Pipe and cigar tobacco's voice is lost.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozark Wizard

Reaction score
All I have been hearing about in the news is the cry of the Vaper.(E-cigs). Nothing regarding cigars and pipe tobacco products.

Are we being swept under the rug?

If the regulations arrived as expected, I predict, they'd be followed by "a period of petulant tribalism that will be absolutely chaotic."

I think we might be there...

Mind you, I haven't made it through the whole mammoth text from the FDA, too much legalspeak clogs my pathways. This document is full of it............

I'd hasten to point out that that we've often flown under the radar in the past and it's turned out to our advantage (or, at least, not to our disadvantage). Not having a voice (more importantly, not being big and loud enough to get on the bad side of "big tobacco") has already save all of us untold amounts of money not caught up in tax increases, ability to order by mail/internet, and other things.

I'm still not convinced this is a done deal - there are still some pieces in motion. I know it won't be a popular opinion here, but even if things go the way they look like they're going, I guess my take on it is that it was going to happen eventually...better now than a decade ago.

Ozark Wizard":1lx50cgj said:
All I have been hearing about in the news is the cry of the Vaper.(E-cigs). Nothing regarding cigars and pipe tobacco products.

Are we being swept under the rug?

If the regulations arrived as expected, I predict, they'd be followed by "a period of petulant tribalism that will be absolutely chaotic."

I think we might be there...

Mind you, I haven't made it through the whole mammoth text from the FDA, too much legalspeak clogs my pathways. This document is full of it............

I certainly feel like we are being swept under the rug. I'm sure you have already seen my posts about it and you know where I stand LOL.

We're definitely being left out in the cold. Everyone is worried about cigars and when I try to point out that pipe tobacco is F$@ked they ignore me. We don't have the pull like the cigar industry does. We don't have a Rocky Patel and Alec Bradley that'll go to the mat for us. While we support a lot of jobs cigars easily support well over 100,000 people on the planet.

ZeroContent":zh2w9p29 said:
We're definitely being left out in the cold.  Everyone is worried about cigars and when I try to point out that pipe tobacco is F$@ked they ignore me.  We don't have the pull like the cigar industry does.  We don't have a Rocky Patel and Alec Bradley that'll go to the mat for us.  While we support a lot of jobs cigars easily support well over 100,000 people on the planet.
Don't forget we have a full time lobby in the CRA, I've been a member since about day one and we still didn't get the premium hand rolled cutout we were hoping for. The problem with pipe tobacco is that most of what is sold is relabeled RYO cigarette tobacco. I'm lucky I like aged tobacco so I been overbuying for 20++ years and have more than a lifetime supply of pipe tobacco in jars and tins but cigars is another matter. :shock:

daveinlax":p5b1wfbz said:
ZeroContent":p5b1wfbz said:
We're definitely being left out in the cold.  Everyone is worried about cigars and when I try to point out that pipe tobacco is F$@ked they ignore me.  We don't have the pull like the cigar industry does.  We don't have a Rocky Patel and Alec Bradley that'll go to the mat for us.  While we support a lot of jobs cigars easily support well over 100,000 people on the planet.
Don't forget we have a full time lobby in the CRA, I've been a member since about day one and we still didn't get the premium hand rolled cutout we were hoping for. The problem with pipe tobacco is that most of what is sold is relabeled RYO cigarette tobacco. I'm lucky I like aged tobacco so I been overbuying for 20++ years and have more than a lifetime supply of pipe tobacco in jars and tins but cigars is another matter. :shock:      
2015 S. 441 is still in play to exclude cigars.

The reason all you are hearing about is e-cigs is because this was designed to stop ecigs. Pipes and cigars are innocent victims that got shot in the drive by.

Big tobacco and big pharmacy have been seething. They paid good money for the government and up until now every attempt to keep people smoking and getting cancer has been thwarted.

We can all rest well now knowing that millions will continue to smoke and keep big tobac and big pharm rolling in the dough.

I think a lobbyist is the only solution. It seems that the cigar industry has some pretty strong lobbists but they seem to be absent or not representing the pipe tobacco industry. Pipe tobacco largely seems like a cottage industry and I suspect there is no organization or pool of fund to pay for lobbyist support.

You'd hope guys like cigars internal which owns P&C would stand up for us and hope persuade the cigar lobbiests to help us but P&C, Smoking Pipes and others have all been silent on the topic. Why?

ZeroContent":pimo1ot6 said:
You'd hope guys like cigars internal which owns P&C would stand up for us and hope persuade the cigar lobbiests to help us but P&C, Smoking Pipes and others have all been silent on the topic. Why?
No doubt they are active on this. And why wouldn't they be? Perhaps it's just that they don't have info to share at this point.

I can't possibly believe they will sit still on this.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":milp41on said:
ZeroContent":milp41on said:
No doubt they are active on this. And why wouldn't they be? Perhaps it's just that they don't have info to share at this point.

Cheers,

RR
My personal opinion (super uneducated regarding tobacco but I feel like it's reasonable regarding the way govt/big business works) is that little will change as far as blends and availability go short of maybe a temporary unavailability due to panic buying. However lawyers will be getting involved and lobbying will be done by the tobacco companies and distributors and the consumer will foot the bill in the form of increased prices in the coming few years.

For as much as other tobacco costs and as expensive as pipes are, pipe smokers have it made on tobacco. It costs peanuts compared to Marlboro, Ashton or Copenhagen habit. I don't see it getting cheaper.

Brewdude":cx91zgd4 said:

I agree. They're probably silent at this point because they have nothing concrete to say, and speculation from an industry source at this point does no one any good (leads to blind optimism or consumer panic).

Bemused":cx91zgd4 said:
My personal opinion (super uneducated regarding tobacco but I feel like it's reasonable regarding the way govt/big business works) is that little will change as far as blends and availability go short of maybe a temporary unavailability due to panic buying. However lawyers will be getting involved and lobbying will be done by the tobacco companies and distributors and the consumer will foot the bill in the form of increased prices in the coming few years.
I agree with this too. I see no reason to hit the panic button at this point...that time may come, but I don't think it's now.

Granted, I'm buying blends to cellar, but I've been doing that for a few years now so it's really just business as usual. I might swing a little more of my cellaring attention to post-07 blends just in case, but I don't see a reason to deviate from the plan all that much.

Just breathe.

Kids are told tobacco is evil.
This is the result. Tobacco use equals cocaine use.