People backing out of deals in Trading Post

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bent Stem

Reaction score
Should there be repercussions for people who tell you "I'll take this" then backing out on the deal?

This has happened before here to me and happened twice today by the the same person (not the same person as before).

Should I let people know who does this in the feedback forum?

Shoot a PM to Blackhorse about your concerns and what would be right re: feedback on a balker. He's the Trading Post watchman.

Ah, so that would explain about the "on hold" I saw before and not now. Thought there was something wonky with my browser.

Sucks for you Ed. And anyone who makes a commitment needs to carry it to completion.

Lots of great pipes there for fantastic prices, m'man!

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":qi99oowx said:
Ah, so that would explain about the "on hold" I saw before and not now. Thought there was something wonky with my browser.

Sucks for you Ed. And anyone who makes a commitment needs to carry it to completion.

Lots of great pipes there for fantastic prices, m'man!

Cheers,

RR
Yes, exactly. I wonder how many other people popped-in on the thread only to see the items were already spoken for while the guy was yankin' my chain. I hope they pop back in to check like you did. Other times, like with my big tobacco for sale thread, a couple of people have told me "I'll take these, these, and these; please give total w/shipping". So I mark it "on-hold", box everything up, weigh it, check online for shipping cost, give them a total then they say na, changed my mind.:evil:

Of course it's not a good situation when someone doesn't follow through on a purchase he has said he would do. My position on the thing...

1. Remember that transactions here are solely between the two parties involved. BoB provides the Trading Post as a service to members and is not involved in the workings of the deal in any way, other than to ensure that both parties are qualified members.

2. The Better Business Bureau subsection of the Trading Post is the location in which to post experiences, good or not so good , with other members. If and when this is done I would caution all members to be very judicious in their comments. Sticking to a statement of facts is the best approach...no name calling, uncouth language, etc. as in the rest of the site (not counting the rubber room thing I guess).

3. I'll say this openly even though it violates TP guidelines...there is a rule about a seller being required to make a deal with the first qualified member that meets his stated price, etc. I personally disagree with this, but have never been faced with a situation in which I had to enforce it...one reason being that I deals are done in private (thank goodness). But if it ever DID come up I would stand with a seller not wanting to do business with the person that burned them in the past.

4. Changing one's mind prior to a deal being consummated by the exchange of goods and funds is not a criminal offense. It's just very poor behavior.

The short answer: no, there's no protocol for punishing someone who says they will buy an item, and then doesn't. Nor should there be.

Well put Dave.

I'll only add one simple axiom that I've come to embrace, and which was expressed by Lew Rothman on another board-

A card laid is a card played.

Cheers,

RR

Yes, I tend to agree with that, despite the source. :lol:

I also tend to believe that this is not a typical vendor/buyer environment. The underlying reason for allowing the TP is to give members a place to offer their BROTHERS items they have and want or need to part with. I would like to think that those who approach it as merely a good store in which to make money find it less satisfying than one who approaches it as a brother to brother thing.

Be that as it may, if my brother said he wanted to buy a pipe from me and then had to back out...I would react in a different way than if I was selling to some schmuck off the street. Sure, a potential buyer might have gone a different way, thinking the item was gone. But perhaps a notation like "currently on hold, PM me in case this item becomes available again" or something like that would allow the seller to put that person in a backup position.

Honestly, if it were my REAL brother...I'd kick his ass. But then the brothers I enjoy here are a much better class of people. 8)

obviously it was me since it's my PM after his post. I was bad I changed my mind.. please delete my userid id I'm gone.

Don't leave.  We've all had moment of embarrassment with grounds.  It isn't a huge deal other than being brought out into the open and I don't find that attractive for any party involved.  

Brother Bent, you've bumped that list of tobacco since March.  I'd guess most have selected the tobacco that they desire.  Why don't you offer everything to SmokingPipes where they handle estate and aged offering.  It is a professional operation and will make a reasonable offer.

image20.jpg

JKenP":05wbjrqj said:
Don't leave.  We've all had moment of embarrassment with grounds.  It isn't a huge deal other than being brought out into the open and I don't find that attractive for any party involved.  

Brother Bent, you've bumped that list of tobacco since March.  I'd guess most have selected the tobacco that they desire.  Why don't you offer everything to SmokingPipes where they handle estate and aged offering.  It is a professional operation and will make a reasonable offer.
I, for one agree, don't leave. But you might want to remember...you are your word...you have nothing else in life to hang on to that is exclusively yours...just a thought.  I have often changed my mind after agreeing to do something..but that "word" thing just outweighs what ever else is in the mix. Just my opinion.

As they say, hindsight is 20/20.

As I suggested, you should have done this questioning via PM to the trading post mod in the first place rather than in public, as this thread is probably more damaging than a simple "Not happy" comment in the BBB subsection would have been. But, perhaps that is what you wanted, to publicly out the guy. Doesn't really seem fair to handle it this way, especially since the only thing you've done here in the last two years is try to sell stuff. you don't really participate as a "Brother", you just come here to sell. This whole thing isn't really in the spirit of the forum and is a bit of a black mark on this place. Not trying to make light of what transpired, but let's call a spade a spade. You seem to be upset over a non brotherly transaction when you don't participate in the brotherly nature yourself, you're just a seller, not a forum participator.

This is only my personal opinion, but, it seems silly to have a feedback section with only positive comments desired. If you have a negative experience, a simple factual comment in that section is all that is required. And, everyone knows who the moderators are here, PM's are always answered by the mods.

Probably best to lock this thread at this point before it turns into a mess. If anyone has any concerns over the trading post, or anything else for that matter, PM a moderator.

Ah, so PD and I see eye to eye on this one. Not a surprise...great minds, etc.

As per the suggestion of my fellow wizard, this one is hereby locked.

Last words? One has to know what is expected of them, the 'right way' to do things, in order to follow that path. That, plus the fact that we value character perhaps above all else, and here that's been highlighted yet again. Ultimately, I found myself doing some soul searching due to all this and found that I place a higher value on an active member learning the ropes, but with the potential to contribute significantly, than on one who takes advantage of the site for their own profit and nothing else.

Maybe as a culture we still have traces of that time when we were encouraged to...ask not what our country can do for us, but rather what we can do for our country. I look around this site and see excellent examples on both sides of that ethic. I see those that are users, quick to point a finger if their business is interrupted. I also see those who guide with wisdom and experience...a brotherly barb or gentle humor...leading by example instead of assigning blame. I know what side I aspire to.

Status
Not open for further replies.