Pipe Bag

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growley

Reaction score
Hey Brothers,

I decided to mess around with some leather scraps. I bought a 3 lb bag of leather scraps from Hobby Lobby over the weekend, and just had to try my hand at some leatherwork. I guess I got tired of seeing everyone's cool pipe gear, and decided to make a pipe bag for myself.

I finished it and showed my wife with a smile on my face and maybe even a bit of pride...to which she responded, "you made a purse?"  :oops: 

I prefer to call it my MAN BAG!  8) 

Anyway (pics or didn't happen) here are some pics. I had to start off first by piecing two pieces of leather together, just to get a big enough piece to work with. Then I just went to work hacking, sewing and cutting. Finally, I hand shaped some water buffalo horn into a sort of tie stopper. I didn't mess with dividers or anything like that, just a simple purse...uh, I mean man bag.

Bag1-e1395715931759.jpg

Bag2-e1395715949125.jpg

Bag3-e1395715968960.jpg

Bag4-e1395716004160.jpg

Nice looking convenient pipe gear tote -- Great idea and thanks for sharing  :) 

That is awesome Buddy, we don't do 'purse' mate, it's a Pouch, don't go getting the 'men' all worked up now, it's a pouch, right.  :lol!: 

I really like that - ticks all the boxes for me.

I've seen a few pipe 'pouches' and none of them have interested me - but your 'purse' is just the ticket - i like the elegant simplicity of it - it will do the job nicely.

That pipe, by the way, is absolutely gorgeous!

Very nice my friend! I told you leatherwork was your next step ;-)

Nice pouch that, Mr Growley Sir. I particularly like the suede out finish, interior compartments and the unusual looking fastener. Another good addition to the Growley repertoire?

Briar Spirit":lqr1jr3j said:
That is awesome Buddy, we don't do 'purse' mate, it's a Pouch, don't go getting the 'men' all worked up now, it's a pouch, right.  :lol!: 
Yeah, that was a joke. It's a pouch for sure. I could see this tucked under Aragorn's saddle somewhere...and Aragorn was a real man! I mean...for being fictional that is.

klause":8mlgd5oi said:
I really like that - ticks all the boxes for me.  

I've seen a few pipe 'pouches' and none of them have interested me - but your 'purse' is just the ticket - i like the elegant simplicity of it - it will do the job nicely.

That pipe, by the way, is absolutely gorgeous!
Thanks. I just realized I hadn't posted pics of the pipe here yet. I liked it so much I had to keep it...that and the fact that it has ivory on it, and with the new laws, I won't be selling ivory any more.

PozzSka":hvgrxo3v said:
Ha, like everything, there's a trick to it, or many, most of which I don't know yet. I could see real leather work needing a better sewing machine than I've got, or not necessarily better, but more purposed. Mine is a good machine, but it's not set up for thick leather.

Stick":6xia2209 said:
Nice pouch that, Mr Growley Sir. I particularly like the suede out finish, interior compartments and the unusual looking fastener. Another good addition to the Growley repertoire?
I'm not really planning on adding leather work in, but I guess I never "planned" on making pipes either. I just did it one day.

I left the suede out for form and function. This particular leather looks like it was treated for a car seat or something. It's very well protected on the non-suede side. I wanted a more rustic look. Plus, the suede would make cleaning the bag out much harder. Tobacco would stick to it, but it will wipe right out of the finished leather. Win, win!

pepesdad1":ubihrbwp said:
Good looking pipe bag!  Love the pipe!
Thanks pepesdad. I'll try to post some pics of the pipe later today.

Growley":7j8pbf79 said:
PozzSka":7j8pbf79 said:
Ha, like everything, there's a trick to it, or many, most of which I don't know yet. I could see real leather work needing a better sewing machine than I've got, or not necessarily better, but more purposed. Mine is a good machine, but it's not set up for thick leather.
I have another friend who does leatherwork, (www.wrightandrede.com) and he sews everything by hand, for the same reason. Good stuff over there, he's even considered doing a pipe bag himself, he was asking for some input.

Keep up the good work!

Nice man bag sir! One of these days I gotta make or get a decent bag.

Jim

gregandrews":7xl6xhef said:
That is sweet..awesome job!! My wife loves your countertop.
Ha, tell her it's impossible to keep clean. You just can't see anything on it.