Pipe Rack Fallout Prevention...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skaukatt

Reaction score
I apologize if you have come across my post elsewhere, I realize many of us frequent the other forums available to us.

I would think this might be an odd question but perhaps some one else is or has wrestled with the issue that I now face.

I have commissioned a pipe rack maker to fabricate racks that will maximize the pipe storage space that exists in my pipe closet (an antique china closet with 3 shelves). He has done a wonderful job, affording me rack space to accommodate 224 pipes! (12 racks in all, 4 on each of the 3 shelves, the top shelf accommodating racks with 3 tiers holding 24 pipes each and the 2 lower shelves holding racks with 2 tiers that will accommodate 16 pipes per rack)

But I am faced with a bit of a dilemma. The upper shelves of the racks have open type slots for larger pipes to sit in. I fear that the pipes could have the tendency to slip out and fall from their heights in my closet.

Has any one solved the problem of securing their pipes in a rack and eliminating the possibility of them slipping out, falling on the floor and breaking? I have thought that possibly using so called, "fun-tac", a blue malleable clay-like substance that is used in lieu of thumb tacks for posting things on walls and not leaving holes. I fear that the small dollop may leave a residue on the pipes - I don't know for sure.

Does anyone have any idea of what I can do to secure the pipes in their racks so that an accidental fall can be avoided? I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks,

Lou, NY

How about a retaining bar to close the "U's"? Added permanently to the rack if they'll all still fit through the resulting holes, or a removable one (like a door bar resting in J-shaped hooks) if not.

The sticky stuff will definitely soak through a smooth finish into the briar beneath it.

It would be fairly simple for a woodworker to install wooden (or plexiglass) railings that are low enough to get your pipes in and out over, but high eough to keep them from slipping out and falling.

Some carpeting on likely impact spots might not hurt either :D

:face:

I've had an avalanche or two with my rack,it's horrifying picking them up to
see if any are damaged.
The solution I've thought of is to put a retainer on each slot exactly how they
retain pool cues.Next time I get around a cue rack I plan on noting how it's done,
I believe little rubber dodads like long pencil erasers on each side. :eek:

Winslow :sunny:

Sk,

Any chance of posting a photo of your racks? It may help in finding a workable solution for your exact situation.

I'd love to post some photos but pardon my ignorance on how to do so on this forum.

Any help would be appreciated...

Lou, NY