Pipe Filter Adapters: A product review.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
Upon a suggestion, I went and got a few 9mm filter adapters from Cup O' Joes, found here:

http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=H&srch=KW&item=pip92nf

I have just a couple 9mm filter pipes, that were actually bought because I didn't ask the right questions nor did the seller provide full information. My fault, my problem. It's come to my attention, however, that I don't actually mind filter pipes--I simply smoke them without the filter. My cobs taught me that much, though the cobs benefit from a little bent piece of pipe cleaner to catch ash (and the stray ember).

In any case, the draw on them isn't any better or worse than any other pipe. In fact, with a filter-less filter pipe, you don't have to worry about gurgle. Moisture, if any (whether condensed or...I hate to say it... "backwash") collects in the chamber and doesn't interfere with the smoke--but I have had hardly a moist "space" to deal with.

So, I receive these 9mm filter "blanks" (adapter) thingies. They're essentially an acrylic tube with a small rubber ring inset 3/4 toward one end. I'm not sure what Cup O' Joes has pictured, but it isn't what I received, exactly. In any case, I popped them in to both pipes and tried them out.

I was quite impressed by the fact they seemed to do almost nothing--which is a good thing. I didn't want to restrict the draw, but more take up the space to see if there was a difference in smoking. I ended up getting a really good, dry smoke with the thing in both pipes. The draw was unhindered. Neat!

The problem lay in the fact of how I treated them.

I noticed a couple of days later, walking past my collection, something stunk! Sour pipe a go-go! Gross! Where was it coming from? Lo, the two filter pipes. Stem came off, re-cleaned, re-dried. A day later... still stinky! What the heck?

Finally, as I'm a slow learner, I didn't think to check the one variable that I, myself, had included. The filter adapter. Pop! Off it came, and a dribble of nasty, slightly alcoholic and brown tobacco liquid came out. Gross!

What happened was, the filter, which installs on the stem side, has the rubber ring (mentioned above)... it being a secondary add-on, there was obviously some "trapping" space between the upper part of the ring and the rest of the stem leading to the mouthpiece. Great gutter, excellent trap--no wonder I got such a great smoke!

So, with that said, these aren't a "set it and forget it" attachment. Hey, there were no instructions. Lesson learned.

I can say, though, with the extra step in cleaning by removing the adapter, I'd suggest there's an advantage, almost a "system" type of reservoir thing going on if these little guys are employed. I'm not joking, the smoking experience with them in place was noticeable. Some that hate "system" pipes because of the extra cleaning may scoff and hate this idea, but those who like cheap pipes that can also deal with a filter adapter (or those that want to make new use out of their already-owned 9mm filter pipes), should look into these accessories.

(Thanks to Richard Burley for finding these for me!)

As a final note, there are also these things for 6mm pipes:

http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=H&srch=KW&item=pip62nf

They, however, do not look to be the same design. They're just tubes, and I don't see a rubber ring. I'm not sure the function would be the same as with the 9mm adapters.

Forget about them, IMHO. My first decent pipe was a bent Savinelli that came with this adapter as well as a package of balsa filters. I would try one, then adapt the pipe for the other, and then switch back; I honestly didn't see too much difference one way or another in terms of draw or flavor. I eventually said to heck with it; I think if anyone is thinking that a filter might have any health benefits is probably deluding themselves, in any case. I don't even know if I still have the adapter, it might be sitting in the pipe (on the back of the rack) gathering dust.

I've never understood filter or stinger pipes, they seem like too much trouble, and they make tobacco taste awful in most cases I've attempted to use them. They do have their fans, though.

I'm just glad this contraption seemed to work okay for me. Whether or not I continue with it remains to be seen.

Aren't Savinelli pipes all 6mm? This product is a bit different than the 6mm filter adapters I've run across. They all seem to lack the rubber ring and specific fit.