Personal defense handgun suggestions for women?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DoverPipes":2j5v8hy0 said:
...What about a Glock 42 in .380???? Have you thought about that model yet?
Yeah...they've already shot some Glocks. They didn't like them.

I appreciate your inputs, amigo, and I fully agree that they need to be comfortable and proficient with whatever they use. It won't do them much good if they're not.

newjok10.png

Vito: Not a huge fan of the Glock trigger either. That's why I don't carry my G26 on a regular basis.

Curious to see what they pick.

Bro Dover. Mind sharing what you do carry?
The Walther and Springfield were good suggestions. This is almost funny considering your comment. I had an XDs 9mm that I really liked but I lost it in a trade deal to secure the Mrs Walther. Lol. I've considered a Range Officer.

OK, I see some progress has been made in a general direction. Just wanted to drop my two cents as another female on the board.

I have 3 guns I rotate for carrying depending on my outfit/backpack options. I'm 5'3 and 135 pounds with hands tinier than Trump... So this is what I have.

Smallest: Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380. Not my favorite because the trigger pressure is pretty tough and as I said, I have tiny hands. BUT this is my wife's FAVORITE. She has much stronger wrists from working at a factory and it's like nothing to her. Easy to hide. We use an in-the-pants holster. It's her usual everyday carry and she is 5'5 and 125 pounds.

Medium: Walther P22. This gun is so much FUN. Ammo is inexpensive. Fits in my hand like a glove. Stopping power isn't the worry. As my CWP instructor said, "Oh! Lot's of people have died from .22!" when I brought up that I know most people carry a bigger caliber. Don't carry it everyday because I upgraded...

Largest (that isn't that large): Walther CCP 9mm. The wife bought me this one after I decided I didn't love the .380 as much as I thought I did. What a dream! The trigger pull is easy. Still fits in my hand like a sexy, deadly gun. Use an in the pants holster with the one as well but it mostly rides in my backpack every day.

Let the girls feel them out. Have them try in the pants holster, appendix carry, lower back carry, etc. As I believe it has been mentioned, the important part is to be comfortable with it regardless of caliber. It took me awhile to get used to having a gun on my back (squatting instead of bending over, sitting comfortably, etc.). Get 'em comfortable and keep 'em safe :)

kaitlyn3837":59amtgbt said:
OK,
Lower back carry.. It took me awhile to get used to having a gun on my back
My caring outweighs my reluctance to be THAT GUY.
Carrying small of back is an absolute No-No. You are one hard shove, motorcycle wreck, wrestling match, trip, from riding a wheel chair for the rest of your life.
Whoever invented SOB needs to be shot in the kneecaps.
Your spine is tough but it's absolutely no match for a chunk of steel tucked tightly against it.

Back in the mid 80's I taught a women's self-defense, shooting, course. For a woman who is not going to shoot regularly I always go with a small frame 38 (hammerless). Some of the new ones are quite light. "Light" can be problematic---recoil. I go with Glasers--reduces recoil. More importantly, how are they going to carry? Once the decision has been made to carry--it has to be a FULL TIME thing. So, buy a good gun purse. They are not cheap, but they give you a solid pocket for the gun...and only the gun. Teach her a "rock steady" firing position...extend the purse (hand around the gun), touch him with the purse and pull the trigger. He can't defend what he can't see.

puros_bran":jwzwkv7o said:
Bro Dover. Mind sharing what you do carry?
The Walther and Springfield were good suggestions.  This is almost funny considering your comment. I had an XDs 9mm that I really liked but I lost it in a trade deal to secure the Mrs Walther. Lol.  I've considered a Range Officer.
My daily carry is usually a Kimber Pro-Carry that has been improved with a Wilson Combat Flat Wire Spring and Guide Rod Kit, Wilson Combat Titanium Firing Pin, and trigger polish job.

I also carry the aforementioned Taurus Titanium 850 CIA .38 Spl.

