Peterson blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Revisited an old acquaintance recently - Peterson Irish Whiskey. There's one you don't hear much about these days!

Last I had this was back around '01 or so, and remember it being nice enough. And the other week, musing on the Peterson XL26 I have in the works, remembered I'd gotten in a tin of this some time back.

Where it was located was a mystery however, since I'm not very disciplined in storing stuff. So, it could be anywhere - like on a bookshelf shared by books, in a closet with misc junk, under the bed, you get the idea...

Finally found it after many unsuccessful tries. Tin dated from '12 so it has some age on it.

Very pleasantly surprised to see I still enjoy this. Quite ready to smoke out of the tin being pretty much a shag cut and of a moisture level that I appreciate - that being on the dryer side of things.

Tried a couple different pipes, and have settled on the Tinsky '15 BoB POTY as the current best match.

Have to say that the flavours have opened up a bit since the first few bowls. It's quite rich and dark, med bodied, with a slight nic kick. Holds my attention throughout the bowl and burns right down to ash with no moisture. Requires but a few re-lights.

Can't say I've paid that much attention to the flavor profile to write a description like Jim would, but in general I get a nuttiness from the burleys and something that might best be described as bordering on dark stone fruits like black cherry or purple plum combined with a bit of walnut if that makes any sense!  :scratch:

In any case, whatever Whiskey topping was used on this isn't in evidence to me, at least so far. And that should have been what was to be expected upon opening the tin, but it just wasn't there. Not that I'm complaining, mind.

Will this become a staple at chez Brewdude? Hard to say at this point. Suffice to say that it's an enjoyable a bowl as I've had, and may merit consideration going forward!

:bom:

Seems to me I also have a tin of Irish Oak, and Perfect Plug from that same shipment. Now where might those be?

:?:

Anyone here dipping into Peterson blends these days?

Cheers,

RR

I had a thing for Irish Flake for a while. I used to smoke it when it was packaged in the small rectangular anchovie type tins. It was a stout smoke but yet at the same time it had a certain sense of refinement. Then something changed with it. The current iteration in the square sardine style tin is a bit different, not bad, just not the blend I remember enjoying. I have one of those small rectangular tins left. I have switched over to Old Dark Fired which is better and more affordable.

A few years back I smoked through most of a tin of Irish Oak. Decent blend but not one I would buy again.

DrumsAndBeer":b46b1cjl said:
I had a thing for Irish Flake for a while. I used to smoke it when it was packaged in the small rectangular anchovie type tins. It was a stout smoke but yet at the same time it had a certain sense of refinement. Then something changed with it. The current iteration in the square sardine style tin is a bit different, not bad, just not the blend I remember enjoying. I have one of those small rectangular tins left. I have switched over to Old Dark Fired which is better and more affordable.

A few years back I smoked through most of a tin of Irish Oak. Decent blend but not one I would buy again.
I have a tin of Irish flake waiting for me to pop. Just got it, so I'm going to have to go through some opens... regardless I'm looking forward to that and a sample of Old Dark Fired my B&M gave me to try tonight, I will be digging into that this weekend :twisted:

DrumsAndBeer":rteasfc5 said:

Its funny you mention that Irish Flake changed with the advent of the square tins. When I got a newer tin I thought it wasn't quite the same. I remember the smaller tins being much stronger and natural tasting. The new tins were much smoother by comparison. I figured my taste buds had just evolved (or perhaps deteriorated) so I didn't really give it a second thought. I think you're right. It's a little different.

3P's and Old Dublin are my other two faves.

Irish Flake, University Flake, and PPP are all very nice blends - actually, I think I'll have to look at the cellar...I might need to load up on PPP again, soon.

Other than those three, though, I've had bad luck with Peterson. They all bite me pretty badly. I don't have the problem a lot of people run into with MacBaren, but boy can those Petes do a number on my tongue!

The change in the tins signals the shift for the manufacturing from KK. The new Rattrays, such as Stirling and Wallace Flakes, might be closer to the 'old' Petersons. If you examine the compositions of the new Rattray lineup, you will see parallels to Old Dublin and such.

hp
les

I find the quality of the tobacco used in Peterson blends to be exceptional.

