Perique-laced Squadron Leader?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarlockBob

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I got an email from smokingpipes talking about it today, so naturally I picked up 3 or so tins. Does anyone know anything about said tobacco? They alluded to it being an older recipe for Squadron Leader, but that would seem like a MASSIVE change in flavor to me, just going off of what I know about perique and the current blend for Squadron Leader.

Not sure, but I bought two tins so I could be.

Evidently the original recipe had perique in it, but was altered some where along the way. Can't wait to try it. Love the older label too.

I ordered two tins as well. SL is my go-to English blend, and it will be interesting to see what the added Perique does to it. I also like the retro-ish tin art.

Although I'm not into Lat blends these days, I did used to like SL when I was. I'll be interested to read some reviews and what kind of impact the Perique makes.

Jim, have you procured some of this yet?

Cheers,

RR

This was offered before at the Chicago show.
I missed it the last time, maybe I'll have a chance now? :suspect:

Sounds delicious....

Been crunching on Perique lately......

More please.......

Who knows?? I have three tins coming in, so I'll let you folks know on Monday or Tuesday.

I quite like Squadron Leader, so this should be.... something. :suspect:

I was sucked in by the limited edition aspect and I dig the green label as well. It sounds like something I'll like so it shouldn't be too bad of a purchase. I only went for 2 tins.

In the same boat, like SL in general. Have a couple tins on the way. It is a cool looking tin.

Out of stock at SP. Oooooweeee!...now I really want some! (Just foolin'. Ain't crazy about the original.)

Richard Burley":4lohz35u said:
Out of stock at SP. Oooooweeee!...now I really want some! (Just foolin'. Ain't crazy about the original.)
Wow, 2,000 tins went quick. :shock:

DrumsAndBeer":zl0e0emd said:
Richard Burley":zl0e0emd said:
Wow, 2,000 tins went quick. :shock:
Was gonna buy some for the hell of it. I agree about the tin art. It just looks so damn retro-cool.

Ah, well, get a good picture of the old label, print it on sticky paper and slap it on a regular tin, throw some Perique at it and call it good...

BAM!!

Warlock, if you decide to sell a tin or two please let me know. I've never tried SL and would like to; the added perique sounds interesting.

I got my three tins in yesterday; didn't have time to get any packed up and ready to go, but I've got a pipe ready as I write this.

It is very very moist in the tin; Even as a ribbon cut I let a bowl's worth sit out for about 15 minutes, and then packed it in the pipe, leaving it open at the top to suck a bit more moisture out.

Initial smell puts it at quite a bit brighter and much more fruity than regular SL; it definitely seems to have a decent amount of perique in it.
I leave for my lunch break in a couple of minutes, will report back after I've smoked(or partially smoked) this bowl.

I really hope you like it and I'm looking forward to your initial impressions. If positive I'll add it to my must buy and try list.

:cheers:

Initial thoughts(haven't smoked them side-by-side yet, so we'll see after today) - It seems to be brighter, sweeter, and more mellow than SL. The perique adds a little bit more nicotine, but all in all tones down the blend, which is not what I expected. SL is delicious, and I've always liked it, but I've noticed that the flavor profile tends to lean more on the flat end; you get some saltiness from the latakia, some brighter tones from the virginias, and a hint of spice from the orientals, but all in all I'd say the flavors tend to congregate in the same place on the Tobacco Taste Pyramid. I do realize I just made that up, it sounded good in my head. :cyclops:

The perique seems to bring out the best of these, while adding in a richer, more mellow flavor that isn't directly present in plain ol' SL.

Also, I did DGT this bowl; it gets a bit hot on the tongue, but it definitely accentuates the brighter flavors without becoming too rough.

I'd say it's a pretty tasty blend, that improves upon SL as we know it today. Maybe they shouldn't have changed the recipe in the first place? :lol!: