Piet Away this Week

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muddler

Reaction score
Piet emailed me this morning (my phone is on the blink) to ask me to let everyone know he had to leave for his exhibition a lot quicker than expected. He ran out of time to post that he'll probably not be able to post this coming week. He does have email on his Blackberry so he should be aware of any PM's.

Pleasure. Fishing was slow - both Piet & I managed one hook up each, both of which were lost (hooks pulled). Late in the afternoon I picked up a nice fish of 8.25lbs on a #14 beadhead mayfly nymph. The water in the Vaal is still a bit cold - in a few weeks it should be cooking! Here's my fish:

004-1.jpg

It's a yellowfish - an indigenous African fish similar to the Indian Mahseer. This one is a Smallmouth Yellow found in west-flowing rivers in South Africa. They're great gamefish - really strong - & take caddis & mayfly nymphs. We fish for them with 5wt fly rods in the swiftly flowing parts of the Vaal River, about two hours from where Piet & I live.

Muddler":xfnlw9kx said:
It's a yellowfish - an indigenous African fish similar to the Indian Mahseer. This one is a Smallmouth Yellow found in west-flowing rivers in South Africa. They're great gamefish - really strong - & take caddis & mayfly nymphs. We fish for them with 5wt fly rods in the swiftly flowing parts of the Vaal River, about two hours from where Piet & I live.
now where i live, 'catch and release' has become very popular. i, however, like to eat them. yum! do you guys catch and release down there? are the yellow's tasty? the best fighter in my state is the carp, which is not tasty. however some have figured out how to cook them and make them tolerable. mostly, it's considered a junk fish though.

We release all the yellows we catch. They're not great eating at all. They're also slow growing, so it's a conservation thing.

Muddler":njqzgafb said:
We release all the yellows we catch. They're not great eating at all. They're also slow growing, so it's a conservation thing.
pretty fish.

This is what REAL men do
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/biL-QcviQGk" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I go to the grocery store

Muddler":7w474yqo said:
Pleasure. Fishing was slow - both Piet & I managed one hook up each, both of which were lost (hooks pulled). Late in the afternoon I picked up a nice fish of 8.25lbs on a #14 beadhead mayfly nymph. The water in the Vaal is still a bit cold - in a few weeks it should be cooking.
Awesome catch bro, yes the weather is warming up nicely so the fishing should start to heat up (pun intended) :D

Thank you for letting us know, brother Muddler! If you think of it the next time you talk to him, please tell him that I wish him mega success and a safe trip!!

That's a beautiful fish! It makes me want to grab a pole and head for the creek!!!

Bub, "Noodling" still sounds funny to me. Around here, we used to call it "Hawgin' for Catfish." It was fun when I was much younger and full of piss and vinegar! But, as an old fart, I think too much about what besides a catfish I might get hold of!! And, I never had a desire to try it when I lived in Louisiana. There's waaaaaay too many gators!!!

Robert

Muddler":ciz8e73k said:
Pleasure. Fishing was slow - both Piet & I managed one hook up each, both of which were lost (hooks pulled). Late in the afternoon I picked up a nice fish of 8.25lbs on a #14 beadhead mayfly nymph. The water in the Vaal is still a bit cold - in a few weeks it should be cooking! Here's my fish:

004-1.jpg
Nice Mudd, wish I coulda been there!

Mudd!!
Nice hook up there bro!!
Glad to have shared the experience with you!!!! :cheers:
What Mudd has forgotten about fly fishing I still need to learn!!!