Pipe making fly-by

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasquatch

Reaction score
I took a few pix as I went along on this one - just enough to kind of show the process that my 100 year old virgin-harvested fossilized petrified and in many other ways completely and unusually superior briar is.... wait, what was I talking about? Anyway, I made a pipe, you can follow along in your book.

Pick me out a great big-ass chunk of briar:

chrissax001.jpg

Cut 'er square, make some marks, transfer a design yadda yadda

chrissax002.jpg

Then it's over to the drill press and make the holes connect (if I'm lucky). Chamber is drilled, end of the shank is faced, mortise for the stem is drilled, then the airway. Usually. Around here anyway.

chrissax003.jpg

Once drilled, I take the stummel to the bandsaw and rough it out, and then in this case, mount to the lathe. Cheapo bugger I am I just glue it up, respectable pipe makers have frightening contraptions for holding whirling blocks.

chrissax004.jpg

more to come

Nothing ruined yet!

Next a rod of ebonite is drilled out, filed out, and very very roughly shaped. Popped onto the lathe, I cut the tenon fit the thing to the pipe. Finished edges of the pipe are protected by tape now.

chrissax005.jpg

And then a whole buncha shaping with a file and sandpapers, a run through the sandblaster and some finish work, it's a pipe.

I'll get some pix of the blasted stummel before I finish it next time. I forgotted this time.

chrissax006.jpg

Wait, didn't you ask me to break it in for you, Falconer??

It should be there in a day or two. Would not have been surprised had you got it yesterday.

Sasquatch":xh37uxs7 said:
Wait, didn't you ask me to break it in for you, Falconer??

It should be there in a day or two. Would not have been surprised had you got it yesterday.
Okay then! Well umm, carry on eh. :roll:

Outstanding work, Todd.

I have a slot it my rack waiting for it........can't wait!

A really really nice looking pipe! I like that the fingers match the pipes color, but you missed a few spots.............

Wow Sas, this is great, A pipe is born on bob, step by step, Great Idea, Great Pipe, Thanks for sharing!!

very cool. thanks for posting. now i know all your secrets...(i'm rubbing my hands together maniacally).

very cool, Sas. But you need a milling vise. It would make your life a lot easier when drilling. :lol:

Wayne_Teipen":h2bp09c6 said:
very cool, Sas. But you need a milling vise. It would make your life a lot easier when drilling. :lol:
That's funny, I heard ole Sas has lots of vices! :D

Wayne I need all sorts of stuff, but I don't like to rush pipes outta my shop like you do. :lol:

I've purchased tools in order of importance, and have lots of purchasing yet to do. I was lucky enough to have a lathe and a drill press in the first place, and I refuse to let inferior tooling be an excuse for inferior pipes. I could make inferior pipes on ANY tools, and I'll stand by that.

bruins":ity18cbq said:
very cool. thanks for posting. now i know all your secrets...(i'm rubbing my hands together maniacally).
Don't self combust Bruins!!! :lol!: :lol!:

Piet Binsbergen":0jdt09it said:
bruins":0jdt09it said:
Don't self combust Bruins!!! :lol!: :lol!:
i've done it before! :D