Pipe rack rant

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idlefellow

Reaction score
OK; I like big pipes.  I don't think they're ungodly huge, but I like a nice, hand-filling briar.  I still have a few smaller pipes from my younger days, but the majority of my accumulation (I hesitate to call it a "collection") is made up of pipes that take a goodly charge of tobacco, and that have some wood around the load.  And therein lies the rub:  I have a couple of nice vintage Decatur racks, but damn*d if I can arrange the pipes so they don't bang into each other!  I try to alternate "skinner" pipes with larger, but in truth, they're mostly all larger.  Pulling one out without bringing one or more of its neighbors along is a major undertaking.  I mean, geez: some of these shapes have been around for a long time; it ain't like I created a whole new genre of Jurassic Pipes or anything :evil: !  I'm too old (and too cheap) to invest in a bunch of custom made racks, so I'll just struggle long with my old standbys.  But I ain't liking it...

bdNIJJXh.jpg

Did you ever think of standing some of these upside down in that rack. Like every other one?

That would certainly relieve some of the crowding and not require the acquisition of another rack.

:?:

Nice collection, btw!

:bom:

Cheers,

RR

Hmmm...no, I hadn't thought of it.  Interesting suggestion.  I remember reading Georges Herment's The Pipe many years ago (I just pulled my edition from the shelf; it's dated 1954 but I was but seven at the time; must have read it sometime later :D ),  He espoused storing pipes mouthpiece down; in fact, he even shows hanging them by the bowl on a nail drive into the wall!  I'm not sure I'm ready to go there, but the alternate idea may have some merit.  Thanks for the suggestions; I'll look into it.

Looks like a clone of a Decatur I have. Those old racks were from a different era and made for much smaller pipes. I prefer a silhouette style rack, both for appearance and the fact that you can get larger pipes in it without much trouble or crowding. But no conventional pipe rack that I know of will fit all pipes, so you're kind of screwed no matter what you do. You're lucky to get those pipes together on the same rack; my attempts with mine have failed, and I have to leave gaps. I have several of those "lawyer" book cases--you know, with the glass doors and a drawer underneath? The temptation is strong to just throw my pipes into one or two of those drawers, throw my racks and rests into a fire, and call it good.

The alternate idea won't work beyond the top row due to the rack's design.  I expect I'll just continue to muddle along with what I've got, and continue to b!tch about it :D .

PS: you know, what I'd really like to find are some of those rubber clips for mounting a pipe silhouette style.  They wouldn't solve all my problems but I do have a place I'd like to use some.  Have looked but been unable to locate them.  The closest I've come are the clips used for cue sticks, but I haven't tried them to see if they'd work; I'd prefer ones actually intended for the desired purpose.

Idlefellow":pvto3uml said:
The alternate idea won't work beyond the top row due to the rack's design.  I expect I'll just continue to muddle along with what I've got, and continue to b!tch about it :D .

P: you know, what I'd really like to find are some of those rubber clips for mounting a pipe silhouette style.  They wouldn't solve all my problems but I do have a place I'd like to use some.  Have looked but been unable to locate them.  The closest I've come are the clips used for cue sticks, but I haven't tried them to see if they'd work; I'd prefer ones actually intended for the desired purpose.
There is an older thread where someone posted about those clips. Seems they were very inexpensive, prolly from amazon. I'll see if I can dig it up.

<<edit>>

Found it-

http://brothersofbriar.forumotion.com/t31752-quick-easy-pipe-display-rack

Cheers,

RR

Check out round racks. They spread out a bit more. P&C had some low priced one (Wood ware? can't recall the name), but I no longer see them on the site. The Decatur round one is nice looking, but I wish they would eliminate the jar in the middle.

I ordered one from Dan tobacco years ago that held eight. Sweetly done. No idea if they still carry any.

Let us know if you find anything good.

Hmmm... nail on the wall....

I posted this a while ago. Here's hoping it makes sense. You can get fancy or keep it simple.
Basically, this is a rack that will hold the pipes in such a way that they stick out at you - like you are speaking to someone clenching a pipe in their teeth. Where these really shine is with odd shaped pipes and deeply bent pipes. I first did this because of some meers that didn't work in conventional racks.

Two boards, about a foot long, about five point something inches wide, and 3/4 inches thick. Standard 1 x 6 for practice. Glue them into a "L" along the long edge. Lay it on its side. so that is is 12 inches side to side. You now have an assembly that is about 6 inches high, about 6 1/15 deep and twelve inches wide. (Or 6.5 high and 6 deep depending on how you glue it up)

In the vertical piece, cut a slot about 3/8 inch wide. Yes, all the way through - this is where the bit will go to hold your pipes. Leave about an inch at each end.

To make the slot: If you have a mortiser, this will be very easy. A router might work as well. I used a table saw. Otherwise, to make the slot, rip about an inch off the top. Hog out the waste area of the slot, with a saw blade (a dado blade is faster) and then glue the ripped piece back in place.

(If you have a mortiser, you can arrange individual slots any way you want. I don't have one.)

Sand and finish. Nothing fancy when done basically, but have some fun with variations. Play with the dimensions. The slot may need to be widened. Thinner stock will need narrower slots. Three of my pipes don't fit because the stems get thick too quickly. (Savinelli 320KS) Make the slot higher or lower to suit your needs.

Slide the pipe bit through so that when you release the pipe the button grips the back of the board. You can give a light tug to be sure.

One foot wide will hold five pipes nicely. Longer is absolutely possible. However, when going longer, leave a gluing point in the middle (or otherwise symmetrical) to prevent any possible flex when the pipes are in place. Wood sometimes refuses to cooperate.

I allowed IIRC about 2.5 inches per pipe. That does not crowd them. Most commercial racks are made (in my opinion) for tiny pipes - way too close together.

Basic boards, with just boiled linseed oil is easy to do. Get as fancy or simple as you like with finish.

Corncobcon":p4ugzzaa said:
Ya mean like this?...

I might have just stumbled onto something!!! :scratch:
Hey, there ya go Con! Why not something as simple as a pool cue holder!

And idlefellow, it seems to me there was one other thread that referenced these. It initially listed something that was viewed to be rather on the expensive side, and then one poster chimed in with another source that was very inexpensive and equally as good. Perhaps it was the pool cue clips Con showed above.

I'll keep trying to dig that thread up.

Cheers,

RR

Randy...good find on the “pipe clips” things. Excellent.

BTW: what we got here is a guy with a fleet of Big Ol’ Trucks trying to park them in garages designed for VWBugs. Proof that size DOES matter. The only problem I see comes from thinking you can MAKE it work.  lol

Smoke smaller pipes, they make your 'baccy last longer as well as fit your racks ! :twisted: :twisted: