Peretti Paint Cans

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfredo_buscatti

Reaction score
Last week when I opened one there was rust on the inner lip and at the top, on the inner can. When I pulled the tobacco out there was a lot more.

I alerted them and they said they would give the cans a closer scrutiny. They also said that they do reuse cans.

Even so, I no longer would, not that I have any wish to do so in the present, never consign a can to the cellar for long term aging without inspecting the it first.

Don Alfredo, Those cans were never meant for storage, As soon as I recieve them I de-cant them, Ken :tongue:

I agree with Ken 100%, those cans seem to have been designed for temporary transit packaging only - not suitable for long-term storage.

Indeed - my last few cans were repacked into jars the moment I got them - rust in more than one

They either keep them packed in cans long enough to rust, or never check them before they use them

Great baccy though :)

I've had two of the probably dozen tins I've ordered from them arrive with rust on the inside. One was a pound of Scottish (my favorite) and I could pour the powered rust out of it! As they don't always seal the bag inside well (this one was twisted, kind of, but no twist tie) some of the rust/powder did get in. I picked out about two ounces or so, but the rest looked OK. I had to toss those couple of ounces, as there's something about a iron/rust casing on a good Va flake that just doesn't make it.

Still, I was quite disappointed that such a fine, old company would ship such a wonderful tobacco in such a poor way. I'm assuming because Scottish Flake is a very moist tobacco and the bag wasn't sealed inside, the high humidity set the rust formation into overdrive?

On another totally unrelated to tobacco note, I love their half pound and pound tins once the tobacco is out of them. With a drill, a bit of rabbit fencing and a #10 corn can, you can build a fantastic, collapsing, two story stick stove for backpacking. Mine fits perfectly inside a Ti 1 1/2 qt. pot, and the two together weigh just under 10 ounces.

Natch

This is the second paint can warning I've seen here. I think the other one was about the Peter Heinrich cans. This thread piqued my curiosity, so I decided to inspect all of my paint this morning. ;) I have three paint cans of Heinrichs GS from 2007, and two Reiner LGF cans from 2006. No signs of rust anywhere on the outside of the tins. Still shiny and new. I don't know if the Peretti cans are similar, but the Heinrich cans look identical to the Reiner cans.

I opened a Heinrich can to look inside and not only was there no rust inside, but the long slices look and smell delicious. There was no bag in the can, just a few very long flakes all rolled up and laying on their side. Beautifully done! I'll take some up to the mountains with me today to complete the test. :D I don't think I'll worry about opening any more of my aging paint cans until I'm ready for them. (If I buy a Peretti can, I will open it up and jar it right away.)

I think humidity probably makes a big difference in developing rusty tins. Humidity is relatively low where I live and I never see rust develop on the outside of my tins.