Peter Heeschen pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m2j3t6

Reaction score
I gotta brag a little. I just got two new Peter Heeschen pipes. One is an S grade egg shape and the other is an A grade dublin. As soon as I'm able I'll post some picks of them. I'm a Heeschen fan of the first order. His shapes and the quality of briar are second to none in my opinion and the man himself is a true gentleman. Oh, and they smoke like a dream. The air passage is totally conicle from the button to the bowl and smoke like they have been opened up. If you have never tried one you must treat yourself. Find an estate if you can since they are expensive but worth every penny in my opinion. I now have a dozen of them. Heeschen's and Marlin Flake/Old Gowrie are desert island picks. For anyone here who has one, what do you think?

Congrats!...Peter indeed makes some gorgeous pipes.I had the chance to meet him in person in NY a few years ago.He was passing through on his way to Hawaii on a deep sea fishing trip.He's funny warm and a bit sarcastic,much like the other Danish pipemakers I've been lucky enough to meet.He had about ten or twelve pipes with him.All had gorgeous grain and were beautifully balanced.All were way too small for me though.The average size was a grp 3-4.I prefer a grp 6 or better.Hopefully you'll be able to post some pics :bounce:

Best,
Dock
:pipe:

Dock, I totally agree about the size of his pipes and the personality of many Danes, in general.

CP":x6uixb64 said:
Dock, I totally agree about the size of his pipes and the personality of many Danes, in general.
I concur CP,
My favorite carver also happens to be one of the most delightful danes you'd ever want to meet.I had occasion to share a couple of drinks and excellent conversation with Kurt Balleby last year.The amazing quality of his pipes are second only to his award winning personality...

Best,
Dock
:pipe:

Dock, I own 2 Balleby O pipes with 7/8 bowl diameters, about 6 inches long. His recent pipes seem to be a lot smaller. I talked with him at a Chicago show and found him to be very nice.

Doc, I know what you mean about the size of Heeschen pipes. Being on the small side myself it's one of the things I like about them. I generally smoke grp 3-4 pipes so the size is good for me. I do have one billiard that is a solid grp 5. I got the pipe from Mark Chambers who said it was a special order from Peter. I also have a few Joao Reis pipes which are grp 5-6. These are excellent pipes but again they're very expensive. Some of Joao's shapes are too much for me as I prefer more traditional shapes with a little flare. I've had a couple Balleby's in the past with some beautiful grain but the highest was a grade 4.

Doc, I just went through the pics of your pipes and whatnot. :shock: That is quite a collection. I'm going to show these to my wife so that she will realize just how reasonable I am ;)

First off, Dock, what a great tobacciana collection you have. It is just spectacular. Loved looking at the pictures.

But back to the thread:

I am a big admirer of Peter Heeschen's pipes and of Peter, himself. I have several and they are all terrific pieces. They are beautifully crafted of first rate materials. As smokers, they are first rate.

I have two that have larger capacity bowls. The majority of Peter's work may be smaller but they may be because most Europeans prefer smaller pipes. I'm not sure about smokers here. I like all sizes depending on the tobacco I'm smoking.

Like you, I also have several Balleby pipes and I am quite fond of those, as well. The design and finish work that Kurt does is as good as can be done, IMHO.

I have 17-18 Heeschens and love em all. Peter's pipes are small, light, well balanced and they smoke really well. Not sure how Peter gets such a nice open draw out of such a small pipe, but the results are marvelous.

Chopstix. Peter told me he gets such a great draw because the air hole is totally conicle from the button to the chamber floor. I love his work. I normally go for more traditional shapes. Billiards mostly, apples and bulldogs. I like the bit of flair to Peter's pipes.

ZC, it's nice to find someone who likes Heeschens as much as I do. I'm planning on attending the Chicago show in May probably just on Saturday to meet him in person. We have exchanged emails for a couple of years and he seems like a first rate gentleman. I have a dozen of them at present and plan to get more.

m2j3t6":6i4cfkgl said:
ZC, it's nice to find someone who likes Heeschens as much as I do.
Add another voice to the fan club. ;)

You can see some of mine here.

gl very nice very nice. I am particularly fond of his cognac/brandy shape and have one being made at present. I also have a P shape on hold at smokingpipes.com. They have a great selection on hand at any given moment. My daughter is coming over today so I'll corner her and get picks of mine up here. Peter makes a great dublin shape too. I've seen several variations of this shape from him.

I spoke with him the other day and he asked me if I thought he should advertise on this forum and I told him most definately. I'm sure he would make larger pipes for anyone who asks. I say again, these are wonderful smokers and as you can see from Greg's pics they're beautiful pipes as well.

I know I sound like a commercial but I just love his pipes.

chopstix, I would love to see you pipes too. Can you post some pics?

If you click on the picture it should enlarge. Not the best pictures but I'm just happy I got them on the forum.