Petition to Stop Interstate Online Sales Taxes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vito

Charter member
Reaction score
For those who buy a lot of stuff online (not just pipes and tobacco), the recent Supreme Court decision to allow states to charge sales tax on interstate online purchases is going to increase your cost of doing business online.

I understand that there are pros and cons, just as there are with every issue. I won't plead the case for or against here. If you think that paying more taxes is a good idea, then simply ignore this post.

I'm posting this as a kind of public service announcement. I don't want to start a political squabble that will get this thread moved to the Rubber Room, so please refrain from posting political invective here.

For those who want to voice their opinion officially, eBay has started a petition:

https://www.ebaymainstreet.com/petition/internet-sales-tax-buyers

newjok10.png

Signed for what good it will do. I don't thank if every person in the world signed it would have a impact for they stopped hearing the people a long time ago.

Best Regards,
Richard

Richard Hester":jjka3u5y said:
Signed for what good it will do.  I don't thank if every person in the world signed it would have a impact for they stopped hearing the people a long time ago.

Best Regards,
Richard
^^^^^This +1^^^^^.

AJ

Richard Burley":lhervzw8 said:
Signed. Hard to believe Thomas went for this.
Richard: I’d have thought so too, but then my momentary lapse of reason subsided, and I remembered that where the state is concerned, all bets are off.

In fact, the voting on this was pretty much upside down. Ruth "Darth Vader" Ginsburg joined four so-called "conservative-moderate" justices in the majority opinion, while Chief Justice Roberts joined three normally more "liberal" justices in the minority dissenting opinion. So much for the "liberal", “moderate”, and "conservative" labels.

newjok10.png