Pipe And A Movie/The Hobbit... Anti Add After Credits

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthonyrosenthal74

Reaction score
As you can tell from the title, this is going to be a little different than my normal Pipe And A Movie routine. You'll see what I'm talking about at the end.

The Pipes (Yeah I smoked two this time): Bjarne Viking Classic Houston, Peterson St. Patty's Day 2013
The Tobaccos (smoked two of these as well): Sutliff's Alexander Bridge, Puff'n Stuff (a mixture of just about everything I've smoked all mixed together in a mason jar.
The Movie: The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey

This movie is, in my opinion, the ultimate pipe smoking movie and a good long journey into the world Tolkien created. I'm sure the majority of us have seen this movie and are eagerly awaiting the second installment which should be hitting theaters in a few days. Just before I hit play on the DVD I loaded up my Bjarne Viking Classic with some Alexander Bridge. This pipe is quite lovely, a bent dublin with nice looking grain, and a reddish brown stain and glossy finish that really makes it pop. Another thing so lovely about this pipe is that it's really beginning to smoke quite well, and as many know, they are quite affordable. I think pipesandcigars.com continuously has them on sale for around $55.00. Anyway.... it smoked Alexander Bridge to nothing but ash, only relighting when I let it go out because I let it smoke a bit hot. I was puffing like a freight train for a bit, before slowing down and enjoying the pipe, the tobacco, and the movie.

Speaking of the movie. There is one scene near the beginning I could watch time and time again. Gandalf and the dwarfs have all arrived at the home of Bilbo Baggins and after a rowdy bout of feasting and drinking and planning, the dwarfs and Gandalf gather with their pipes near the fire place. Bilbo, unsure of what to do listens from his bedroom as Thorin Oakensheild leads Gandalf and the others in a slow droning ballad that, in my opinion really grips a man's soul. It's beautiful but masculine. Here is the scene.... Don't worry if you haven't seen the movie, this will not ruin it for you. It's a short but wonderful scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyy_FIYE7EE

As the movie progressed, I smoked through the bowl of Alexander Bridge, as stated above. Being a long movie, I wanted to enjoy another pipe. So I reached for my trusty Peterson. I've mentioned many times on this forum that it's probably my best smoker. Wanting something different, I grabbed my jar of Puff'n Stuff, a blend of "left behinds" from just about everything I've smoked in my first year of pipe smoking. I gotta tell you... this stuff has actually gotten quite good. A blend of balkans and aromatics, but mainly aromatics, it has developed into a descent tasting, and very nice smelling blend. The light amount of latakia within and the small amount of Gettysburg (which is very peachy so I don't smoke it often)mixed with anything from Captain Black Dark, White, a tiny bit of Cherry, all the Brigadier Black blends, Alexander Bridge, a tiny bit of Mohawk River... I know I'm missing a few others lol... well you get the picture... actually gives the aroma a bit of cobbler and something unknown to man but must be a desert from heaven baking in a wood fire oven kinda smell. Needless to say it was a nice smoke, and as usual my Pete smoked it to the bottom just fine.

The movie, with the great acting, majestic scenery, and exceptional music score, took me out of this world for a few hours and set me within Middle Earth. I could feel the characters' triumphs, defeats, joys and sadness. I could feel the wind on my face, the cold from the snows, I could smell the stench of dark and damp caves and could feel the warmth of the warm sun on a cold landscape. I could smell the smoke from the characters pipes... I think Gimli was smoking an aro... not sure ;) But Thorin I believe smoked something akin to a Balkan ;)

All in all I had a great journey and I watched the movie through the credits as I love the closing music. One piece of music during the credits was another version of the above song. Equally as wonderful. Trust me... you WANT to listen to both! They go great with pipe smoking. Here's the other version here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJwyW9ngLNg

Alas the credits ended and the movie was over. Now here's where I was upset. At the end of the credits, of course the movie ends, and then a commercial was added on the dvd. So here I am watching this commercial for a fake cola... it was I admit kind of comical at first. Anyway it goes like this... Three people are bungy jumping off a bridge and grabbing a can of Splode Soda at the bottom before getting bounced back up. The first one jumps, grabs a Splode soda (100 percent more carbonation than any other drink) and opens it. Spraying the Splode Soda into his mouth. The second jumper does the same. The third one jumps, grabs the can at the bottom, opens the can on the way up and it explodes... the jumper with the can are disintegrated. And then it says this....

