Picking a Pipe Shape

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Konrad_von_Marburg":94l6a4ve said:
Cool. Does that mean that a CW is also less likely to give you tongue bite?
Yes, that's the prevailing wisdom.

Yet it still depends on your choice of pipe weed, body chemistry, smoking style, and so on. Not a guarantee.  ;)

Cheers,

RR

My rule of thumb is that if you’re partial to coarse cut tobaccos, you oughta look at pipes with a roomy tobacco chamber. Fine cut, hot burning Virginias will be cooler in narrow, smallish chambers. In general, that is.

I prefer pipes that have a nice comfy chunky bowl to hand on to.

A well bent hanger prevents jaw ache for clenchers.

I like getting together a collection of quality pipes that are a good representation of the shape chart. I have a few prestige brand pipes, but there are plenty of well made pipes available at very reasonable prices. Variety is good.

You guys have been very helpful and I have some estates en-route. :cheers:

Bjarne - Picked up from local B&M

Barling 263 ExEL Pre-transition

GBD Prehistoric - unsmoked estate

On the way
Sasieni Bulldog from Pipestud

To help you out, go ahead and send that Barling to me and I'll brea it in for ya.:twisted: Should be no more than 10 years! :twisted:

Like the Padre mentioned, I really like that GBD. Nice selections wij!

monbla256":ubfoinuj said:
To help you out, go ahead and send that Barling to me and I'll brea it in for ya.:twisted:  Should be no more than 10 years! :twisted:  
Hehehehe. I knew you guys were my type of people to offer to help a brother out like that.

You may find that your tastes and preferences will change over time.  Early on, for me, it was freehands and Danish shapes, deeply bent and the more "unique" the better.  I've only three or four such pipes left, and those stayed largely for sentimental reasons and are little used these days.  My racks now hold mostly traditional shapes, typically with straight or slightly bent shanks, and just a few bents - a fine billiard is hard to improve on IMHO.

That said, it looks like you've done very well here; a good start!  As has been said, take your time, don't force it, and enjoy the journey.

wij":jtfkdwc4 said:
monbla256":jtfkdwc4 said:
To help you out, go ahead and send that Barling to me and I'll brea it in for ya.:twisted:  Should be no more than 10 years! :twisted:  
Hehehehe. I knew you guys were my type of people to offer to help a brother out like that.
Any pics of that Sasieni doggy from studman yet wij?

:bball:

Cheers,

RR

Oddly it was waiting for me when I got home and of course I'm smoking it now with some Golden Cavendish that NavyFlake gifted me. So far it's the best smoking pipe I have in my modest collection. It's a two dot instead of a four dot but its beautiful and is smoking great. I'll post a pic when I stop slobbering all over it.

Hi Wij. All of the types of choices you've listed are valid . . . also, any combination of them. I suggest you look at pipes for a while without buying. My guess is that you'll find yourself looking at one shape or brand or whatever more than others. Your preferences will form in your mind. Then, you'll been more focused in your selecting a pipe. I remember going to my first pipe show. I went nuts wanting to buy everything I saw. I'm more relaxed about it now.

Good luck and happy puffing.

Rob