Peter Stokkebye 41 Night Bear Rainforest Edition

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tombstone Smoker

Reaction score
No this isn't about blending Cube Cut with Sun Bear (gotcha!)

It is about the power of PS41 to both lure and dissuade a 300lb black bear.

I only smoke Huck Finn style - outdoors and solo. Sometimes this takes place in my neighborhood cemetery (hence the name Tombstone Smoker) or sometimes in the deep backcountry. In either case, it's a gnarly, big-tree rainforest.

Last night's dusk smoke called for PS41. This is what I'll smoke when I run out of ideas. A simple way to close the day.

Puffing away, I hear the unmistakable sounds of a bear creeping up close in the ravine behind me. Downhill, but definitely down wind. He knows I'm there. Just to make sure, I bellow my big-belly growl to inform I have a set of lungs too.

This didn't bother him much. He just kept coming, and popped up on ridgeline to my right. Naturally, I backed off about 30 feet to give him some space to work the foliage for food. Being only halfway through the bowl, I was in no mood for a change or bluff charge.

I stood up and stared, and he just kept working the bushline. Occasionally he would reach up and pull down branches or a small tree to tooth-tear the foliage. This was a good-looking bruin. Nice healthy pelt and about 300lbs.

Most of the time, he was down wind, so I did my best to keep sending clouds of burning Burley in his general direction. Only man has the power of fire in his hand. Every sensible bear knows this.

Occasionally, he would pause from his fall-prep fattening feed to square-eye me and sniff the smoke. likewise, I kept puffing. No stand off this time. Just two dudes quietly and deliberately going about their sundown business. Eventually he bumped off, to browse his was down a receding slope to the south.

I shot some video, but it's short and shitty, because, quite frankly, I was trying to have a good smoke. I managed to clip a few blurry stills from it though.

Bear encounters - I have lost count of their amount this season. It's been a good year.

Always good to bump into another beast with excellent taste in tobacco 👍

Tombstone 🪦

PS: See if you can spot the Easter egg of a MM cob resting on Christ's cross 😎

Attachments

• 20220825_193332.jpg
    20220825_193332.jpg
    830 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220825_194827.jpg
    20220825_194827.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220825_193257.jpg
    20220825_193257.jpg