Pipe bits/protectors

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolson

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am just getting my collection broken in.....all new pipes and was wondering about the bit protectors? I seem to bite too hard on my stems and have noticed the teeth marks already....are the stem protectors a good idea? Are they the sign of a novice and inexperienced smoker waiting to be ostrasized by his peers?

i'm new and i use them, they work great, no more teeth marks. most of my pipes are bent so i like to bite down on them and smoke "hands free" so the bits are perfect for me. i've also noticed that more experienced pipe smokers don't use them.

I have never used them regularly but am currently considering giving them a go. I've seriously upgraded my own collection lately and I'm naturally much more protective of the big money briars. My only issue with them is that stuff tends to build up underneath them and vulacanite stems can rapidly discolour if left un checked for too long. Some find that it makes the bit much too thick so you'll have to expeiment yourself with them....

Best,
Dock
:pipe:

I have used them for years on all of my pipes with the exception of one in my rotation right now. They only reason that I don't on the one is because it has a very norrow vulcanite stem and is very soft anyway. I find that not only do they protect the stems but they make it very comfortable to clinch the pipe. It doesn't take long at all to get use to them.

The reason older, more experienced pipe smokers don't use these is because they don't have enough teeth left to damage the bits.

Mike

pipemaker":en4ab8ll said:
The reason older, more experienced pipe smokers don't use these is because they don't have enough teeth left to damage the bits.

Mike

:lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

pipemaker":oof34ztq said:

Mike
There is a lot of truth in this statement. I hold my pipes in hand anyway and that helps me from getting the bowl over heated :cyclops: :sunny:

Thanks for your posts...I will improve my technique and stop worrying about slight damage to my pipes.
This is a great forum for information for a newbie like me.

Yo Bolson, I use them on all my pipes![false teeth}, Ken. :D
pacem en Puffing! :tongue: :pirat:

I use them on some pipes, depends on how the pipe feels in my teeth, the condition of the stem, and how heavy the pipe is..I tend to use them on heavier pipes and straight pipes, just easier to hold

I've never used them, but have considered it... Maybe I will at some point, but right now I kind of like the character my bite marks add. Granted, I don't smoke expensive pipes...

-Andrew

I use "pipe condoms" on most of my pipes. I like to be able to smoke hands free, without worrying about teeth marks.

The only reason I've heard not to use them is something about them rubbing the stem and leaving marks. I don't know if there is anything to that, but I've started waxing the stem under the protector when I wax my stems.

I use them about half my pipes they cirtantley do protact them i have realy sarp canibes and all my pipes i dont have a rubber bit on have one deep indent on the top all the ones i do use them are still mint. Love them

I have mixed feelings about those. Have them in three or four of my larger pipes, and they help. In other larger pipes, plus in medium and smaller pipes, they don't work for me. But I am not a clencher. Yeah, and I also don't like the way they look.

I am a clencher, yet I do not care to use them. They feel too thick and bulky. I like thin vulcanite stems, and the protectors are not comfortable for me.