Pipe mud and a too deep chamber

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobJ

Reaction score
I have a Paradis (made in Montreal) 3/4 bent estate that has quite a gap between the bottom of the draft hole and the bottom of the chamber and will never build cake in the bottom of the bowl as is.

I've read this can be remedied by building up the bottom of the chamber with pipe mud to bring it up so it aligns properly with the draft hole. Other than this issue the pipe smokes great and is one of my favorites.

Has anyone here done this procedure? Is it semi permanent or should I expect to have to redo this from time to time? I know nothing about cigars but apparently quality cigar ash is needed so any recommendations on what cheapish cigars to get would be really helpful. The cigars would be just for this project otherwise I have no reason to buy cigars. :roll:

As I've never attempted to make pipe mud any tips, suggestions or guidance from my experienced Brothers is very much appreciated!

:D

RobJ":dhbhk96e said:
" .... Other than this issue the pipe smokes great and is one of my favorites."
:D
if this is the case, WHY do you feel you need to mess with it? Just load, light and smoke it !! :twisted:

Simple maintenance mostly. The pipe requires more frequent cleaning than most of my other pipes since tobacco and moisture collects in this little gap area and begins to smell, etc.

I don't expect the pipe will smoke any different of course after this little bit of work. I like to be able to smoke a bowl down to ash if I want which is not an option with this pipe presently. When I'm down as far as it allows I have to dig out the wet dottle left behind.

Thank you Brother Burley! I hadn't seen this one. I did try a few searches but didn't get any valuable hits. This thread should be very helpful.

BTW are you and Monbla still planning your little canoe trip to Cuba?

:lol!: :geek:  :bounce:

Any recommendations on relatively inexpensive cigars that fill the bill for pipe mud making ash?

I don't know anything about cigars so I want ones with no filler according to my research, and I expect White Owls from the corner store aren't a good choice.

RobJ":o8ll4ajm said:
Any recommendations on relatively inexpensive cigars that fill the bill for pipe mud making ash?

I don't know anything about cigars so I want ones with no filler according to my research, and I expect White Owls from the corner store aren't a good choice.
Just use your pipe ash and maybe a little well crushed cake you've reamed out.
Heck that's what cake is made of anyway.
Then just spit on it to make a slurry/mud and spread it on, then let dry.
I use spit because it has more of a bonding effect while water hasn't any.
You will have to be careful with your pipe tool so as not to dig the mud out
or wear it away. After a few smokes it'll be pretty hard but, I'd be careful anyway. ;)

Hey Ron, thanks for the advice. Unfortunately all my pipes have been freshly reamed (as needed) and cleaned so I have no cake to work with. On the pipe ash, it sounds like maybe that needs to be run through a screen small enough for just the small stuff to pass through?

RobJ":cmvm4mtk said:
Hey Ron, thanks for the advice. Unfortunately all my pipes have been freshly reamed (as needed) and cleaned so I have no cake to work with. On the pipe ash, it sounds like maybe that needs to be run through a screen small enough for just the small stuff to pass through?
Yes, if you have any unburned tobac in it, otherwise just crush it up so it's fine. You can use charcoal along with it if you haven't enough. It can be had at a pharmacy or health food store pretty cheap. Usually comes in capsules but, it can be had in uncapped powder form. Ya don't want to use Bar-B-Q briquettes cause most have lighter fluid in them nowadays and who knows what else. ;)  Mix it into a gooey mud with SPIT and apply. Too wet and it'll fall out when dry because of shrinkage, too dry and it won't stick properly. ;)

Funny stuff. Thanks again for the advice, I'll go with it!