Pipe Making Classes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjamin Button

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone was aware of any place that offers pipe making classes or courses, or even a pipe maker that is open to educating someone? I looked online but found very limited offerings. I don't mind traveling a reasonable distance if it is a worthwhile experience.

My next thought would be contacting Elliott Nachwalter or Andrew Marks in Vermont and seeing if they'd be willing to shine some light on a young impressionable mind. :D

I ordered my first kit today from American Smoking Pipe Company, so if anything I can start practicing.

Last time I checked out Pipeworks&Wilke, Carole had a whole bunch of Elliott's pipes for sale! Her comments included that he may not go back to pipemaking!! FTRPLT

EJinVA":re3cg19c said:
BB,
I've heard about folks taking this course:
http://www.jhlowe.com/news.htm
Go to this page of the site & scroll down to the next to last bullet.
Nice! Thanks! OH is not that far outta the way, and I know my way around there pretty well. I used to date a girl from OH so I was in Columbus all the time.

ftrplt":re3cg19c said:
Last time I checked out Pipeworks&Wilke, Carole had a whole bunch of Elliott's pipes for sale! Her comments included that he may not go back to pipemaking!! FTRPLT
Whoa...that's crazy. I wonder what may have spurred that.

There is a pipe making class at the Chicago show. Done on Wednesday & Thursday before the actual show starts. I have been toying with the idea of going sometime.

I took a three day course with Paul Hildebrand who owns Pipe Makers Emporium here in Arizona. IMHO it was well worth the money spent. I have also heard that Tim West does it but I have also heard good and bad from several people who have taken his class. I'm not sure it is as structured as Paul's but I think it is a one on one type of deal. When I took Paul's class there were three of us, which I thought was nice in the fact that we could compare work and techniques. It included a couple of blocks of nice briar, one for the class as he has you start from scratch and go through every step in creating and finishing a pipe (which includes staining and polishing) to fitting and shaping the stem. At the time he was giving a 10% discount for the following year on any pipe supplies and briar that you purchased at Pipe Makers Emporium. I don't know if he still does it or not.

Today I was reading through Lee VonErck's website update and noticed he has had a summer camp for beginning pipe makers. There's some info at the bottom of his home page Lee VonErck along with some of his past students listed on a separate page.

Jim

Great! Thanks for the link! I didn't realize that Bruce Weaver was a student of his. Bruce does amazing work. Thank you!

-Adam