Pipe cleaning gone wrong

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jers

Reaction score
I recently acquired my first estate pipe, a 1950's Parker. Intending that the pipe was properly sanitised I ordered a Denicare cleaningkit (containing Denicare mouthpiece polish, briar polish and a small bottle of Deniclean solution).

I cleaned the Parker and as I made such a good job of it went on to polish and Deniclean my other pipes.

Just one problem........I have just smoked two of my pipes since and there is a rather rank under flavour appearing during the smokes. I can't tell if it's the mouthpiece polish or the Deniclean solution but I suspect the later.

I have dry cleaned all of my pipes and also given them a run through with rum.

Has anybody else experienced this? Any tips or suggestions as to what I did wrong?

Thanks

Jers

I don't think Denicare is a common product here in the 'States, but if there's any kind of flavo(u)ring or "freshener" in the solution it has likely adhered to your pipe. Some pipe "sweetener" products here will do the same. Most of us use really strong spirits (Everclear, 151 rum) to do the dirty work, either leave no taste/smell/funk afterward.

Then again, it could be the polish you used on the stem...it's hard to say.

If you smoke them, the offending taste/smell will likely go away on its own.

8)

Thanks Kyle - it was something of a shock as I expected my pipes to be extra sweet and fresh. I will preservere with smoking the pipes.....the Deniclean kit is for the bin!

I will stick with rum in future.....

Fraternally

Jers

Hopefully some local gents from your area can give more expertise on the Denicare subject. I've chatted with a few guys across the pond that use it and like it.

I made the mistake of cleaning with some gin a while back--not doing that again. :lol:

8)

I've used deniclean for quite a while now and I'm always happy with the results. It leaves no taste or smell in any of my pipes.

I think you are right to suspect the stem cleaner. I use toothpaste to clean my stems. Sometimes it does not remove the stains but the stem still tastes nice afterwards :D

Thanks Pete - Deniclean saved from the bin, polish will stay there. Toothpaste will be used at next pipe cleaning attempt.

BTW does anybody use a lip Chapstick on their mouthpieces after a smoke?...I saw it mentioned on a few Internet pages and YouTube.

Fraternally

Jers

SpeedyPete":qxdq2r0a said:
I use toothpaste to clean my stems.
Same here - applied using a very soft toothbrush it always seems to do the job for me. Afterwards I apply a tiny drop of Olive oil and polish it gently into the stem with a soft cloth. That seems to prevent any oxidation at all for quite a while

Jers":byeubmhp said:
BTW does anybody use a lip Chapstick on their mouthpieces after a smoke?
Yep, indeed. I use it before a smoke, primarily on vulcanite stems, because the sun protection factor (SPF) in many lip balms seems to inhibit oxidization (green stem syndrome) from the sun or an acidic mouth, at least for a while. I try to select lip balm that has a neutral flavor so not to introduce more flavor than needed to the bit.

8)

Good ol' mineral oil is another anti-oxident for vulcanite stems. The anti-oxidation oil applied to high-end cooking knives is mineral oil. Also good to keep your thumb-stud pocket knife working smoothly.

I've found less mineral oil is better than too much. I just touch the surface with my finger tip and spread it over the bit. Let'er sit for half an hour. Then wipe it off.

The nasty taste will probably dissipate over a bit of time. It's possible that messing with it could make it worse. You might put a cleaner down the stem for a day. Now and then I give my briars an airing in a shady corner of the deck. They seem to like it.

Of interest:

1) the SPF factor in Chapstick. That's interesting. I might have to try that.

2) mineral oil...the poor man's Obsidian. One of the very few cheap oils out there that is regarded as being 'human neutral' - commonly recommended for knife blades that will later be used for food things. It's a good suggestion. I use Camelia Oil on my high carbon blades and once tried it on a vulcanite/ebonite stem. It worked really well.

3) I commonly use "Denicare" (the vulcanite cleaner) on appropriate stems and if not wiped off really well it does leave a 'machine' flavor. I know you guys are talking about 'Deniclean' which I've never used. I have one little bottle of Bee Sweet left and it grieves me no end that it's not made any longer. The new stuff works...I just like Bee Sweet though.

Thanks guys - this forum is a gold mine of information for a new guy like myself!

‘Machine' flavour is a great way to define the unpleasant taste pervading my smoke - it certainly points the finger at the Denicare stem polish.

We all gain experience, to a greater or lesser extent, from trial and error but this was one mistake I would have gladly missed.

I really, really enjoy Peterson's Special 2012 Reserve and had an exceptional bowl of it the other morning from my churchwarden - it was just faultless. I was thinking of the 'faultless' smoke when I lit up earlier this evening, hence the shock and horror at the bad experience.

BTW bottle of 151 overproof rum ordered.

Thanks again

Jers