Peretti's "Paint Can Tins"

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dock

Reaction score
Does anyone know if LJ Peretti's "paintcan" syle tins are suitable for long term aging of the tobacco? I'm not sure if they're airtight and I'm contemplating moving my 1 lb stock of Somerset Slice into mason jars if they're not...

Move'm Son, Those paint cans were not meant for long term storage, get'm "under glass" Dad

If the "paint tin" is like the Reiner Long Golden Flake tins, I've had no problem with the Reiner after 4 - 5 years.

I have five of these "paint tins." 'Bout a year old. They all pass the "smell" test. I can discern no tobacco scent from them. So...Are they airtight, or not???? My curiosity is piqued!!!!! FTRPLT

I've gone through maybe 20 or 30 of the bigger tins. If you are lucky and got a perfectly round tin with a perfectly round cover and the thing did not get knocked about in transportation or storage, they will maybe provide a decent seal. Maybe. I dried out a pound of Omega one time because I thought a tin that was in good shape in fact had a bad seal because of a flaw on the rim that I did not see. Ball jars are the only way to go for long term storage IMO. Also, as to the manufacturer tins. As I'm sure you seen on other forums, the prevailing wisdom is that round tins provide better long term storage then square tins. I've found this to be true. For some reason my tins of Samuel Gawith and Gawith & Hogarth, et al have not held up as well as the Dunhill's, Astley's, Escudo, etc.

My curiosity is also piqued ftrplt.

Slow Puffs":j9jxkvvh said:
If the "paint tin" is like the Reiner Long Golden Flake tins, I've had no problem with the Reiner after 4 - 5 years.
That's good to know Puffs. I have a couple of the Reiner cans that are 3 years old and a few Peter Heinrichs cans that are close to that. I know what's next in line for me to open.....

tin man":wfaosckc said:
My curiosity is also piqued ftrplt.

Slow Puffs":wfaosckc said:
That's good to know Puffs. I have a couple of the Reiner cans that are 3 years old and a few Peter Heinrichs cans that are close to that. I know what's next in line for me to open.....
To that, I can add that I have 10 year-old Reiner Long Flake and 15 year-old Peter Heinrichs that are still perfect, apart for small rust spots on the latter. However, the cans are different from the Peretti's ones, therefore it may be a bit dangerous to extrapolate...

Good to know. I was in no big hurry to open one up anyway.
Thanks for the info!

Gentlemen:
I have at least 10 pounds of LJ Peretti blends in their original paint can tins that have been cellared for over 10 years and all in perfect condition. If you are concerned about the seal do as others suggest. Use Mason jars.
Doc

I've only had about a half dozen of their 8 oz. tins over the past few years, and the tin's seal doesn't seem that airtight to me. The tobacco is wrapped in plastic, but again, I'm not that confident in the whole system for long term storage, so I've moved them all over to pint Mason jars.

On the other hand, those tins, when combined with a standard corn/bean can, make a perfect base for a collapsible, two level stick stove for backpacking. :D So I love those tins, just not for storing tobacco.

Natch