Peterson blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always found UF too berry for me, and IF seemed one-dimensional with the emphasis on strength and not flavor. And that's based on my memory of the stuff I was smoking back around '01 or so.........all of which may or may not apply to what's being produced currently.

Cheers,

RR

Let us know how they compare Todd -- I picked up the pipe well after that transition occurred so I don't have any reference to what the old Irish Flake and University Flake were like. I do have a few tins of Stirling flake kickin' around the cellar, but haven't tried it yet.

Adam

AdamCordray":3segjd0v said:
Let us know how they compare Todd -- I picked up the pipe well after that transition occurred so I don't have any reference to what the old Irish Flake and University Flake were like.  I do have a few tins of Stirling flake kickin' around the cellar, but haven't tried it yet.

Adam
I tried the Wallace Flake tonight side by side with some University Flake from 2010.  The WF is much more burly forward. I didn't detect much Virginia at all.  The WF is a bit more harsh at the beginning but gets better about 1/3 of the way down. The plum flavor is nearly undetectable.  The UF is much more creamy and has slightly more plum.

To me the WF is not as good as the old UF by far, but still better than the new UF.   :(  

Nic content is about the same.

If anyone has any old UF that they want to get rid of, please PM me.

I will try the Sterling Flake tomorrow and will report back.

Todd

I just posted this in the "what are you smoking" sub-forum but thought it was worth repeating here-

Yesterday, I opened a tin of Peterson Irish Oak dated to a purchase in '12. Don't remember ever having this before. The tin kept it's vacuum seal and I heard a "whoosh" when I prised it open. Moisture content was very much on the dry side, but I suppose that's the way it was tinned. And the way I like it anyway!

Ribbon cut, almost a shag. Packs easily but needs to be packed loose or it compresses too much. Now on the second bowl, in my Ser Jacopo Per Aspira Cherrywood estate.

The tin description says - " A rich blend of Brazilian and African Virginia leaf with Cavendish and rare Louisiana Perique".

Seems pleasant enough so far, but a completely new flavor profile for me. Hard to describe the flavor components but will ponder this as I get through the next couple bowls and try and post my thoughts later. And it will open up as well now that it's exposed to the air. And yes, I jarred it up immediately as I don't want this to dry out further.

Cheers,

RR

p.s. This purchase was made in conjunction with the Irish Whisky in the OP as well as a tin of PPP, all of the same date. I have yet to open the PPP. That's next. Never had that before either iirc.

As far as Peterson blends go I've also had UF, IF, and OD back around '01 or so. When I was into Lat blends I found the OD pleasant enough. Didn't care for UF at all, found it too fruity. And IF seemed to be all about the nic and low on flavor, also very thin bodied. So those were a non-starter for revisiting.

Yet there is now a new mfg for IF and UF( as well as the others)  since my experience in '01, which may prove different. Or so I've read. I may well go back in and check them out.

Finally got a round tuit and opened up the PPP last week.

Wasn't sure I was going to like this at first, as the initial bowl wasn't very pleasant. Also, not sure I prepped it properly since it's a fairly firm plug and a little moister than I like. All to say that the first bowl was packed too tight and I dumped it halfway after a few trials to get it loosened up.

Now onto the 5th or 6th bowl, and have to say it's growing on me. In fact today I had the best smoke so far out of it. Still a bit moister than I'd like, but found that I need to just gravity fill this with virtually no tamping. Then it burns down with only a few re-lights.

Tried a couple different prep methods -

1. Cutting off thin layers (1/16") with the grain using a very sharp knife, and then rubbing out like a flake.

2. Cutting off as above but then slicing into 1/8" strips with the grain, and finally slicing cubes.

3. Cutting off as above, then slicing a few wide strips and putting them into a whirley grinder and giving it a few spins. This produces more or less rough flakes of 1/8" square x 1/16" thick.

This is the most successful method so far. But one has to be very careful about packing, as anything other than a gravity fill with virtually no tamping will lead to clogging.

In fact today I had the best smoke so far, and it burned all the way down with only a few re-lights.

I also recognize this is a bit moister than I normally like so have yet to dry it down more. Think I'll do that next with the cube cut method and see how that works.

Sorry, can't really provide a thorough taste evaluation yet as I'm still finding my stride with this one. Right now it's kind of a muddle of flavors - on the dark side - if you see what I mean.

To be continued......

Cheers,

RR

I have a few aged tins stashed away but, what I did smoke of it (just cut thinly & rubbed) was some might fine tobacco my friend.
I'm sure it won't take longer to get a real hanker'en for it.............But, Shhh! don't tell anyone how good it really is.
Let it be our little secret. ;)