I rarely carry my issued HK P-2000 .40 S&W. Never was a huge fan of that model, but I am forced to carry it at work. I am on my fifth one as I type this. With the amount of rounds that I put through it, the gun doesn't hold up. They are notorious for having the trigger packs "go South" w/o warning. We have also seen the area underneath the barrel, crack for no apparent reason.  That's why I don't carry it all day. I know, sounds stupid that they would give me a POS to carry at work, but that's the Government, low bid & BS quality control.

I am looking at picking up a Walther PPX in .40 S&W and get rid of my S&W Sigma 40F. The Glock 26 is a closet gun at the moment for no real reason other than I don't like the trigger action on it.

puros_bran":jwzwkv7o said:
kaitlyn3837":jwzwkv7o said:
OK,
Lower back carry.. It took me awhile to get used to having a gun on my back  
My caring outweighs my reluctance to be THAT GUY.
Carrying small of back is an absolute No-No. You are one hard shove, motorcycle wreck, wrestling match, trip, from riding a wheel chair for the rest of your life.  
Whoever invented SOB needs to be shot in the kneecaps.
Your spine is tough but it's absolutely no match for a chunk of steel tucked tightly against it.
The most useless & dangerous way to carry is in the SOB. Most people can't successfully protect the weapon or access it, when it is in an SOB holster.  As you stated PB, I also wouldn't want a hunk of metal pressing into my spine either.

It would be hard to beat a Sig P320 compact. I'm also a fan of the Beretta px4. But, if i had college age girls I would put then in the S&W 642. Almost impossible to screw up.

Can't beat a Ruger Lc9!
Great pistol and my wife loves it also! As soon as I get my SR40, that will be her Carry pistol.
Zach

Br'er riff raff: The Ruger LCP looks like a sweet little piece, and I'm a big Ruger fan. Who knows...I might've bought the LCP for myself if the commie cabal in Hackramento hadn't made it illegal.

Alas, this is California—a gerrymandered state with an overabundance of (invective epithet redacted) who've convinced themselves that more coercion and less freedom is the solution to every problem in human interaction.

In the firearms domain, I think California has a competition going with Massachusetts to see who can win the coveted Third Reich Renaissance Award. Methinks the contest is too close to call.  :evil:

newjok10.png

No worries, Maryland is always trying to out-do those states in via for the most difficult handgun purchases.
I hadn't bought a handgun in Maryland, since 2008.
Now, you have to fill out on online background check ($75), get fingerprinted ($75), complete a four hour training course ($200) and then wait two months for approval for a "Handgun Qualifier License". Then, when you finally get approval, and go to the shop to pick up, you fill out all that paper work again, this time hard-copies. Then, wait seven days. Convenient.
License to carry? IF I had been shot five times, they'd still turn down my $150 application.
Somehow I persevered and made the purchase.
So the LCP lives in my suitcase/hotel use.

My son-in-law owns a pretty big shop near Martinsburg WV. You walk in, pay and walk-out with anything save full auto. There has to be some middle ground...and any one can carry, no permit or training needed at all.

Al

Vito":h8d4kvoc said:
Br'er riff raff: The Ruger LCP looks like a sweet little piece, and I'm a big Ruger fan. Who knows...I might've bought the LCP for myself if the commie cabal in Hackramento hadn't made it illegal.

Alas, this is California—a gerrymandered state with an overabundance of (invective epithet redacted) who've convinced themselves that more coercion and less freedom is the solution to every problem in human interaction.

In the firearms domain, I think California has a competition going with Massachusetts to see who can win the coveted Third Reich Renaissance Award. Methinks the contest is too close to call.  :evil:

newjok10.png

That "shall not be infringed" stuff just boggles a statist mind. How could less government control and more personal freedom work? It'd be the Wild West. Or so they say every time a city/state/federal law ALLOWS a law abiding citizen to arm his or her self.