pipe filters

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0ldManJenkins

Reaction score
This might be a common question, but I didn't see the it directly mentioned.

What is the purpose of a filter? I have a Missouri Meershaum pipe, and it came with a filter, and from the descriptions, most if not all their pipes have them. It appears to be not much more than a rolled up piece of (waxy?) paper. The cob tutorial on BoB (great post) said to throw it away, it just gets soggy and dirty.

I can't see how it could filter much, but maybe it is supposed to soak up moisture to help avoid tongue bite?

Are they used by experienced pipe smokers, and/or would they be of use to a novice?

Cobs are super absorbent anyway, there's little if any at all benefit of the paper filters. The only advantage is that they correct the draw to the certain extent. Missouri Meerschaum shanks are drilled more than 4 mm, and some people find it wider than usual and uncomfortable.

If the draw is ok, I don't see any reason to keep the filter.

I don't see any reason for a filter in any pipe except to impair smoking qualities.
Don't use'em, never have, never will. That's just my personal opinion and I'm not open for discussion.

Some folks feel that smoking a filter pipe is totally unnecessary, and that filter pipes are primarily smoked by smokers who don't know any better than to use them.

There are also some folks that feel that a pipe should be smoked in the exact configuration that the pipe maker created the pipe. That to change anything about a given pipe, somehow shows a lack of respect to the pipe maker.

As you can imagine, it's best to just try smoking your pipe both ways, and decide what you prefer. After all, it's your pipe, and the smoke is going in your mouth.

Think of it as a tampon for pipes. I can see them as useful for a beginner who drools like crazy. Not much else, although an acquaintance who smokes a pipe even more than I swears by them, and no gentle chiding can make him dispense with them. He inhales, so maybe he thinks he's gaining an edge. Whatever works; who cares?

Dutch":47wsoj3b said:
Some folks feel that smoking a filter pipe is totally unnecessary, and that filter pipes are primarily smoked by smokers who don't know any better than to use them.

There are also some folks that feel that a pipe should be smoked in the exact configuration that the pipe maker created the pipe. That to change anything about a given pipe, somehow shows a lack of respect to the pipe maker.

As you can imagine, it's best to just try smoking your pipe both ways, and decide what you prefer. After all, it's your pipe, and the smoke is going in your mouth.
Dutch has summed it up nicely!! It's another of those definately indefinate things about pipe smoking !! :twisted: :twisted: Myself, I don't use 'em, don't like 'em and see no need for 'em! But that's me :twisted: :twisted:

Cob filters come out as soon as I get the pipe.

I've got a couple briar pipes that take filters. I use the "natur meerschaum" brand which is filled with meerschaum chips and absorbs a lot of moisture. I've noticed it smooths out some of the harshness in some blends for me.
Whatever works for ya.

I can't stand filters (cobs or briars), and always toss 'em.

The only exception is the rock maple insert for Brigham pipes. I keep them around for rainy days. I rarely use them, but I've found that some blends do actually taste a bit better with the insert (I'd estimate my Brigham sees the insert about 10% of the time).

I use the maple inserts in my Brigham 5 dot. Insert in place or not the pipe smokes the same- great, I wish I had another just like it. I always use the insert, part of my Brigham smoking ritual I guess, and it does keep the stem cleaner.

I am not a person who likes smoking with filters. However,I have noticed that with cobs, I prefer to use those rolled paper filters. They help to reduce the amount of moisture in the smoke, which is a good thing. I live in a very humid environment, and sometimes, I find it necessary to use the filters to my advantage.

I don't drool much, but I do live in Florida, where the humidity is often barely lower than a glass of water a lot of the time...

I appreciate the replies.

I'm thinking I'll experiment a little while, just to see if they do cut the moisture down. I do get a bit of tongue burn, but that could just be part of my learning curve.

The one that I pulled out of my pipe was damp, after 3 bowls.. I think I might dry my tobacco a bit more before smoking too.

Florida is definitely a "challenging" place to keep anything lit. I was thinking of making a blend with a dash of Thermite in it just for the coastal market. Seriously though, Dutch nailed it. Smoke what you like amigo.

I am going to be a of a contrarian here.

I know filters aren't particularly popular, especially here in the USA. But I do think they serve a purpose. There are some blends that they work fabulous for (certain American, European and some Danish style aromatics which can bite). The charcoal activated filters used in most 9mm pipes can minimize this without too much effect on overall flavor. Also these types of filters help remove some nicotine and if there are a few blends that you really enjoy smoking but the nicotine overage has you down, a charcoal filter can help. For instance I have 2 Vauen pipes. They are both excellent smokers, btw. Mostly I use Savinelli balsa filters in them which only wick away excess moisture. But now and again I'll pop a charcoal filter in for something with a boatload of nicotine, like Happy Brown Bogie, or Brown Pigtail, and I can get through a small bowl, with tons of flavor but very little feeling of unease. So they are good for certain situations, depending on the piper and preference of course.

