Peretti can problem

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongo

Reaction score
I decided to smoke a bowl of LJ Peretti's Scottish Flake this evening. It's been quite a while since I enjoyed it. I like it, but it had gotten lost on the shelf as I smoked other tobaccos.

When I opened the can, I found a lot of rust on the bottom of the lid and around the top of the can. I pulled out the bag of tobacco, and found at least two tablespoons of rust in the bottom of the can. I moved the tobacco into a glass jar, and decided to check the other can of Scottish Flake in my cellar. Sure enough: rust. A lot of it. All of the tobacco is now safely stored in glass. Thankfully, the heavy plastic bags inside of the cans protected the tobacco.

In the same order that included my two cans of Scottish Flake, I also bought one can of Midnight (along with six other cans of various blends). I've been smoking the Midnight on-and-off, and that can's in perfect shape. Midnight seems to include quite a bit of the Peretti Scottish Flake.

I have six other Peretti cans on my shelf, but I'm not going to open them until I'm sure I have enough jars into which I can move the tobacco.

Has anyone else had problems with Peretti cans rusting from the inside out? If so, with which blends did you have problems?

Thanks in advance.

Ooooh boy,
Now I'm getting nervous. I've got pounds of these tins in my tobacco cellar that I've had for years. Hopefully all is well.
:cry:

Yo Mongo, It is my understanding, that this blend is soaked in red wine, this may be the problem, I intend to get some myself, but I will de-cant to impervious jars, Ken.
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: :pirat: :pipe:

Hello Again,
Just made the mad dash to the tobacco cellar and opened up a one pound tin of Peretti's BPC from 2002!!!! Perfect condition. Also a one pound tin of my favorite D-7485 and as fresh as the day it was tinned, no rust no problems. Whew. I've got at least 15 pounds of this stuff in stock from Peretti's, my favorite tobacconist, and I have tins that date back to as far as 10 years or more.
thanks for the heads up mongo. Glad I checked some of my old stash. :D :D

I'm happy to hear that all is well with your Peretti paint cans, Doc. I have six more in my cellar that are unopened, but I'm going to crack them to check for rust as soon as I get some jars. I'd hate to find rust and then be unable to do anything about it when I found it. It may be that I just happened to get a couple of bad cans.

Ken - The first thing I thought of when I found the rust was that it was the red wine that caused the problem. Midnight seems to have a high percentage of that tobacco, and my tin of that tobacco is in great shape.

I'll post my findings when I open the rest of my cans. Hopefully I just had a bit of bad luck.

Be well.