Pipe cleaners and cleaning newbie question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tzakiel

Reaction score
I'm totally new, had my first bowl yesterday (and loved it)

Pipe cleaners - after every single time you smoke? Even the first few smokes of a new pipe?

How many times can a pipe cleaner be used? My shop charged me $4 for a small handful.

I use one after every bowl, sometimes during the bowl, if I get a gurgle.

My local tobacconist as well as some on-line vendors charge $2.00 for a pack of 100 pipe cleaners, so using them when you need to can actually be affordable.

I am cheap though. I use both ends of my pipe cleaner, and then I take a set of wire cutters and cut the pipe cleaner in half. Then I use both clean ends from the center, before I dispose of them.

Dutch":m0oj4hrr said:
I take a set of wire cutters and cut the pipe cleaner in half. Then I use both clean ends from the center, before I dispose of them.
I've NEVER thought of that! :shock:

tzakiel":9un68itv said:
I've got an enormous churchwarden, so I need all that length :)
Have you tried these for your Churchwarden"

http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/dept?dpt=D&srch=DD&tier2=7

As far as using cleaners, it's sort of like the "one light" myth, don't worry about it. Use what YOU need to get an enjoyable smoke and at the prices you give for the B&M you go to, I'd pass on what they have and buy on-line for a LOT LESS! Some tobacco's smoke moister than others as do some pipes. It's all part of the learning curve. Don't fret about it, there is no ONE way to enjoy this habit, only YOUR way for YOU :p

monbla256":qhp0sb9l said:
tzakiel":qhp0sb9l said:
I've got an enormous churchwarden, so I need all that length :)
Have you tried these for your Churchwarden"
I'll definitely pick some up online, thanks... just wanted to verify that a new one should be used each time... I guess so!

I use at least 1 after each smoke down the stem/shank. Then I make it into a U shape and use that to clean the inside of the bowl out, then into the trash. If I am doing a salt treatment I will go through 15 or so through the cleaning process.

I run one in as soon as I finish smoking a bowl. At the end of the day of the next morning I give all pipes smoked for the day a good cleaning.

Like Dutch I cut mine. But I do it a little differently. I use one for the stem and then for the shank I keep trimming the same side down until I can't use it anymore. I'll get 4 to 5 cuts from one cleaner. That's for the thicker cleaners.

If you're a real cheap bastard, you can get rolls of pipe cleaner and cut off appropriate lengths as you need them. I've seen rolls for pretty cheap.

8)

Kyle Weiss":04nyrac8 said:
If you're a real cheap bastard, you can get rolls of pipe cleaner and cut off appropriate lengths as you need them. I've seen rolls for pretty cheap.

8)
Kyle, when I first started buying pipe cleaners, I had no idea you could buy it uncut on a wood reel. I was hesitant at first to purchase one, but once it occurred to me that I could turn the reel on it's side and use it as an end table, I went ahead and ordered two! :pirat:

Dutch":2ry9sew0 said:
Kyle, when I first started buying pipe cleaners, I had no idea you could buy it uncut on a wood reel. I was hesitant at first to purchase one, but once it occurred to me that I could turn the reel on it's side and use it as an end table, I went ahead and ordered two! :pirat:
That's...purely awesome. :D Pictures?

8)

You want tke keep your pipes fresh, right? So check out internet pipe sites for good prices. Buy in quantity. Then use them as if they're free.

Dutch":1utjsk16 said:
That's friggin awesome, Dutch! Any leads on where one can find such rolls? Thanks.

Rolls of them, that's a great suggestion. :D I also like Dutch's idea of trimming the ends off. :cheers:

I use the tapered BJ Longs to clean up after each smoke. Once cleaned I then insert a fresh one to soak up any excess moisture while the pipe rests. That cleaner then becomes the next one I use for either dobbing up moisture during the next smoke of for cleaning afterwards. Typically, I have the soft tapered cleaners on hand by the thousands. Every 10 smokes of so I use a scruffy cleaner and some Bacardi 151 on any pipe in need. As long as I keep up with this I have never had a problem with any of my briars not smoking nice and neutral.

I think he's kidding, but if not, I too want to see this huge fuzzy roll of pipe cleanerness!

I have the wife pick up pipe cleaners at the craft store though they may call them 'chenille' in this PC modern age. They are about 12 inches long, and as noted above I'll use the ends and then trim the used sections off with a pair of wire cutters.

Is it true that aging pipe cleaners enhances their performance?

KevinM":3323vsja said:
Is it true that aging pipe cleaners enhances their performance?
Only if kept in sealed, 16oz mason jars. The anaerobic action breaks down the fibers, strengthens the steel and develops its own solvent.

8)