Pickled Onions

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just renewed my acquaintance with these luscious comestibles from the UK -

51mUVCXowcL._AC_US160_.jpg

Pickled in malt vinegar and spices, these are crunchy and tart with all the malt vinegar character one would expect. The perfect condiment to many an entrée, including and especially fish & chips. Also great as a foil (the sense of "one who enhances another by contrast") with English extra sharp cheddar cheese.

In any event I hadn't the pleasure of pickled onions in too many years. All the local grocery stores were barren of them. Even the ones who offered a small British section were devoid of these.

To this I say - why?? It's clearly one of the staples in the UK, along with other condiments such as (and not limited to) Branston Pickle, HP sauce, and much else. My own local grocery store used to offer UK pickled onions, but has not had them in several years. Apparently my views are not welcome at their headquarters... :scratch:

In any event, just got a delivery of these through amazon. And they are as amazing as I remembered them. And this is not to endorse any specific supplier. Only to say that I'm very happy to be reunited with this.

:afro:

Cheers,

RR

Have to agree with everything you've said. I love me some pickled onions! And luckily they stock them in a couple of the local grocery stores here in NC.

Those are awesome on tacos . Seriously.

There's a taco place down the street here that has them with a little Worcestershire sauce mixed in. To die for. :heart:

They sound real yummy! Next time I go grocery shopping gonna try and find 'em ! :twisted:

Stick":phezc2y5 said:
Silver skins are the way to go. Absolutely delectable.
So do you make your own then mate, and If so what is the recipe? I'd love to make these at home, but getting hold of the right kind of onions may be a bit of a challenge. Not sure I've seen silver skin onions here.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":k1qk2zhy said:
Stick":k1qk2zhy said:
So do you make your own then mate, and If so what is the recipe? I'd love to make these at home, but getting hold of the right kind of onions may be a bit of a challenge. Not sure I've seen silver skin onions here.

Cheers,

RR
Recipe wise, nothing too complicated Rande! When I've pickled in the past I've gone for Sarson's Pickling vinegar. Any onions will do if they're small enough, but my favourites are silver skins (sometimes called pearl onions). You might have to hunt around for them but they are out there. I did a quick google before this post and found plenty of options here in the UK. Load up the jar, pour in the vinegar, lid on, leave for 12 months. Perfect!

I remember an old James Beard recommendation: Peel and trim perfect garlic cloves (they have to be perfect or they'll rot--no brown spots, in other words) and fill a jar with them almost to the top. Fill the jar right to the top with red wine vinegar, put the lid on, and wait at least a year. Never tried it myself, but I have a hunch it's worth doing for aficionados of pickledom.

Richard Burley":g3gxz7fl said:
I remember an old James Beard recommendation: Peel and trim perfect garlic cloves (they have to be perfect or they'll rot--no brown spots, in other words) and fill a jar with them almost to the top. Fill the jar right to the top with red wine vinegar, put the lid on, and wait at least a year. Never tried it myself, but I have a hunch it's worth doing for aficionados of pickledom.
That does sound good. Might have to try it myself! Thanks Rich.

:tongue:

Cheers,

RR

The garlic one sounds like the one my oldest son does up. He adds some chilli peppers but other than that it's just vinegar and garlic.

Jim

Stick":enhur67e said:
Brewdude":enhur67e said:
Stick":enhur67e said:

Cheers,

RR
Recipe wise, nothing too complicated Rande!  When I've pickled in the past I've gone for Sarson's Pickling vinegar.  Any onions will do if they're small enough, but my favourites are silver skins (sometimes called pearl onions).  You might have to hunt around for them but they are out there.  I did a quick google before this post and found plenty of options here in the UK.  Load up the jar, pour in the vinegar, lid on, leave for 12 months.  Perfect!
Right mate, I've got it in one.

Problem here is that the pearl onions available to us are much smaller, in fact about a marble in dimension. I'll have to ferret out the correct size before proceeding.

Cheers,

RR

Rande, I'd venture to guess the easiest route to the onions the size you want is to hit the farmers markets in the spring. Let them know what you're looking for and they'll usually bend over backwards to get you what you want.

Jim

Pickled onions, carrots, watermelon rinds, cucumbers, herring, etc., are all great.  My favorite - pickled jalapeños!

huffelpuff":ubakdh6z said:
Rande, I'd venture to guess the easiest route to the onions the size you want is to hit the farmers markets in the spring. Let them know what you're looking for and they'll usually bend over backwards to get you what you want.

Jim
Thanks for the idea Jim. I'll give that a try. We have a small farmers market in my town that sets up once/wk. Not sure when they begin but I'll look into it.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":chaf1h4f said:
Stick":chaf1h4f said:
Brewdude":chaf1h4f said:
Stick":chaf1h4f said:

Cheers,

RR
Recipe wise, nothing too complicated Rande!  When I've pickled in the past I've gone for Sarson's Pickling vinegar.  Any onions will do if they're small enough, but my favourites are silver skins (sometimes called pearl onions).  You might have to hunt around for them but they are out there.  I did a quick google before this post and found plenty of options here in the UK.  Load up the jar, pour in the vinegar, lid on, leave for 12 months.  Perfect!

Problem here is that the pearl onions available to us are much smaller, in fact about a marble in dimension. I'll have to ferret out the correct size before proceeding.

Cheers,

RR
Small's good Rande, or at least I think so. That's the sort of size you'd slide onto a cocktail stick with a nice chunk of cheddar.

Mmm, feeling hungry now...

Stick":qp6v4saf said:
Brewdude":qp6v4saf said:
Brewdude":qp6v4saf said:

Cheers,

RR

Cheers,

RR
Small's good Rande, or at least I think so.  That's the sort of size you'd slide onto a cocktail stick with a nice chunk of cheddar.  

Mmm, feeling hungry now...
Right you are Guv'nor. And the pearl onions that are on offer are indeed the cocktail size one would expect in a Martini, however not what I would like for this adventure.

Surly there are the more appropriately sized onions for this task, and I intend to sort them out!  ;)

Cheers,

RR

Well, whatta ya know.............

I found some nice Pearl Onions at the grocery. Not the small cocktail size in the frozen section either. These came in a little mesh bag in the produce section. So bought 2 bags.

Just finished prepping them, and now have them soaking in the malt vinegar I saved from the ones I bought and ate. Packed them right to the top and made sure there was plenty of malt vinegar in each jar.

So now the wait to see if they turn out as good as the store bought ones. Was it a year that was recommended?

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":105zdwrd said:
Well, whatta ya know.............

I found some nice Pearl Onions at the grocery. Not the small cocktail size in the frozen section either. These came in a little mesh bag in the produce section. So bought 2 bags.

Just finished prepping them, and now have them soaking in the malt vinegar I saved from the ones I bought and ate. Packed them right to the top and made sure there was plenty of malt vinegar in each jar.

So now the wait to see if they turn out as good as the store bought ones. Was it a year that was recommended?

Cheers,

RR
They'll be good to go as early as 2 months, but I used to leave mine for about 12.

Gosh, you've got my mouth watering now!

Stick":1h5cpavz said:
They'll be good to go as early as 2 months, but I used to leave mine for about 12.
Right, then I'll crack one jar in 2 months and see how they're coming along.

In the meantime I picked up 6 more jars, so that'll keep me going until then!

:rabbit:

Cheers,

RR