Pipe rack plans

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d4klutz

Reaction score
I am needing another pipe rack. I have 2 twelve slot pipe racks that are full, and need room for another 7 or 8. I was thinking of making my own as I have some cedar and pine laying about. Does anyone have any good designs or plans for a wall mounted rack? What features are a necessity, or highly valued for a wall mounted rack?

JP, I would say the most important part of a pipe rack would be the spacing between pipes. Too close and only little billiards will fit side by side and the larger pipes won't fit but too far apart uses too much material and just looks dumb and awkward. The 2nd is the spacing between levels, too close and only short pipes will fit, too far and tall ones will fit but, short ones will fall out. Even the manufactured ones haven't got the spacing correct for today's large and midsize pipes so taking the measurements from one will only give you a starting point. I haven't any set plans, I started out with some but, as I went a long they got changed and changed.
Oh, thickness of material, not too thin that it flexes like a bow but, not so thick it looks like a 2x4. Just enough to do the job without overdoing it will make it nice and light to hang and appealing to the eye at the same time.

If you want to designate a spot on a wall in your house for them, these racks that George Simenon, the Belgian author, used for much of his 300+ Dumhill pipes. with careful spacing measurements, one could have some made up to work for you. I have a woodworker friend who is going to make a 36 pipe rack like this for me next year.

FWIW, I just finished a rack for my collection. You can see the post https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t29853-new-diy-pipe-rack-cabinet.

I made 3 racks to fit inside a prefab cabinet measuring 16" x 20" (interior). Allowing 2" per pipe, I fit 8 pipe slots in each 16" rack. I used pine 1x2 and 1x3, one of each, 4 feet long, that I planed to roughly 1/2" thick. For the top (stem holder) piece, I drilled 7/8" holes 2 inches apart, starting 1" in from one end. Same spacing for the 1" depressions in the base plates. I drilled the depressions about 3/16" deep and added self-adhesive felt pads to the bottom of each to protect the pipes from scratches. All holes/depressions were centered front to back on their respective pieces. Top and bottom plates were spaced roughly 4.5" apart vertically. This gives me enough room to slip the pipe stem up through the upper plate without too much mucking around, though it's easier with straight stems than with bent.

If I had had more cabinet depth to work with, or was making a freestanding rack, I think I would have opted for a deeper baseplate, and positioned the pipe rest depressions further toward the forward edge to give the pipes more "lean", but the above specs worked for my application.

Hope this helps!

Cartaphilus":6dqf2rtz said:
JP, I would say the most important part of a pipe rack would be the spacing between pipes. Too close and only little billiards will fit side by side and the larger pipes won't fit but too far apart uses too much material and just looks dumb and awkward. The 2nd is the spacing between levels, too close and only short pipes will fit, too far and tall ones will fit but, short ones will fall out. Even the manufactured ones haven't got the spacing correct for today's large and midsize pipes so taking the measurements from one will only give you a starting point. I haven't any set plans, I started out with some but, as I went a long they got changed and changed.
Oh, thickness of material, not too thin that it flexes like a bow but, not so thick it looks like a 2x4. Just enough to do the job without overdoing it will make it nice and light to hang and appealing to the eye at the same time.
I second Ron's thoughts. It seems like the racks I have are spaced too close together. I sure hope you post a finished product pic. It might inspire me to get of my lazy butt this summer and make a rack. Good luck.

I haven't had time to build one yet. However, I should have some time in the next 3 months or so. I am putting a new wiring harness in my 1978 f100 this weekend, so the pipe rack is a bit delayed :)

Dottleman":4e8ruet2 said:
Cartaphilus":4e8ruet2 said:
I second Ron's thoughts. It seems like the racks I have are spaced too close together. I sure hope you post a finished product pic. It might inspire me to get of my lazy butt this summer and make a rack. Good luck.
Here's one I made a while back if it helps. The spindles in front are made of two stems end to end and the rear is just 1/4" dowel cut and stained to match, it's made from black walnut. Spacing still isn't perfect but, better then the manufactured ones.

Very nice Ron! I like the stems as part of the look! What did you use for those "stem catcher" flaps on the top row? Leather? It looks great!!!

Dottleman":2xqt8wy7 said:
Very nice Ron! I like the stems as part of the look! What did you use for those "stem catcher" flaps on the top row? Leather? It looks great!!!
Velcro sir, you can get it by the roll and cut it to length, one side of it's hook and the other loop. Works great for keeping unruly pipes in and makes them quick to remove.

Cartaphilus":rzaqmg0i said:
Dottleman":rzaqmg0i said:
Cartaphilus":rzaqmg0i said:
Here's one I made a while back if it helps. The spindles in front are made of two stems end to end and the rear is just 1/4" dowel cut and stained to match, it's made from black walnut. Spacing still isn't perfect but, better then the manufactured ones.

VERY NICE piece of work Ron !! I know you have quite alot of bent pipes so this one looks like it'll do ya just fine !! Are you going to hang it on a wall or will it sit on a horizontal surface ?

First off, JP I didn't mean to hijack your thread, just thought I'd give ya all some ideas as mine have work well for me.

Monbla, I've made 2 more of these and they've been hanging on my walls for sometime now.
Been rethinking and planning to encase all 10 racks with plexiglass and framed doors to protect them from dust, being I have way too many to be dusting and cleaning all the time.
Although these are much fuller then this now and many of the pipes in the 1st photo have been sold off here they are hanging. And the 2nd one pictured I twisted the stems that are used for spindles and the stem through holes have been drilled at about 45 degree angle to except the bent stems easier.

Cartaphilus":oydj6ojj said:
Here's one I made a while back if it helps.
It helps me a lot.  There are some great ideas there Cartaphilus.  I plan to shamelessly steal some of them for a rack I'm planning.  One question, however:  How do you make the oval indentations on the bottom?

fishfly":1z00n85k said:
Cartaphilus":1z00n85k said:
Here's one I made a while back if it helps.
It helps me a lot.  There are some great ideas there Cartaphilus.  I plan to shamelessly steal some of them for a rack I'm planning.  One question, however:  How do you make the oval indentations on the bottom?
Hey, if you can make one better go for it.......then I can steal some ideas from you.
I used a bowl bit with a bearing in a router but, I had to make a template/guide so to keep everything symmetrical and in line. Just a warning, it takes longer to make the template then it does to router them all out. I used stems because there are NO spindles pre-made this size and for me to make them on a lathe was just too much work. The stems I bought for I think about $1.75 ea. I reckon you can use dowel rod instead but, it makes it look pretty plain Jane if ya know what I mean.

copy_o10.jpg

Now that's what I call a proper manly pipe rack Ron! Very impressive.

And it follows the overall style of the one I got from you a while back, which has pride of place in my living room. I almost have all the slots filled up too although there are not quite as many! :lol:

Cheers,

RR

RDP, do you have plans for this that you would be willing to post or to email privately? Thanks much for the pics!
Scott

RDP, do you have plans for this that you would be willing to post or to email privately? Thanks much for the pics!
Scott
Sorry sir, when I quit making pipes in Feb 2022 I quit smoking also and got rid of everything to do with it.