Pipe Mud

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoker13

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Over the years I have heard references to this concoction as a cure to breaks in the cake of a pipe. Well, earlier in the summer I was lingering over a book while lingering a bit too long with my pipe when I started smelling the distinct aroma of burning wood. I instantly got out of my trance and dumped the remnants of my pipe and looked inside......Sure enough there was a dimple on the side of my bowl, hence the smell of burning wood. Although small, I didn't think this "burnout" could be repaired, but it did get me thinking of pipe mud. Coincidentally, I started smoking cigars this past summer and after this incident started saving the head-ashes in a couple of jars for future use. Now then, my question: How do you mix this magic potion and how does one apply it?

I just take an appropriate amount of cigar ash and drop water on it and stir until I get the consistancy I want. Then I use a flat
stirring stick to apply. After that, I use a finger to smooth out the mud around the inside of the bowl. Make sure you wash the
mud from your finger quickly or else it will dry there for good!