Peretti paint cans!!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ftrplt

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Several years ago on this board, we had a lengthy discussion about various 'baccy tins and how well they stayed airtight thru the "aging" process. Part of our discussion concentrated on the LJ Peretti "paint cans." Quite a few god brothers strongly recommended not using these tins for long-term aging/storing. In particular, our late buddy Kenny (aka Pipetongue) was adamant about getting the product out of those tins and into glass jars!! Today, I've been doing a bit of tobacco "inventory research!!" As the project moved along, there in the back of the "stash" pile, I spied four yellow LJP 8 oz. tins from 2009 (Royal, Century, Tashkent, and Cambridge Flake). Had totally forgotten about them :!: Cans were in great shape, no rust, no dents, and no tobacco aroma/scent to them. Having some large, recently emptied of tobacco, jars; I proceeded to pop the cans. The aroma was wonderful, but the contents had dried a bit. Not bone dry, just drier than I prefer it. All now nicely jarred and in the slightly rehydrating process. Point is...If you have some of these, ya' might want to check on them very closely. I thought mine were air tight; they weren't/aren't. This is not a knock on LJ Peretti, just a head's up regarding this type of tin/can! FWIW :cheers: FTRPLT

Thank you for posting this. The only reason I buy tins is so I can stash 'em and forget about them. This and some other recent posts have me a bit concerned. Is this what they call a paradigm shift? I jest; but now I have to dick around with mason jars and crap? Everything's a pain in the ass nowadays. [Crotchety old boy slinks off muttering to self, stage left.]

RB...IIRC, it's mainly these "paint can type tins. The solidly sealed ones (either coin-opened or the pop-top type) have always worked for me. I do remember some discussion from way back when concerning certain blender's tins not sealing well, but my feeble memory does not remember the particulars!! Perhaps some other Brothers will chime in with their pearls of wisdom/memories ;) :cheers: FTRPLT

I've bought "paint cans" from Peretti for the last 20 years and never thought of them as long term storage containers. They work beautifully if you smoke your tobacco from them, if I wanted to "age" any of their blends, which I usually don't as I like them as they come from Boston or "fresh" as we used to say. As always, if you want to "age" their 'baccy use Mason jars. These "paint cans" are NOT vacuum sealed like the round European tins. They take the 'baccy from their store bulk , put it in the plastic bag, get as much air out tie it up , put it in the can, tap down the lid and box it up and send it your way. No vacuum sealing at all. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":wdfhc26l said:
I've bought "paint cans" from Peretti for the last 20 years and never thought of them as long term storage containers. They work beautifully if you smoke your tobacco from them, if I wanted to "age" any of their blends, which I usually don't as I like them as they come from Boston or "fresh" as we used to say. As always, if you want to "age" their 'baccy use Mason jars. These "paint cans" are NOT vacuum sealed like the round European tins. They take the 'baccy from their store bulk , put it in the plastic bag, get as much air out tie it up , put it in the can, tap down the lid and box it up and send it your way. No vacuum sealing at all. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Yep, all correct. All my other Peretti cans have been jarred shortly after acquisition. These four just got shoved to the "back bench" and remained well hidden for 6 years!!! Just the point not to use them for long-term storing/aging :cheers: FTRPLT

Hmmm. Good info. I have some Royal and Tashkent in cans. I'll jar em' up. Too bad they're not the best for long term storage, they are so damn cool.

I think I noticed that newer Peretti paint cans have gone to a new inside plastic bag with a twist tie closure. This most likely helps retain moisture better that what they used to use. I have a can of #333 that seems quite fresh stored this way and is several years old, etc.

Never had any problems with Peretti cans. I have some old ones in my cellar (I forget how old, but they are from the 90s) and they are all fine. The seal is very good and there has been minimal rust, and the tobacco has always been well preserved. I've had much worse luck with the older C&D tins, for example.

Opened my paint can of Royal Blend and like Blackhorse mentioned the tobacco was tightly wrapped in a plastic bag. Moisture content was perfect and no rust. This probably isn't the best container for aging but it seems to be holding a seal just fine. Perhaps I'll put some paraffin wax around the seal.

Drums, for a while I used to put a bead of silicone glue around the lid to try to improve the quality of the seal. I don't think it made any difference and stopped doing it. But you try your approach and report back to us in a few years. :)

My experience with these has been, if you DON'T open them, they will store the tobacco just fine, the longest I've experienced is 1 year, but once you open them, they don't really do well for long term storage/aging IMHO. I usually smoke out of them on a regular basis using them as their own "humidor" so to speak. I would say that once you open them, if you want to "age" the 'baccy use a Mason jar, :twisted: :twisted: