Peterson Dunmore Mystery!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaitlyn3837

Reaction score
I just bought this Peterson Dunmore of the Bay. Usually I would put this under the PAD section but I would like some of your input/thoughts about this stinger. This is the first Peterson I have ever seen with a stinger. I knew that stingers were usually removed from Kaywoodies and Dr. Grabows but I didn't even know there were any Peterson's that had stingers.... So, do some of them come with stingers??? I'm leaning towards the idea that this pipe was not meant to have a stinger. Reason being, in the second picture you can see that the stem doesn't fit all the way into the shank. The tip of the stinger prevents it from going in all the way. Also, if you are familiar with the Peterson design then you know the draw hole is in the very top of the inside of the shank. The stinger opening is to the side and does not align with where the draw hole is in the shank. Let me know your thoughts and check out the pics!

dunmor10.jpg

dunmor11.jpg

dunmor12.jpg

Looks like a Dunhill Innertube someone just stuck in the airway. May be there was a gap causing a gurgle and they thought this was a quick fix?

Puff Daddy":nzmvmnm9 said:
Looks like a Dunhill Innertube someone just stuck in the airway. May be there was a gap causing a gurgle and they thought this was a quick fix?
Yeah, I was thinking something along the same lines. I think I can get it out without harming the tenon. But I didn't want to rip it out if it's supposed to be there...

kaitlyn3837":eukntih1 said:
Puff Daddy":eukntih1 said:
Yeah, I was thinking something along the same lines. I think I can get it out without harming the tenon. But I didn't want to rip it out if it's supposed to be there...
If you can pass a cleaner through to the chamber it may have installed for that purpose, just a thought.
I know the only reason I don't smoke my Pete's much is for that reason, just a pain.

Just tried to get a cleaner thru from the button to the chamber, I couldn't even get my cleaner to go through that way because it keeps getting hung up on the stinger. If I go thru the stinger to the button it's fine. Craziness! Oh well, I think I am going to try to remove the stinger today.

If you can't seem to get it safely out, you might consider grinding or sanding off some of the end of the stinger so the stem seats better...

The only "legitimate" Peterson stinger I'm aware of looks like this, and is only used on higher grade Petes like the Deluxe. There's a reason for it, but I can't remember what it is. A well-known Peterson collector recommended retaining and using them, and I do. (Too lazy to look up who it was. Think he's dead or something.)

The one you have looks jerry-rigged by a demented mind, so I'd toss it if you haven't already. Unless you like it.  :geek:

Thanks RB for the info and the picture!

Oz, I didn't get to it yesterday. But my thought is that I should be able to get it out the same way that I expand tenons if they fit too loosely. I use a heating gun to warm it up and if gently pull it out while trying not to pull any vulcanite with it...

The Peterson stinger is actually a condensor. The idea (as I was told) is that the point of the mouthpiece airway intake is placed deep into the sump with the condensor attached, even below the stummel airway entrance point into the sump chamber, to get the cooler, less direct smoke, and also that the aluminum condensor keeps the water vapor in the smoke condensed on the outside of the condensor so less goes up into the mouthpiece. I dunno if it works as advertised mechanically speaking, but I do know that on my Deluxe system pipes I do find a lot of moisture drops built up on the condensor when I take the stem apart, while the inside of the mouthpiece is still quite dry.

As to that innertube in you Dunmore, maybe cut it off flush and drill out what's left in the stem? It's aluminum, I'd think it should either pop free from the torque of the drill bit or get chewed out a little at a time.

The condenser that Richard Burley shows (screw-in, made originally of bone, then aluminum) is the most typical.

However, some Peterson lines did come with tubes. Mark Irwin confirms that these are OEM stingers that Peterson used on their "Junior" lines. More info on these lines will be in his forthcoming book (I think to be released at the Chicago show?).

Pre-Republic Kapet 407

peterson_407_kapet-8.jpg

Pre-Republic Kapruff 411 (Bullcap)

peterson_kapruff6.jpg

Neither of those pipes smokes well without the tube, the draft hole is just too big.

As a system style pipe, your pipe should probably have the screw-in chimney. If you send the stem to Peterson, they fill fit one for you. They really do smoke better with the chimney in place and that is part of the system design.

riff raff":bqcq5iyy said:
As a system style pipe, your pipe should probably have the screw-in chimney. If you send the stem to Peterson, they fill fit one for you.  They really do smoke better with the chimney in place and that is part of the system design.
Hers already has the elongated tenon, Al. I suppose it could be cut off, drilled, and tapped for the metal gizmo, but that seems like way too much dedication. Thought my Mark Twain with a short tenon had one of those condensers, but it doesn't. Ain't threaded, neither, so it wasn't just flung away. But after reading this thread, I will keep the ones I do have. (Note: those gizmos were also brass, as in pic.)

riff raff":sg2rix95 said:
As a system style pipe, your pipe should probably have the screw-in chimney. If you send the stem to Peterson, they fill fit one for you.  They really do smoke better with the chimney in place and that is part of the system design.
Whoa! Thank you for all the info and pics! I don't know if I will send it off, I had never thought of it before. The options I have now!