Pipe question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arkansaspiper

Reaction score
Does anybody have a pipe that they are terrified to smoke and fear of messing it up I'm struggling back and forth with the want to smoke my Shark pipe that I won but at the same time I don't want to risk messing it up it is so beautiful I'm struggling with going back and forth to whether or not I should when I do smoke it I put a sock on my hand or at least a glove so that I don't mess up the beautiful white bleached Briar I'm just struggling and I would really like some feedback on what to do as it is probably worth more than my life

FWIW, my opinion is that pipes are for smoking. I mean sometimes you get one to celebrate 10 years at job X, and decide to wait until the anniversary date to actually fire it up. For the most part I claim if you have one you can't smoke, you should sell it to someone who will.

I say smoke it. I will have to go back and glare at the pictures to see this pipe.

I can completely understand your situation. I had a pipe that i just couldn’t bring myself to light up. Once I did it took me several blends to find what smoked decent in it. I eventually got rid of it because it was not a great smoker. It was a very good looking pipe.

Whether to smoke it or not, only you can really answer that. I would probably smoke it and use the gloves like you said to protect the finish.

That is a sweet looking pipe. I can understand why your struggling with the situation. I still say smoke it and enjoy it.

It's been a long time since I felt that. This type situation is why I've come to realize (about myself) that I almost always prefer used, imperfect goods. If I have to think twice about using something, I probably don't want or need it. I don't want to be responsible for that first scratch, stain, rip, etc. It's a burden in my opinion. I've mellowed quite a bit with the stress, but 99/100, give me an item that has already got its first wart.

That is a sweet pipe, buddy. You should enjoy it. I have some nicer looking pipes I don’t want to mess up too. I reserve those for times when I can relax in my big chair with clean hands lol. Maybe that would work for you. Sort of your after dinner pipe, or something.

I just smoke em, that is the reason I bought them after all. Now with that said, I don't really own any that would even bring up the question, most of mine were purchased used anyway and the few I did get new are really nothing above average.

Well this was a gift and I'm trying to not feel bad about it because technically I won it but at the same time I am a woodworker I know how many hours went into that pipe just like many of you that make pipes and or are Woodworkers you know how many hours going to it

I've had a Meerschaum for several years without smoking it..As far as I know I never will.

If you're taking a poll, my vote is to smoke the heck out of it. Smoke it like there's no tomorrow. Smoke it regularly, and smoke it often. (That's just my thoughts and my philosophy). I have some very nice pipes and they all get smoked regularly. If they don't, they find new homes. I've never been one to use gloves or baby pipes, though I personally like to only fill them 80% full to avoid a lot of rim char. That pipe will undoubtedly develop a lovely patina over time that will make it even more beautiful. Plus, most pipe makers I know are happy to see their pipes being loved and used.

Whatever you decide, I'm behind you. The choice is yours and yours alone. Just wanted to offer my philosophy and personal preferences.

BB

Hmm well mr. Ocelot doesn't make pipes to be looked at from what I understand he enjoys to see his pipe smoked and used that is my understanding that is the gentleman that made this pipe

Yah smoke it....

Don't clench or chew on it. Save that for cobs.
Use pipe cleaners after each smoke.

Smoke it! You won it!

I’ve got a “naked” pipe too. No finish on the bowl at all. I’ve smoked it...and the natural oils from my hand have gradually darkened the briar over the years. I look at it being kind of like the yellowing of a meerschaum bowl...a thing of beauty and graceful aging.

So a shift in perception is all you need. Shift from seeing changes to the shark’s bowl as being dirty and bad...to being a thing of beauty and a badge of honor.

Like the song says, “Don’t worry, be happy”.

While still catching on to the pipe experience I have several pipes I have not smoked. Then the five I use to learn with get the brunt of my mistakes. A Nording semi-churchwarden without a finish does get used and is taking on a nice patina. I'm sure the other pipes will get used at some point.

Arky, I made that pipe to smoke. If you screw it up, send it to me and I'll make it look like brand new. You've got a lifetime warranty!

I have two of Jesse's pipes, I smoke them regularly and they are a couple of the best I own.  

You will regret not smoking that one, or perhaps I should say that you're missing out on the pleasure it will bring to you.

Zeno Marx":3je7zol6 said:
It's been a long time since I felt that.  This type situation is why I've come to realize (about myself) that I almost always prefer used, imperfect goods.  If I have to think twice about using something, I probably don't want or need it.  I don't want to be responsible for that first scratch, stain, rip, etc.  It's a burden in my opinion.  I've mellowed quite a bit with the stress, but 99/100, give me an item that has already got its first wart.
...that so resonates with me!

Ocelot55":faqkjq6w said:
Arky, I made that pipe to smoke. If you screw it up, send it to me and I'll make it look like brand new. You've got a lifetime warranty!
Well, what are you waiting for Arky?! Smoke the damn thing!

(Fair play, Jesse. That's a heck of a warranty).