Picking a Pipe Shape

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wij

Reaction score
Seeing that I'm too new to pipes to even be considered a nubie, I have a question on pipe shapes. There are so many shapes and I have no idea what I like yet.

How do you pick a shape when buying pipes? Is it because you like the look of it or the way it feels in your hand? Is is that you mostly clinch a pipe in your mouth and you look for light weight? One shape smokes better with certain types of tobacco that you enjoy? You're a collector and you want to have a variety of all the shapes?

Just buy a pipe that calls your name. With time your preferences will become more refined (usually).

I have a pretty eclectic mix of pipes; im particularly attracted to more bizarre shapes, but traditional shapes can really catch my eye too. two pf my favorite pipes are a no nonsense lovat and a sav 626. If you're brand new to piping, get a Missouri meerschaum cob that you like the look of and smoke that while you search for "the one (of many)" lol

I think I was lucky. When I was getting into pipe smoking, my wallet was the biggest consideration. It limited my choices by a lot. Choosing between two or three pipes in the local shop was usually a quick decision. Like with children, too many options can be overwhelming and the makings for a lot of trouble.

Now that I got myself out of the way, there are a lot of variables here. How much time do you usually have to smoke? Do you plan to smoke a lot of tobacco, ie what is your financial situation? A smaller bowl would be good for shorter smokes and conserving on tobacco. A bigger bowl is for longer smokes and rolling through tobacco. Do you tend to smoke fast or slow? That can dictate, to a newer smoker, what shapes are better or worse. What types of tobacco do you prefer? Honestly, that has never made a lot of difference to me in regard to shape, but I suspect others will have a different view. What feels comfortable to you? In other words, does a full bent make you feel funny? Like when you look in a mirror, does it seem like you? That sort of thing. I'm sure I'm forgetting some factors, but you get the gist.

Good intel here so far.

wij, it took me a while of trial and error to discover what worked for me. But that's part of the discovery and fun if you will. Try a variety of styles and shapes, bowl sizes, etc. You'll find out what works best for you and your smoking style. As well as 'baccy choices as they will all taste and smoke a little different in various pipes.

I'd recommend sticking with the classic styles first. Say, a straight billiard or apple, a bent bulldog or rhodesian, a full bent, a freehand, and so on. And the advice of getting in several of the cob styles is highly recommended. They won't break the budget and are great smokers.

Above all, enjoy and have fun. That's what it's all about after all!

:D

Cheers,

RR

Great info so far. I really obsess over stuff when I get interested in it.

wij":lpapjlfl said:
Seeing that I'm too new to pipes to even be considered a nubie, I have a question on pipe shapes.  There are so many shapes and I have no idea what I like yet.

How do you pick a shape when buying pipes?  Is it because you like the look of it or the way it feels in your hand?  Is is that you mostly clinch a pipe in your mouth and you look for light weight?  One shape smokes better with certain types of tobacco that you enjoy?  You're a collector and you want to have a variety of all the shapes?
I have questions for you: What type of tobacco do you enjoy? How much do you like to smoke at a time? I ask because while I tend to look at various bowl shapes, colors and textures, I also consider the size or depth of the bowl. I do so because I smoke flake tobacco and try to accommodate either one or two whole flakes at a time.

If you like only aromatic, ribbon cut tobacco and you smoke only perhaps a 30 minute bowl as opposed to a larger bowl, that may dictate your bowl shape choices.

I hope that makes sense to you. I am only trying to help :)

Navyflake":lanbyeu8 said:
wij":lanbyeu8 said:
Seeing that I'm too new to pipes to even be considered a nubie, I have a question on pipe shapes.  There are so many shapes and I have no idea what I like yet.

How do you pick a shape when buying pipes?  Is it because you like the look of it or the way it feels in your hand?  Is is that you mostly clinch a pipe in your mouth and you look for light weight?  One shape smokes better with certain types of tobacco that you enjoy?  You're a collector and you want to have a variety of all the shapes?
I have questions for you: What type of tobacco do you enjoy? How much do you like to smoke at a time? I ask because while I tend to look at various bowl shapes, colors and textures, I also consider the size or depth of the bowl. I do so because I smoke flake tobacco and try to accommodate either one or two whole flakes at a time.

If you like only aromatic, ribbon cut tobacco and you smoke only perhaps a 30 minute bowl as opposed to a larger bowl, that may dictate your bowl shape choices.

I hope that makes sense to you. I am only trying to help :)
Definitely makes sense but I'm so new to pipes that I'm trying a little of everything yet that is not all that much.  I'm a long time cigar smoker so I do understand the nuances of different tobaccos.  I really enjoyed the GL Pease Odyssey as well as straight virginia.  I've tried a couple of aromatics which I did enjoy.  I can see myself bouncing around for the near future.

I enjoy a longish smoke as one of the smaller pipes I have leave me wanting more.  I'm sorry I'm so vague but I'm about a month into this new journey so it's all new to me.

wij":zmpw0rob said:
Great info so far.  I really obsess over stuff when I get interested in it.
First off stop obsessing over stuff. RELAX and take your time , listen to the advice given here ( it's some good advice) and ENJOY what your doing !! :twisted: :twisted:

I really can't add much more to what all have said, but if you see a pipe that you like the looks of, and it's in your price range, buy it! I've done that so many times and in a lot of cases, I put the pipe in the rack and don't smoke it. But then, years later I pick it up, dust it off and give it a try. Then I am pleasantly surprised! Years ago I purchased a bulldog shaped pipe just because I didn't have one. I didn't like it very much, so I put it back in it's box and forgot about it. I looked at it about 6 months ago and decided to smoke it. Now I am wondering why I put it away. It's one of my favorite pipes. You just never know sometimes.

