Pilot vanishing point

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggman

Reaction score
I have been looking at these since Christmas time. I really like the look of these pens. I have read reviews and watched a couple videos on them. From what I’ve gotten out of all this I believe they are good pens and good writers too. A good writer is what I’m after.

Has anyone ever owned or written with one? If so did you like it? Was it easy to fill, clean and maintain? I know they are a bit pricey at the $150+ price point. But that’s the lower end with gold nibs.

The Pilot Vanishing Point is Goulet Pen Company’s top selling pen...even with the higher than average price. I’ve not owned one but the other ba-zillion guys out there that own and use them praise them very highly.

The thing I would ask myself is...what specific aspect of it is something you really need. The big thing is the click operated extending nib. I don’t need that so I’ve never bought one. I have a Pilot Custom 74, a Custom Heritage 92 with the soft-medium nib (a really sweet Pen). I have THREE Platinum 1776 Century pens (gorgeous and wonderful), a Waterman Carene stub (soooo cool), and an ivory Sailor 1911 with a music nib (WAY cool) and a Lamy 2000 with a fine nib. Obviously I felt the above pens were preferable to the Vanishing Point. With Japanese pens I buy them directly from Japan via eBay and save from 30% to 50% on what one would cost via a USA seller. A low price would be in the neighborhood of $80. With the Vanishing Point...I like the yellow one...and the matte black stealth one. Even with all the BS above...I’d LOVE to have one. But then, I lust after toys.

Blackhorse, I know what you mean. I lust after toys myself. I think that’s kinda why I’m drawn to the vanishing point. Plus I like the other pilots pens I have. If I do make my mind up I will do like you said and order from Japan and save some $$$.

There’s just something about the mechanics of the vanishing point versus just screwing the top off. And like my Sheaffer snorkel pen. The complex mechanism is fascinating.

Don't have Pilot; I have an older Namiki - from the 90s. I believe they are related...

It has a nice fine point (Japanese tense to run finer). The click is different; the nib is kept up in pocket, and the nib stays moist and ready to write for quite a while. I enjoy it when it comes up thru the rotation of pens.

I think the Namiki design is still in production. There are currently two versions of the Vanishing Point, one slightly larger (fatter?) than the other. One is still called the Namiki Vanishing Point by some vendors while others call it the Pilot Vanishing Point. As far as I know these pens are essentially identical and the Namiki might just be old stock still being sold after Pilot changed their branding of the pen. THEN there’s the Pilot Vanishing Point Decimo...slimmer and lighter than the original.

There are also other retractable fountain pens out there, as well as Chinese clones of the Pilot...but I don’t think they’re trying to fool anyone, just offering a cheaper pen via Chinese labor.

If you decide to order anything straight from Japan, know that it would come with no warranty. Be careful and know exactly what it is that you are buying.

Well, I went and done it. I pulled the trigger on a vanishing point last night. I bought it from Japan. The seller had excellent feedback. And had several on his site for sale. It is a red body with silver trim. The email with the tracking number said it shipped this morning and should be here by may 8th. Enough pens for now! But I need more paper. Lol

If I get in trouble m going to tell her “ but blackhorse said it was ok to get it” lol

Well I lied. I was looking at a red/silver fine nib and a black/silver med nib. I bought the black/silver. It’s a pilot Namiki capless vanishing point.

Yeap it is. Plus I could have purchased 2 there for what one would have cost at Goulet

Oh crappers blackhorse, I forgot to post that I received my pilot capless vanishing point about 10 days early from the land of the rising sun. Black body with silver trim, medium nib but not 18kit nib but the special alloy one. It’s taking a little getting use to with the clip between your fingers while writing. But it’s a damn smooth writer. Although the pilot med nib is similar in line weight to my lamy’s and Conklin fine nibs. It did not come with a con 40 but I ca borrow one out of a metro I’m not using at the moment, or just get some carts for it locally.

I have to admit . I am really liking this pen. It’s a great writing pen, but does take a little getting use to. The pen clip goes in between your thumb and fore finger when writing with it. I ordered mine with a medium nib. I’m using a pilot ink cartridge with it now because I had a couple off them laying around. Mine doesn’t write excessively wet but just damp enough to slow me down when writing. I’m left handed so I tend to drag my hand through what I write if I’m not paying attention to what I’m doing. But I think it’s a great pen and love the push button to use it like a regular click pen. If you like a larger barreled pen give it me a try.