Pipe knowledge

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipetongue1

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
Even' All, I just thought I would throw this out, How well do you know your pipes and tobac, what blends, types work with your rotation, and performance? I have a real good handle on mine, Lat., Vas., Va/per/ Burley other than burley I don't smoke aros., with the exception of G&H's Ken :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue:

:lol!: After all of these years I'm still experimenting and learning. I "think" I know my English blends and what pipes smoke them best but I'm a complete amature when it comes to straight Virginia or Virginia/Perique blends. Burley's I would say I'm somewhere between the English and Virginia's.

That's a difficult one for me to answer. It seems I've settled in to about 10 or so blends (mainly VAs and burleys) that I really enjoy smoking in 30 or so dedicated pipes. Those pairings have kept me from trying some blends I've really wanted to and breaking in some pipes I haven't smoked yet. When I stopped at JRs in Statesville on the way home from the Dr. Grabow factory tour, I didn't buy any new tobaccos..just stocked up on a few favorites. There's just not enough time in the day for me to experiment with new tobaccos and pipes. Right now I've got one shoe box of tins and one shoe box of pipes sitting behind me that I need to put up for sale or possibly trade.

Jim

Yea, what he said :lol!:

I'm still building a collection for rotation, experimenting with different blends, and far from cellaring tobacco. I have sort of a "system" for what I like so far that isn't real hard to remember.

I know I like english/balkan blends loaded with latakia and nicotene. They are my go to blends. Penzance, Plum Pudding, Bill Baileys Balkan Blend, and C&D Mississippi Mud. Those are my favorites. Mississippi Mud especially. I dedicate bent glossy apples to these. A rusticated briar calabash is on my wish list for this kind of sheat. Latakia is like sex. There is no such thing as bad latakia.

Blends heavy on orientals and laced with cigar leaf are another favorite. Robusto and Red Raparee in particular. I dedicate rusticated billards to these.

VaPers. Ahh yes. P&C Anniversary Kake and Marlin Flake. I dedicated a smooth matte finish bent apple to these.

Virginians. I like a bowl of Mc B VA#1 now and then. Pleasantly sweet with body. I dedicated a smooth matte finish billard to this.

Drug store burleys. Prince Albert and Carter Hall. I dedicated a Dr Grab to these. Mixture 79 gets a cob because I don't want to ghost anything with that stuff.

I've learned a few things about pipes and tobaccos, and about myself. I've learned that I like certain kinds of tobaccos in waves. I'll go on a burley jag, then drop that and smoke Va flakes for a while, then some oriental or English blends.... I tend to roll with a profile for a few weeks, get a hankering for something else and roll with that for a few weeks. I do have pipes dedicated to each of these styles of tobacco, so sometimes I won't smoke a favorite pipe for several weeks. I also have gone through and culled out enough pipes that do wonderfully with these styles of tobacco, so I know that I have just the right pipe even if I've been smoking nothing but Va flakes for a month. Have a reasonable rotation for the tobacco styles I smoke. Some rotations are heavier than others ( better than a dozen ginny pipes and only half as many English pipes) but that represents the frequency with which I smoke these styles, and so far I haven't come up short. I have about 35 pipes in rotation and can honestly say that for practicality sake, I don't need another pipe.

But we all know that that isn't enough to prevent PAD :lol:

Pretty easy for me since I'm 95% an English/Balkan/Oriental kind-of-guy! No VaPers, aromatics, burley, or cavendish blends for me! I do some straight Vas.; FVF, DH Light Flake, and Georgetown Tobacco's va. flake/s. But I don't have any "dedicated" pipes. All 135+ smoke just fine for me!!! :cheers: FTRPLT