Only one product kills one third of the people using it... Tobacco.

Needless to say it pissed me off. Here we have a great movie, chock full of pipe smoking, and for some reason they decided they wanted to add an anti tobacco message at the end of the dvd. I very nearly took the dvd and threw it in the trash. I had the case in my hand and seriously nearly trashed it! I stopped only because I love the movie, will want to watch it again, and I know I don't have to watch the trash that comes on after the credits are over.

That being said. If you're looking for a great movie to watch while smoking your favorite pipes and blends. I very highly recommend this one. But if you get the dvd or have it, once the credits are over, turn it off.

Happy puffin everyone.

I know they are really strict on tobacco use in the movies and probably had to add that advertisement in there for some regulation or another. Truly sad what the world is coming to.

This doesn't bother me. I am of the opinion that people who are swayed by this type of advertising should not be smoking. If you have not reached the point in your life where you make conscious and educated decisions about the things you do, you are not mature enough to decide upon the risks associated with tobacco.

Its the same reason why I don't mind the laws that moved cigarette sales behind the counter.

Dave_In_Philly":putri268 said:
This doesn't bother me. I am of the opinion that people who are swayed by this type of advertising should not be smoking. If you have not reached the point in your life where you make conscious and educated decisions about the things you do, you are not mature enough to decide upon the risks associated with tobacco.

Its the same reason why I don't mind the laws that moved cigarette sales behind the counter.
Some VERY GOOD reasoning Dave! I have to agree with you 100%

Ya but who is the target audience for the add? Its in a spot rarely reached to in a movie.

Just some more Big Brother BS guidance they charge us for in the way of outrageous taxes.
Seems to me that instead of paying thousands of dollars for toilet seats to go on the space shuttle the president and his staff should be wearing them as collars and, that goes for some in congress too.

Not sure who ya are or what part of middle earth your from but glad to see your taking the time to post your reviews on the BoB. Great entertaining reads, look forward to more. :cheers:

@anthony,
Usually I just skip over extra long posts but yours held my attention all the way. Now I'm ready to watch that movie all over again with 2 pipes just like you did.
Great review and thanks for the heads up on the stupid ending commercial, I'll make sure to skip that part.

Thanks everyone for the replies :)

Docwatson.... it's something I started on another forum a while back and I just have a lot of fun doing it. This is only the second one I've posted on BOB, but I'm sure I'll do more. Like I said, I have fun doing it. I think I went into a bit more detail with the pipes and tobacco in the others, but I suppose that's ok. I just like to share the experience in general. I'm glad you liked the post :)

Hawker...  I'm from Mordor, where the shadows lay lol. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. It's pretty fun writing them.

Cart... I agree wholeheartedly.

I.keenum... I suppose the target audience for the add are doofuses like myself that will actually sit through the credits! lol

Dave... I'm pushing 40 years old. I think I'm mature enough to decide whether or not I'm willing to take the risks associated with smoking. I just don't see the point in adding the advertisement into the movie when you can't turn on a tv without hearing that smoking kills. We see it and hear it enough without having to see it in a movie we pay to see. Even if it was just the dvd and even if it was the very very end. That's why it upsets me. But don't get me wrong. It's not like it ruined my whole day or anything lol. The risks of smoking are pretty much pasted all over our daily lives. There's no point in shoving it down our throats even more. That being said, however, I also agree with cigarettes being moved behind the counter. The harder it is for a minor to get cigarettes, the better. The fact that they are very harmful and very addictive is a very real fact. Thanks for posting Dave.