Perspex stems

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ftrplt

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Need a little help/advice from my friends on cleaning these things. I have two that I'm having a "fit" trying to clean out all the nic stain. I've tried thick bristle pipe cleaners, baking soda, Evercleer, dish washing soap, etc. Vinegar is next on the list. Is there something I dare soak them in that will loosen the stain? Any thoughts greatly appreciated!!!! Thank you in advance for your responses/s. :cheers: FTRPLT

I had issues cleaning white bits/stems in the past and came across the best to date.

Efferdent. Or any whitening false teeth bubble tablets. Doesn't hurt any polymer, ivory, etc. Toss in a tablet in a glass of warm water, set the stem in and walk away. About an hour or so later the job should be done!

I've used bleach with good results. I just dip a cleaner in bleach and shove it down the shoot and let it set for a day.
Gets a lot if not all it out. YMMV ;)

Acetone is also an option, but you have to be careful. Acetone will actually soften and "melt" the plastic on the inside of the draft hole taking all the old crud with it. It should be used sparingly as it can cause damage. Try not to get it on the outside of the stem. I use it for really bad perspex stems.

Acetone!!!! Whew, if it'll take of nail polish, it should clean a stem!!! Your words of caution will be taken to heart!! Thank you :) :cheers: FTRPLT

I've had excellent results in the past using just bleach, never failed for me!! Let's us know what you decided to use and the results.
GOOD LUCK.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I've a couple pipes with Perspex stems, and this info is well appreciated. Thanks all, and I'll try the least invasive method first using the efferdent.

What a great resource BoB is!

8)

Cheers,

RR

Old saying..."you're supposed to learn something new every day." I most certainly have!!!!! :D :D

:cheers: FTRPLT

I'll report on my experience/s!!!

I've heard of people using plain white toothpaste -- it has a slightly gritty texture that may help removing the buildup.

Here's the deal, Lucille!!! I ended up with three Perspex stems to "deep" clean. Two GBDs and one Radice twin bore. I started with the Efferdent; not once but twice. Helped a bit, but not enough. I then proceeded to use both ISO alcohol and/or bleach. My success doing this was mucho better. I kept alternating with all three solutions using bristle pipe cleaners with more than decent results. Got all three stems (the visible parts) pretty damn clean!! The tenon on one of the GBDs proved impossible to get completely "clear," but better than before I started. I'm still a bit confused as to why the ISO alcohol worked so well but the EverCleer did not. Gonna' have to check that out some more. Same with the baking soda. I thought that would be abrasive enough to help, but it really didn't. Maybe I should have used the baking soda after soaking the stems. Thanx to all for your kind suggestions. Perspex looks kinda' neat; but it's really a PITA :p :p :p :cheers: FTRPLT

Glad it worked out for ya sir and ya got'em cleaned. ;)

As for a Ever-clear and ISO, ones Ethol and ones Methol.
Ethol is for drinking as you know and although it'll tear your stomach up with over indulgence it won't soften plastic.
Methol as you know isn't made to drink, (although I know some characters that do, but, that's another story for another time) but, will react with some plastics and soften them like a solvent. ;)

Glad it worked out for you in the end. I've only had good luck with bleach, worked well every time for me. Acetone would clean faster but you have a much greater risk of permanently damaging the stem quickly.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Cartaphilus":mls0x4s9 said:
Glad it worked out for ya sir and ya got'em cleaned.  ;)

As for a Ever-clear and ISO, ones Ethol and ones Methol.
Ethol is for drinking as you know and although it'll tear your stomach up with over indulgence it won't soften plastic.
Methol as you know isn't made to drink, (although I know some characters that do, but, that's another story for another time) but, will react with some plastics and soften them like a solvent. ;)
Cart...To be perfectly honest, I had forgotten the differences in the two. Should have known better regarding the EverCleer. I use it to sanitize and, of course, should have remembered it doesn't soften plastic!!! What was I thinking??? :p :p :p :cheers: FTRPLT

Lonecoyote":41dcmlvo said:
Glad it worked out for you in the end. I've only had good luck with bleach, worked well every time for me. Acetone would clean faster but you have a much greater risk of permanently damaging the stem quickly.  

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
I wanted to try the acetone...but quite frankly just wasn't comfortable doing it!!!! :cheers: FTRPLT

Glad you got them cleaned out to your satisfaction! I've always wanted one with a Perspex stem but always said "I ain't dealing with cleaning that"! Stay on top of it and hopefully it'll stay nice.

Jim