Favs: Irish Flake, University Flake, Sunset Breeze

So, so: Irish Oak

Stay away: Sherlock Holmes

The only ones that came close to biting were the Sunset Breeze and the Sherlock Holmes, the rest were smooth sailing.

Peterson Tobacco is just one company's tobacco I can't seem to get. It's a fine quality tobacco but the ones I've tried were awful. I'm sure it has to do with my chemistry because so many others like them. I will say they make some very good pipes. So far I haven't smoked a Peterson pipe that wasn't a stellar smoker. :)

AJ

I've tried them all

Irish Oak is my "stranded on an island" tobacco but I also love Irish Flake. I also buy a tin of University Flake once or twice a year.

Without a doubt Peterson University Flake is my favorite of the Peterson bunch. If it were not for the plum/berry topping the Va/Bur quality of this blend reminds me of the Va/Bur quality of Stonehaven. Recently got my hands on 8 tins of University Flake at a close out deal from a B&M that closed it's doors.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Is it just me, or has University Flake changed for the worse.

I love the old UV, nice berry topping and good nic hit.

The new UV has less flavor and more tongue burn.

I'm really bummed...

Todd

Irish Whisky is definitively an under rated blend. Having tried the Murray's version of it, I find that K & K, when they took over production, did a way better job.
I haven't tried the new Mac Baren version of it. Or it is made by Orlik? I can't remember.

taharris":1sh7y08b said:
Is it just me, or has University Flake changed for the worse.

I love the old UV, nice berry topping and good nic hit.

The new UV has less flavor and more tongue burn.

I'm really bummed...

Todd
I noticed what you stated about UF, whereas the UF from roughly 5 years ago had more plum/berry topping I agree. Also UF use to smoke great fresh, now it needs a minimum of 3 years aging or you will get that tongue bite. Just make sure you smoke this Flake well rubbed out and on the dry side. The newer UF, dark blue tin is made by Scandinavian Tobacco Group. The lighter blue tin was made in Germany by Kohlhase & Kopp. Many moons ago made by Murray.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

From TobaccoReviews.com...

"Notes: After K&K lost the Peterson range to Mac Baren, they did not want to waste their recipes. They tweaked them a little and simply renamed the old Peterson line to be re-released under the Rattray's label: Malcolm Flake being Erinmore Flake; Sterling Flake being Irish Flake; and Wallace Flake being University Flake."

Adam

AdamCordray":28rzj1iw said:
From TobaccoReviews.com...

"Notes: After K&K lost the Peterson range to Mac Baren, they did not want to waste their recipes. They tweaked them a little and simply renamed the old Peterson line to be re-released under the Rattray's label: Malcolm Flake being Erinmore Flake; Sterling Flake being Irish Flake; and Wallace Flake being University Flake."

Adam
Do you know what year that happened?

taharris":w2l6z5la said:

I don't know what year that happened, I'm sorry. I've only been smoking a pipe since February -- still learning quite a bit. I will see what I can dig up on the matter.

Adam

AdamCordray":p19dd08x said:
taharris":p19dd08x said:

I don't know what year that happened, I'm sorry.  I've only been smoking a pipe since February -- still learning quite a bit.  I will see what I can dig up on the matter.

Adam
I think 2013, + or - a year...

Lord Guyrox":u76if800 said:
AdamCordray":u76if800 said:
taharris":u76if800 said:

I don't know what year that happened, I'm sorry.  I've only been smoking a pipe since February -- still learning quite a bit.  I will see what I can dig up on the matter.

Adam
Yep. That's about the time that UF and IF went down hill. :cry:

Todd

taharris":c1u93te3 said:
Lord Guyrox":c1u93te3 said:
AdamCordray":c1u93te3 said:
taharris":c1u93te3 said:

Adam
Yep. That's about the time that UF and IF went down hill.  :cry:

Todd
Try Wallace Flake. It's K & K'S UF with minor changes. ;)

Myself I like Peterson's 3 P's and Irish flake, both excellent with a little age on'em. ;)