As far a cobs go, I use the Medico filters in them but I cut them in half. This helps to slightly minimize the mega Big Gulp draw of a typical MM airway while giving me twice as many filters. I found that without the Medico filters I had a tendency to over pack my cobs in order to compensate for the open airway. Typically this would lead to me wasting tobacco or having to do a bit of pipe tool work to get all the tobacco smoked, and I don't like wasting tobacco.

The most important thing here is that you smoke what you like and the way you like it. That's all that matters.

I once admired a nifty artisan Savinelli, but it was stretching my budget (I'm frugal, not cheap:) and, since it was partially bent, I called the shop to ask if it would pass a cleaner. After a pause, they reported, "Well. no." Okay, not a deal breaker. I bought the pipe. And when it arrived I found it easily passed a cleaner --IF I first removed the balsa filter. That's a minus of leaving the filter in the pipe. But Drums and Beer above makes a good point about using half a filter to tone down the volume of a cob's draw. The Medico filter can pass a cleaner. Usually.

I appreciate all the feedback...

I've been trying to compare things like the same tobacco in my unfiltered pipe, vs my filtered pipes etc.
I've also cut the 6mm paper filters in half, vs full size, and smoked the filter pipe sans filter.

I think that I'm going to buck the trend and say that I like the filters so far. :face:

The biggest thing is just the moisture in the air where I live. On a high humidity day, my MM Ozark can soak a filter in one bowl, on a normal day, I can smoke 2 before it's soggy. The half filters were sopping after one bowl, since it was a high humidity day. (I'm not drooling, even if the tobacco tastes particularly good. )
I didn't care for the draw on my MM Ozarks when smoked without the filter, so if I weren't using a filter, I'd pick up one of those adapters to cut down the draw.

I haven't noticed a Taste difference yet. (maybe I will with more experience.) but I have noticed it reducing the moisture in the smoke that gets to my mouth. I have to be a lot more careful with my unfiltered pipes.

I have a few more things to try;
I have an estate pipe with a stinger that I'll try out when it's cleaned up enough to smoke...
I plan on getting some Savinelli balsa filters...
And I really want to eventually get a Peterson System pipe, and a Brigham, and see how their systems handle the Florida moisture.

I too live where the humidity is rather high and don't usually get soggy smokes per say just a little wet from time to time. Although if I don't slow down, puff too hard or fast it does lead to a nasty wet smoke. I don't know if this is what you may be doing sometimes but, experimenting with your cadence and how hard your drawing may make a difference and save you time and money on filters not to mention increase the pleasure and flavor of the smoke and, save your pipes from a costly burn out or over charring. ;)

That's good advice Cartaphilus. I am going to focus on my technique.

One thing is for sure, I have a lot of trial and error ahead of me, and I'm looking forward to all of it.

Cartaphilus":c8wmlrxl said:
I too live where the humidity is rather high and don't usually get soggy smokes per say just a little wet from time to time. Although if I don't slow down, puff too hard or fast it does lead to a nasty wet smoke. I don't know if this is what you may be doing sometimes but, experimenting with your cadence and how hard your drawing may make a difference and save you time and money on filters not to mention increase the pleasure and flavor of the smoke and, save your pipes from a costly burn out or over charring. ;)
THIS 100 % and remember, learn to SIP nice a SLOW with ANY type of 'baccy and your smoking life will be much, much better! :cheers:  Great clouds of smoke does not make for enjoyable smoking ! :twisted: :twisted: And PLEASE, DON'T get caught up in the re-lite thing !! Matches are cheap and use as many as required to maintain an enjoyable smoke !! :twisted: :twisted:

You might also experiment with drying out your tobacco when  humidity, temp and lack of air movement make smoking less than relaxing. I think you'll find that "too dry" is probably just about right. Drying plus slowing down the puffing and taking care with the packing could make a big difference, as Cart and Monbla said.  I live in Connecticut where winter is bitter and summer is stifling. Since my house is at the top of a hill and surrounded by trees, the diff in temp and humidity between home and the asphalt-covered valley below is surprising. On hot days in July-August, I have a comfy, shady smoker's haven back under the fir trees where there's almost always a cool, if slight breeze, and that's where I head with my pipe and tobak when the sun is high. One last thought -- True, no need to obsess about relights, but if it wants to go out, just let it ... no urgent puffing ... then let the works cool down prior to the relight. The shortest path to a bitter, bitey, wet smoke in hot weather is heavy puffing to keep it lit, and then relighting while it's still hot and wet.

So. The first time I smoked a bowl after learning how to pack it, instead of just dumping some in was like discovering something new.... Now, smoking as slow as possible, is another realm of discovery. I'm enjoying my tobacco even more, and getting better flavors.

Its not even something that I hadn't read before, but somehow in this discussion, it finally clicked. Sometimes I learn slowly. :)