Pipe Boards vs. Cigar Boards

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPT/VSG

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
As a serious cigar smoker/collector from 2002 through 2007, I participated at a couple of cigar boards, principally Cigar Family. I posted only about cigars and ignored all the flame wars. When I changed over to the pipe, I looked at numerous pipe boards before joining this one.

The biggest difference I've noticed between cigar and pipe boards is the nearly universal civility of pipe posters as opposed to the endless flames, slams and insults of many of the cigar posters.

Why do you think that is? My theory is that the pipe attracts a more relaxed, reflective type of person.

I am only an occassional cigar smoker so I'm really not too familiar with the general population of cigar smokers. In my limited experience, most of the cigar smokers I have met have been A type personalities. They either were, or were trying to put forth the image of, people of money and influence. Many were pushy and had a "I'm better than you are" attitude. Pipe smokers on the other hand seem to be, in general, calmer more layed back types. I've rarely met a pipe smoker who wasn't friendly and immediately, well brotherly, toward another pipe smoker. You can approach a pipe man and comment on his pipe or ask about the blend he's smoking and instatntly you're talking like old friends.
Another thing I've noticed about cigar smokers; they invariable talk about business or what they do for a living and become quite animated while doing so. I make weekly trips to my local B & M just to sit and smoke. I've been doing this for about five months now and no one has asked me what I do for a living or talked business, except the cigar smokers.
Now I'm not saying that all cigar smokers are like that, just most of them. I've met a few that are very friendly unassuming guys who are a pleasure to be around.

Centurian 803":4zy8ha7j said:
A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child. Indian Proverb.
I think this wonderful epigraph explains it all.

I know there are some cigar smokers on here but I believe what has already been pointed out will be the general concensus of most. Not that we don't have our moments of disagreement as pipe smokers, but for the most part there is a more brotherly attitude among pipe smokers and thus more civility on the pipe boards, at least the BoB anyway.

Mark said it well.

(and I be one of 'dem cigar smokas'). In the past 15 years of cigar smoking I have noticed one general trend that seems to be unioversal throughout and that is that whatever personality type leans one toward the cigar is a bit different than that of the pipe.

I think( humbly) that pipe smokeers personality is more relaxed and accepting than those of cigar smokers...as a SWEEPING generalization now...

Another point to consider is that cigar smoking attracts a much younger crowd these days and with the online chats, a geater number of them are populated by the twenty-something crowd...seem to be a bit stronger in opinion and more outspoken.

As a pipe smoker for about 2 years plus now, and this being the first REAL forum, I can say BOB is my favorite place to unwind....youguys are alwasy so accepting.

my humble .02 worth.

Davey

ps if you smoke Fuente cigars...you're lame!!! ok just kidding...but seriously...

I would agree with all that has been said above. I think that pipe smokers tend to be more mellowed out group than cigar smokers. I have noticed this at a couple of the local B&M's here in the Phoenix area that have large smoking lounges and have a mixture of cigar and pipe smokers. I also partake of the occasional cigar.

Hmmmmm...... :suspect:

My arrival was interesting enough to get moved to the "rubber room" in spite of my best
efforts to explain why I wanted to share here.

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/rubber-room-f9/another-pipe-smokers-board-t3349.htm

Am I still a little ticked? Yes, and for a damn good reason!

Will I stay eventually? Don't know just yet.

Most pipe smokers I know are calm and very polite people. If I find them here I'll stay.
I'll see how it goes from here..........

Buck":gpn3pwvk said:
Hmmmmm...... :suspect:

My arrival was interesting enough to get moved to the "rubber room" in spite of my best

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/rubber-room-f9/another-pipe-smokers-board-t3349.htm

Will I stay eventually? Don't know just yet.

Most pipe smokers I know are calm and very polite people. If I find them here I'll stay.
I'll see how it goes from here..........
Glad you're still here; we're not that bad. ;)

Huh? You concluded with this:

But opened with this:

Looks like the one answered the other. You already swung through once, and didn't find things to your liking.

Do you mean you are giving us a second chance? :lol: That's rather odd, I think. A much more likely explanation of why you (in essence) are challenging a board to change its personality to suit you, is you enjoy the churn such attempts create.

There's a word for that, you know: Troll.

C'mon Buck,,,,just move on,,,relax,,,ya gotta admit it's not dull ,,,,I'll buy ya a couple beers ,,,,yeah, THAT'S the ticket !!!

I have a question. Why in the....would someone want to come here and infringe on us the same parameters as Smokers Forum?

Cigars are like the fast food of tobacco where as pipes are the gourmet food. Anyone can smoke a cigar but there is a certain level of patience that smoking a pipe requires, hence the reason pipe-o's are more easy-going.

That's my two cents.

Irene Adler":2fw4edx2 said:
Cigars are like the fast food of tobacco where as pipes are the gourmet food. Anyone can smoke a cigar but there is a certain level of patience that smoking a pipe requires, hence the reason pipe-o's are more easy-going.

That's my two cents.
Well said Amy!

Justpipes":stpl5smq said:
I have a question. Why in the....would someone want to come here and infringe on us the same parameters as Smokers Forum?
That's why I think he's just trolling. If formality and strict thread adherence are what he wants, it already exists.

SF is a roast beef dinner served on a linen tablecloth. BoB is Tex-Mex served on beer-spilled plank tables. Which is "better?" Absurd question. Eat what you like. Either permanently, or depending on your mood.

I think the two forums compliment each other. I frequent and enjoy them both but I'd certainly not find a need to duplicate either one.

Puff Daddy":42c91ocu said:
I think the two forums compliment each other. I frequent and enjoy them both but I'd certainly not find a need to duplicate either one.
Good point PD! In asking my question, I wasn't knocking the other board. I just don't understand why someone would come here and expect this board to be like that one in order to suit them.

I visit SF from time to time and enjoy the information there but I don't expect them to run the board to suit me.

LL":hjdbciqq said:
Justpipes":hjdbciqq said:

SF is a roast beef dinner served on a linen tablecloth. BoB is Tex-Mex served on beer-spilled plank tables.
I'll take Tex-Mex and a Negro Modelo on plank tables over roast beef on linen tablecloths anyday!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

I feel like on eof us tripped a Bouncing Betty somewhere under tthe sand...

I can think of no reason wny anoyone would want to contribute to a forum that upsets oneself...unless that is a form of relaxation for the individual.

Either way, welcome and I suppose you may find the banter here on the more accepting side.

David

Puff Daddy":9q145t8f said:
Me too, but when I'm there, I sometimes feel like I'm
walkin' on egg shells. Dey gots rules on top of rules. ;)