Pipe Pairings

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokeyTweed

Reaction score
I don't know about how many vices everyone has here but i must say I at least have two.

One would be smoking and the other drinking. Basically what i would like to know is if anyone has any particular alcohol pairings while they smoke.

Personally (on the weekend) i find a whiskey, be it Irish(Jamesons or Bushmills) when i can or a Canadian(Crown Royal or Tangle Ridge) if i'm letting loose, will enhance my smoking because it forces me to take more time and draw less often of course this is offset by me getting a bit tipsy and less discerning of my palette though. I don't mind the sacrifice however.

But youth is spoiled on the young I guess, so am i commiting a sin to drink while I smoke or should i just try another combination?

Your thoughts?

I think good whisky and a good pipe are a natural combination. I love a peaty Scotch with an English blend, or Maker's Mark with just about anything. All in moderation, of course.

(My mouth gets pretty dry when I smoke, and alcohol exacerbates that, so I do tend to take my whisky with a healthy touch of water when pairing.)

I keep trying to find the time to drink while i smoke, trying to capture the feeling of the good life! i drink pale ales with my vapers. though i am now experimenting with english.

The English style ales go surprisingly well i find.

If your ever in Ireland i suggest a burly with a pint of Guinness. I only recommend it in Ireland however because exported Guinness is too bitter to waste on good pipe tobacco.

SmokeyTweed":lmxv9bwz said:
The English style ales go surprisingly well i find.

If your ever in Ireland i suggest a burly with a pint of Guinness. I only recommend it in Ireland however because exported Guinness is too bitter to waste on good pipe tobacco.
Probably 99% of the time I drink whiskey. The brands very as I can't really get the one that I really like the most which is Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye. Lately I have been drinking either Old Crow or Charter. IMHO these are good whiskeys for the money. Ezra Brooks is another good one for the money but you can only buy it by the fifth. They all go very well with John Middleton Walnut which is the tobacco that I smoke 99% of the time.

I enjoy a good stout and do not care much at all for regular beers/ales. I too find that the imported Guinness is bitter and I don't like it very much. I prefer Mackeson's XXX Stout or Young's Luxury Chocolate Stout. Another very good one is Rogue Chocolate Stout. These stouts are a totally different experience than Guinness. Again, the above preferred stouts that I enjoy go very well with John Middleton Walnut.

For the morning pipe, I have a thick, oily cup of coffee from my own-roasted beans. The evenings will involve either a good single-malt scotch, old dark rum, an older Irish, an IPA or porter, or a dark Cab/Shiraz/Zin/Barbera-type vino. If I get the opportunity to have a pre-dinner pipe (sometimes happens!!), I typically have one of my signature Martinis!! FTRPLT

It's Rum thatl do r fer me, Arrr :gatewheel: . Specifically, Sailor Jerry's on ice thinned with a little fresh spring water bubbling out of the ground on me property(need to speak like Barbarossa from Pirates of the Caribbean).

I stock a wide variety of libations to compliment my tobacco. Dandelion wine, Makers Mark, hard cider, dark rum, mead, ginger
brandy, vodka, and several stouts and ales. Haven't found the key to matching the drink to the tobacco yet, but a stronger smoke needs a hearty drink to match,,,,likewise a light cav or light aromatic needs a light wine or beer. Recently whipped up a batch of switchel for old times sake and found it cleansed the pallate while smoking but needed a splash of dark rum to make it pop. It's all a mystery but it's an adventure.

I’ll second the Scotch and English pairings—they compliment each other perfectly. I also like an extra (nye! Let not even the light pass through the vermouth onto gin my gin) dessert wind dry martini with a heavy English.

My other love these days, with winter closing in, is Cognac, but it seems not able to get along with anything but itself.