PFOAs

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stick

Reaction score
It's not very often I watch a film that prompts immediate further research and possible action...

I've just finished watching Dark Waters on Amazon which is the story of DuPont releasing Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), otherwise known as C8, into the environment and it's subsequent consequences. Studies in lab animals have found exposure to PFOA increases the risk of certain tumors of the liver, testicles, breasts, and pancreas. Although there is no proof that Teflon is harmful, from what I can find PFOA was used in the manufacture of Teflon up until about 2015. PFOA is believed to be in the blood of virtually every living creature on the planet, including 99% of humans. To date DuPont has settled 3,535 ill health cases for $670.7 million. It might well be overkill, but my very old Teflon cookware is now in the recycling and I'll be looking at ceramics from here on in.

We humans sure know how to trash our planet.

I have stopped using any coated pans. Unless I have no choice. Started using heavy bottomed stainless and porcelain coated cast iron a number of years ago. And my favorite fry pan now is a Lodge cast iron. Probably too late for me. But I am happier using good cookware.

Carlos, welcome to the club!! Stainless, porcelain/porcelain-lined, and wonderful cast iron (can't beat Lodge!!)
Stick, my wonderful English family turned me on to Le Creuset years ago!! Good stuff!!
And, yes, we humans can really muck up our planet!! Please don't get me going on what we do/are doing to our oceans & fresh water!!! FTRPLT

This is my favorite black carbon steel skillet. It's quite heavy. Free shipping from the vendor linked below.
de_buyer__45768.jpg

de Buyer "Carbone Plus" Steel Frying Pan, Heavy Duty Steel, 26cm (10-1/4")​

• Perfect thickness of Steel for heat source circulation.
  • For use on all heating components: gas, on induction hob, electricity as well as on vitro ceramic. 1.2 to 3 mm thickness.
  • Riveted steel handle
  • The frying pan remains essential for Sealing, Browning, Grilling food (steak, omelets, crepes, etc.) and improving flavor
  • Once the frying pan reaches a temperatures 140° C and above, the pan then seals the food on the surface, resulting in the caramelization of the natural juices (the Maillard reaction).
  • A crust forms, preventing moisture from evaporating.
  • The food becomes brown and crusty on the surface, tender and soft in the middle
  • Perfect for frying meat and obtaining crispy crepes or tasty omelets!
  • The material is considered to be "Extra Thick" of black steel

• de Buyer Carbon Plus