Pilot Metropolitan Fountain Pens

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BriarBeagle

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have recently taken the plunge into the world of fountain pens, as several of our members inspired me to give them a try.  (I'm talking to you Blackhorse :) )  Anyway, I heard some favorable reviews about the Pilot Metropolitan series, and they are priced at a price point that is not a bank breaker (between $13-$23, depending on where you shop).  They come in several different color schemes and design styles, and have a nice weight in the hand.  I originally purchased them in fine and medium nibs, and have just recently added a stub nib to the lineup.  The are all performing great, and are a pleasure to write with, though my preference seems to be towards the larger nibs.  Additionally I have been playing with several different ink samples that I have purchased from Goulet Pen, and Anderson Pen.  

I have never had very good penmanship, but this whole experience has made writing fun again.  I find myself practicing my writing more often and as a result my penmanship is improving.  

Hopefully I will be able to show some restraint and discipline with this new hobby.  I think I'll stick with the more budget friendly pens.  I don't think I could ever pull the trigger on a pen that costs several hundred dollars.  Would I even be able to tell the difference anyway?

Anyway, here's a sample of what these things look like...

Thanks to all who have contributed to my new obsession.  I'll be invoicing you shortly. :lol:

Beagle

Nice looking pens. I own a couple myself and I absolutely love them. I have fine and a medium. They are some great writing pens. I feel your pain though my penmanship on a good day sux at best.plus being left handed doesn’t help with the fountain pens.

I also own a couple lamy safaris it’s real hard to beat them too.

Congratulations on this slippery slope you’ve decided to venture down.

Ha! Thanks, Eggman.

I didn't realize that being a lefty makes any difference. Interesting.

So do you have a preference of Lamy over Pilot? Or vice-versa? Which do you prefer, and for what reasons?

I appreciate the input (in advance).

Yes, there is a difference. When you’re right handed your hand is in front of what you’re writing. Where if you’re left handed you drag your hand through what you just wrote. So have to have your hand over or under what you’re writing.

Lamy or pilot I really like them both. The Lamy Safari is all plastic except for the nib and clip. But the grip is not round it has notch’s for your fingers that makes it easy to hold. I bought a left handed nib for the lamy makes it a bit easier to write with.

The pilot has more metal on it and feels good in the hand. I think it has a bit more weight to it as well. The pilot med nib is similar in line weight to the lamy fine nib. But they’re both great pens and I think you can’t go wrong with either one. If you like metal on your pen go with the pilot.

I really like both the Safari and the Metro...but lean very slightly toward the Lamy. They are quite different but both have legions of devout followers. The Safari looks like its name...a field pen...rugged and darn near bulletproof. The Metro is much more citified...sleek and fashion forward. Can’t go wrong either way.

Don’t forget...

Western (Lamy) vs Japanese (Pilot) nib sizes:

Extra Fine Western = Fine Japanese...and so on...
F = Medium
M = Bold
B = extra B

If you haven’t tried either side in a stub nib...you need to.

I’ve been wanting to try a stub in both. The lamy nibs are super easy to change. I’ve done that several times. I may have to pull the trigger on another metro just to try a stub nib. I wonder what the difference in price is for a metro with a stub compared to a replacement stub nib?

I just picked up a stub nib that arrived yesterday (the green pen in the photo). Thus far I like it best of all. Picked it up on eBay for $18.95 minus a 15% discount, with free shipping included. Great!!!

P.S. thanks for the hot tip on the nib sizing BH

BriarBeagle":ymy6cecr said:
I just picked up a stub nib that arrived yesterday (the green pen in the photo). Thus far I like it best of all. Picked it up on eBay for $18.95 minus a 15% discount, with free shipping included. Great!!!

That’s a heck of a good deal.

And...just checked at Goulet...Lamy nibs in silver or black are $14...at Jet Pens they are $13. Those are pretty common prices.

...and then there's the ink Mr Beagle... that's a whole new world too! Luckily there's only 1 or 2 to choose from ;)

Stick":12nd94d3 said:
...and then there's the ink Mr Beagle... that's a whole new world too!  Luckily there's only 1 or 2 to choose from ;)

Absolutely.  Of course the pen is important.  But the true value of using that pen is the ability to put in any color ink with a very wide range of applications.  A very good comparison is the pipe and the very wide range of tobacco blends we can enjoy.