Photography

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irene Adler

Reaction score
I have finally purchased my first professional-grade camera and was wondering if anyone here could recommend some decent photography books or websites/blogs? 8)

Preacher":9uo9pyw4 said:
Start with this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/081746300

This should be your starting point (other than your user manual for your camera). Read this while practicing the principals that it explains. What camera did you buy an what lens do you have?
Thank you Preacher, but the link isn't working. =( What are the title and author?

I have a Canon Rebel t3i and two lenses:
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

What about you?

The book is titles "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. It's great book to start off with. I'm using a
Canon 7D (with gip)
Canon 50D (with grip)
Canon 70-200mm f2.8
Canon 24-105mm f4
Canon 17-40mm f4
Canon 35mm f1.4
Canon 580EX flash
Neewer 250w/s strobes with radio trigger

Oh very nice! Do you have your portfolio online by chance?

And thank you. I will look that book up!!!

If your camera is a DSLR with a fully manual mode, the camera itself will do a pretty good job teaching you about photography. Just start shooting, and play around with the shutter speed and aperture (f-stop) and note how they work together. With the instant results and not having to worry about the cost of film, you can experiment like crazy. If you're still shooting film, or you want info about filters and flashes etc., then a basic photography book would be a good idea.

Agreed. Nothing beats putting your camera in manual mode and going for broke. You will be able to see how the aperture and shutter speed work together to control the exposure. I love to take my camera out just shoot all day long.

Harlock999":zo4jhctm said:
If your camera is a DSLR with a fully manual mode, the camera itself will do a pretty good job teaching you about photography. Just start shooting, and play around with the shutter speed and aperture (f-stop) and note how they work together. With the instant results and not having to worry about the cost of film, you can experiment like crazy. If you're still shooting film, or you want info about filters and flashes etc., then a basic photography book would be a good idea.
I never go anywhere without it. I'm especially loving street photography. And is is a DSLR, so I've been experimenting quite a lot. I have deleted hundreds of over and under exposed photos to prove it. =P

I still want to read a book and follow instructions though, as it is how I learn. I'm one of those "all three" types. I need to see it, hear it, and do it for something to really stick.

Get a copy of Adboe Lightroom and start learning to use it. Not every pic that is over or under exposed needs to be ditched. Sometimes a little tweaking can turn such a picture into a keeper.