Peterson Summertime pipes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corncobcon

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I just saw the new Peterson Summertime pipes on a website. To me, they are just down right ugly. They have a blue stained bowl with a yellow stem. I just don't know what to say about these that I haven't already said in my last sentence. Geeze, what are they doing? :confused:

I can only guess but......desperation leads to making blue pipes with yellow stems??

I don't want a new Peterson, no matter what it looks like. My last new Pete took 6 months to become smokable

I agree 100%.

I thought this year's Christmas pipes with the white stems were an abomination, but these are next level ugly.:fpalm:

To each his own, I guess. :p

if it didn't sell pipes, they wouldn't do it. that's my intuition anyway.

Definitely not to my tastes. But interesting, in an odd sort of way.

Many of the recent Pete offerings are anathema to me. But there again I'm somewhat of a traditionalist.

Cheers,

RR

Gotta agree with Brewdude here...I simply don't understand the direction taken by Peterson. My guess is, they have no real pipe smokers involved in the decision making (this is something I've heard else where) and these things are being tossed out by "marketing people", and we all know what they do: throw some sh!t against the wall to see if it sticks. If not, move on and throw some different sh!t until you find something that does. One only has to look at what currently passes for "rustication" at Peterson to realize that no one there has a clue. It's a bloody shame that such a thing is happening at a venerable firm like Petersons's.

I am pretty sure the rustication is done in the onsite daycare department. Kiddies with Dremels. :p

Brewdude":zz9jc5z1 said:
...Many of the recent Pete offerings are anathema to me. But there again I'm somewhat of a traditionalist.
I agree. Theirs and Savinelli's. As far as looks go, I much prefer the Peterson Shannons and the Savinelli Springs. Plain Janes, in other words.

I like the more traditional Pete look. My guess is they’re trying to freshen the look, by experimenting with color, since Pete style is part of the brand. There was a Werner Mummert pipe on SP awhile back that looked like it had drawn it’s finishing inspiration from a pair of well-used painters pants. But that pipe had a made by hand look. The Pete’s are manufactured pipes and tend to look it. Plus they’re large, chunky pipes. Maybe their customer base is exceptionally extroverted. Sometimes things look better in person. Well, they're off the driving board. Maybe it’s a “stop smoking” experiment from the EU.

I was already nauseous but that actually made me sick. I'm sure some poor bugger will buy it because they think it's stylish. There certainly won't be one crossing my door.

Jim

I mean...c'mon...Peterson has been one of the more gimmicky pipe brands for a while now (read: long time now). They're like the Spencer Gifts of pipe makers. Have they ever branded themselves with a whiskey; like when you buy a fifth and get a free set of shot glasses? That's the kind of thing I expect from them. Plaque editions. Special socks. Some of it is comical. Some of it is sad. Some of it is neat. Just trying to keep the doors open and employing people. I take them seriously, but I honestly don't know how they've done that. It's an interesting rope to balance; the specialty/gifty/strip mall approach and not laughing themselves right out of the quality pipe market. I'd call it their core market, but I think that would be delusional.

I've just welcomed NextGen to the BoB on the welcome pages. Perhaps Peterson are pitching at a different generation of pipers in order to survive (this in no way infers that NG would like this pipe BTW)?

Zeno Marx":amo09p1c said:
I mean...c'mon...Peterson has been one of the more gimmicky pipe brands for a while now (read:  long time now).  They're like the Spencer Gifts of pipe makers.  Have they ever branded themselves with a whiskey; like when you buy a fifth and get a free set of shot glasses?  That's the kind of thing I expect from them.  Plaque editions.  Special socks.  Some of it is comical.  Some of it is sad.  Some of it is neat.  Just trying to keep the doors open and employing people.  I take them seriously, but I honestly don't know how they've done that.  It's an interesting rope to balance; the specialty/gifty/strip mall approach and not laughing themselves right out of the quality pipe market.  I'd call it their core market, but I think that would be delusional.
Agree, though sadly. I rember my first boss who used to say, “Anyone can get attention by sticking his a** out the window.” It’s an interesting bidness marketing problem. Like L L Bean trying to go beyond customers for rubber bottom boots and such while not abandoning its gritty but old timey roots in quality and durability. Not easy. Another is MM’s cobs, which you can now buy in Dagner style.

I'm a traditionalist, so I don't do blue or green, But Peterson probably has more lines of pipes than anyone. They have several newer lines that are fairly traditional such as the Newgrange, Derry, and Waterford lines. As for white stems, those seem to be quite in fashion considering their widespread use among a number of makers including some carvers. As to rustication, yeah some lines are pretty amateurish and some are OK such as the Kinsale and Derry lines, though I think the Italians do it the best. A bunch of people must like blue or they wouldn't keep making them.

Zeno Marx":trki46gm said:
I mean...c'mon...Peterson has been one of the more gimmicky pipe brands for a while now (read:  long time now).  They're like the Spencer Gifts of pipe makers.  Have they ever branded themselves with a whiskey; like when you buy a fifth and get a free set of shot glasses?  That's the kind of thing I expect from them.  Plaque editions.  Special socks.  Some of it is comical.  Some of it is sad.  Some of it is neat.  Just trying to keep the doors open and employing people.  I take them seriously, but I honestly don't know how they've done that.  It's an interesting rope to balance; the specialty/gifty/strip mall approach and not laughing themselves right out of the quality pipe market.  I'd call it their core market, but I think that would be delusional.
Very inspired post Zeno. That made me think. I find myself agreeing with you.

Here's Peterson, a major and well respected pipe maker trying to compete in the ever changing world of rapidly diminishing pipe smokers. And how are they going to compete - on the basis of traditional styles and shapes or a challenging new bold look that would attract those not inclined to dote on their Daddie's brand?

Gotta concede to giving them kudos for pushing the envelope, whether or not I agree with it. After all it's a business, and a business has to make a profit to survive.

So after all my reservations about some of their recent offering (most which don't appeal to me) I sill have to give them credit for pushing the envelope in an attempt to keep relevant in this changing world we are living in.

Cheers,

RR