Peterson Old Dublin - too much?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riff raff

Reaction score
This afternoon I stopped by the "Old Virginia Tobacco Co" in Manassas VA. They had a decent selection of Savinelli and some tobacco blends. I spied a few tins of tobacco and saw they had a few of Old Dublin. I'm still trying to make sense of the dizzying variety of tins available, but had read Old Dublin was a good way to transition from the milder blends to tins. A little research here saw a lot of recommendations for it, so I was looking forward to the first bowl.

I'm smoking it now in my Boswell, but it still seems too much for me. Like the Samuel Gawith Brown #4, it almost makes me a little woozy about halfway through the bowl. It sure smelled nice and mild opening the tin but is just too harsh.

I've only been smoking for about a month now. Is it me, or does it just take a while to work up to this type of pipe tobacco? Has anyone else had this type of experience trying tins?

My experience with Peterson blends is that they do indeed have a bit more of Vitamin N in general. At least the ones I've tried and I haven't had them all, yet Old Dublin is a favorite here at chez Brewdude. Love the overall balance of the Latakia interplay against the Orientals, and the Cavandish adds a bit of sweetness.

Now, the Irish Flake is another animal altogether...

Love the flavor but on an empty stomach and fast puffing can produce some unwanted effects.....

:tongue:

It's been many years since I had Old Dublin, bit I don't remember it being particularly strong. And when compared to SG Brown Rope #4, I think you should have noticed a significant decrease in the nicotine hit.

As Brewdude mentioned, it could just be your puffing style - or perhaps that you smoked before eating.

When experimenting further, it might be best to accompany your smoke with a sweet drink (iced tea, soda, etc.). The sugar will lessen nicotine nastiness.

I love Old Dublin, has kind of a buttery flavor that you just cant get enough of. Haven´t had any in a few years though. Maybe it´s time to get some again. I don´t remember it being too terribly strong in the nicotine department. Not like Irish Oak or Uni/Irish flakes anyway.

A good middle of the road tinned English blend is Dunhill EMP or SG Squadron Leader (if you can find it). Neither are heavy nicotine hitters. I always recommend those two to people getting into the Latakia blends.

tslots":4n5cfjhy said:
It's been many years since I had Old Dublin, bit I don't remember it being particularly strong. And when compared to SG Brown Rope #4, I think you should have noticed a significant decrease in the nicotine hit.

As Brewdude mentioned, it could just be your puffing style - or perhaps that you smoked before eating.

When experimenting further, it might be best to accompany your smoke with a sweet drink (iced tea, soda, etc.). The sugar will lessen nicotine nastiness.
And I hasten to add, that if one is new to pipe 'baccy many blends can seem strong. In both flavor and nic.

It's a journey, and find the ones you like and go from there. No right or wrong, just what pleases you is important.

Cheers,

RR

Thanks guys. I was out on the patio, it was stinking hot (close to 100 degrees) and I did indeed have an empty stomach. I remedied it later with a bowl of Boswell Northwoods. I'll save the Old Dublin for a few months down the road. And/or try just very small bowls. The initial smoke was very pleasant, than halfway through, it went South on me.

Gave it another shot this evening, after dinner, working on the tractor in the garage. Just did 1/2 a bowl and it was much better. It's going to be an acquired taste thing, but it does have a certain flair the blends don't.

This is one blend that had been off my radar, I'm going to have to add it to the never ending list.

Any transition from a certain blend or style of tobacco to another can sometimes be harsh the first go round. Old Dublin was transition tobacco from aromatics to English style blends. It was a little harsh at first, but given time it grew on me quickly. It became one of my favorites. I think it will mellow out for you over time.

I jarred it for now along with some other tins I bought and didn't quite enjoy. I'm sure my tastes will evolve.

Old Dublin is a great one--it was my #2 favorite a couple years back and this thread is making me consider buying a new tin. I agree with Brewdude on the Peterson blends. All but one (Gold Blend) of theirs that I've tried is a little heavier than normal, but I love them, and I found OD in particular to be really tasty, robust, and an all-around very well-rounded and relaxing smoke, without a big kick, twang, or aftertaste. Just a solid tobacco with body. It took a couple of bowls for me to appreciate it that much, so don't totally give up on it.

BTW, OD was second to Royal Yacht as my favorite tobacco back then. If that gives any idea as to my tastes. :D