These days I mostly choose bents of varying degrees..since my once slim torso has become "less slim", I tend to pick pipes that are a bit more massive..bulldogs seem to be my first choice..
In that I use moderately inexpensive pipes, I tend to depend less on perfect workmanship, altho that is still a part of my consideration, just to a lesser degree...

And wij, make sure to avail yourself of all the great estate sites. That way you'll have a potentially great pipe at a fraction of the cost of new. Most of my go-to pipes are estates. And they're already broken in!

Cheers,

RR

As I have advanced into the hobby, I have grown to prefer straight pipes but I might be in the minority.

When I was 18, my starter pipe was a half-bent billiard that was gifted to me by a close friend whose father had passed away. It was from his collection and I guess my friend's mom wanted them to go to a good home.

Anyway, it was a good starter pipe, a classic shape with a moderate sized bowl, simply stamped "Algerian Briar Made in France." I still own it and I do smoke it from time to time. I guess I lucked out because it was well engineered and I never had any trouble with it. If anything it encouraged me to seek out new tobacco to try and eventually more pipes to begin my collection.

I would suggest looking for a pipe with clean lines in a classic shape and go from there. Personally, I favor straight billiards, which feel wonderful in the hand when they're properly proportioned and balanced right. I also like straight & quarter bent bulldogs and Rhodesians, princes, Dublins and pots. Churchwardens are essential if you like to smoke thin cut/shag tobacco and pocket pipes or small French pipes are awesome for strong stuff like Gawith ropes.

DrumsAndBeer":c17it5yc said:
Anyway, it was a good starter pipe, a classic shape with a moderate sized bowl, simply stamped "Algerian Briar Made in France." I still own it and I do smoke it from time to time. I guess I lucked out because it was well engineered and I never had any trouble with it. If anything it encouraged me to seek out new tobacco to try and eventually more pipes to begin my collection.

I would suggest looking for a pipe with clean lines in a classic shape and go from there. Personally, I favor straight billiards, which feel wonderful in the hand when they're properly proportioned and balanced right.
I've always said a poorly/well packed bowl with wet or perfectly died tobacco will overcome or fuck up any pipe "engineering" all day any day. I started with and was happy with a cob and graduated to a couple of dr. G for years until I was "skooled" that a system system pipe was what I needed for the perfect smoke. That pipe'$ $tem turned green in a day and burned my tongue. Since then I've build my collection on and reputation in the hobby on pipes that I love and fit the collection no matter what others were doing at the time. I'm away from the davecave for the season but I have a great dunhill laminated three fold point of sale pamphlet on how to select a pipe that involves a mirror. :shock:

This is great information and has given me much to think about. Thanks so much guys.

Brewdude":ucrbpl3b said:
And wij, make sure to avail yourself of all the great estate sites. That way you'll have a potentially great pipe at a fraction of the cost of new. Most of my go-to pipes are estates. And they're already broken in!

Cheers,

RR
Glad you mentioned that since to me I don't see a lot of down side to an estate pipe other than the fact you were not it's first. Seems to me you can make the analogy to a good woman. :twisted:

DrumsAndBeer":0ofe8zl6 said:
As I have advanced into the hobby, I have grown to prefer straight pipes but I might be in the minority.

When I was 18, my starter pipe was a half-bent billiard that was gifted to me by a close friend whose father had passed away. It was from his collection and I guess my friend's mom wanted them to go to a good home.

I would suggest looking for a pipe with clean lines in a classic shape and go from there. Personally, I favor straight billiards, which feel wonderful in the hand when they're properly proportioned and balanced right. I also like straight & quarter bent bulldogs and Rhodesians, princes, Dublins and pots. Churchwardens are essential if you like to smoke thin cut/shag tobacco and pocket pipes or small French pipes are awesome for strong stuff like Gawith ropes.
Can't you smoke regular ribbon cut tobacco in a CW?

wij":ghugei5a said:
Brewdude":ghugei5a said:

Cheers,

RR
Glad you mentioned that since to me I don't see a lot of down side to an estate pipe other than the fact you were not it's first.  Seems to me you can make the analogy to a good woman. :twisted:
wij, some recommended estate sites are-

https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fbriarblues.us6.list-manage.com%2Ftrack%2Fclick%3Fu%3D9dd5c688cecd08952cf25bd86%26id%3Dfcac675c84%26e%3D5d12ad05a9&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNH5NIPChi4YNMpegdpINd5Jj40uNQ

This includes several of the trusted sources for estates. I've had great experiences with Blue Room Briars, but really, all of these are highly recommended.

Also, the estate feature on www.smokingpipes.com is recommended.

Yes, there are many others. But this just gives an overview of what's out there. And then there's e-bay.......!!

Good fishing!

:bom:

Cheers,

RR

wij":yw0067h1 said:

You could also buy a new pipe, rather than an estate, from smokingpipes.com. They have a great selection and I feel their prices are quite reasonable.

Konrad_von_Marburg":e24uksj4 said:
DrumsAndBeer":e24uksj4 said:

Yes of course, you can smoke anything you'd like in a CW. Just be aware that as a general rule, the bowl will be somewhat smaller (which limits your amount of pipe weed as compared to a larger bowl), as well as producing a much cooler taste experience due to the length of the stem.

So once again, it's a matter personal preferences according to your tastes. ;)

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":4hsjzflp said:
Konrad_von_Marburg":4hsjzflp said:
DrumsAndBeer":4hsjzflp said:

Yes of course, you can smoke anything you'd like in a CW. Just be aware that as a general rule, the bowl will be somewhat smaller (which limits your amount of pipe weed as compared to a larger bowl), as well as producing a much cooler taste experience due to the length of the stem.

So once again, it's a matter personal preferences according to your tastes.  ;)

Cheers,

RR
Cool. Does that mean that a CW is also less likely to give you tongue bite?