Pipe Reaction

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's definitely an "I go day by day" situation for me. Today? Sure, why the hell not!? I think it's cool.

Lame. It looks like someone wants their pipe to match the after market chrome battery cover on their Harley. Smoke what you like though. The more of you that go out and buy crap like this, the less competition I have on eBay. I'm all for it.

Well, first, I didn't buy it. I stumbled across it for sale in Denmark at the danish pipe shop website. The carver is an American Marc Balkovec http://www.balkovec.com/

I actually like a lot of this stuff. Not sure this would be on my preferred list of stuff he has that I would buy, but he has a lot of nice pipes. Apparently he is the first yankee to have his pipes sold on their website.

I expected your reaction Zeno. You seem to be part of the old fart pipe smoking guard (the "OFPSG")

Looks decent, if everyone had the same appreciation for art the world be a boring place, and no one would have ever heard of Andy Warhol

If you have time, troll through the pipe gallery on his website. Some really innovative "outside the box" designs here.

peckinpahhombre":rjomtinm said:
I expected your reaction Zeno. You seem to be part of the old fart pipe smoking guard (the "OFPSG").
If you don't mind, I think I'll take that as a compliment coming from someone who is buying a new pipe every two days. Our perspectives are likely to be diametrically opposed. I do agree that normally this carver does make nice looking pipes, though.

It reminds me of that whole retro lifestyle of horrible pinup tattoos, speckled tabletops with red metallic vinyl matching chairs, rockabilly, Bettie Page/Rosie the Riveter fashion style, etc. Mind you, any of this lifestyle isolated is kind of cool (not including the tattoos, because those tattoos are always gaudy and ugly as fuck), but all together on one person or under one roof, it's about as ugly as it gets.

Objectively I wouldn't say it was pretty, but its got a lot of style. That particular style wouldn't suit me, but I like that there are such variations in pipes, and I'd respect anyone who decided it was the pipe for them. Unusual pipes are definitely cool in their own way.

[/quote]If you don't mind, I think I'll take that as a compliment coming from someone who is buying a new pipe every two days. Our perspectives are likely to be diametrically opposed.[/quote]

Oh, I can assure you we are absolutely nothing alike. And I know that, because you haven't bought a pipe since 1967, you are a hero. People should sing folk songs about you. In fact, I am working on one as we speak.

In any event, I thought it was an interesting carver that so far was completely off my radar screen

30294516.jpg

I really like it. Having done some serious dabbling in pipe making I think the pipe itself is very well done. The bit is expertly cut, the shaping is spot on, the metal work is something you don't see everyday. The flames just add a contemporary edge to a well crafted pipe.

peckinpahhombre":o7dp6pgy said:
Ok, I want to get your visceral reaction on this. Truthfully, what do you think of this pipe?
I'm not sure if you can handle the truth... 8)

I don't really like the pipe, a bit to loud, but i like the fact that there's makers out there that are willing to step outside the box. Somebody's gonna go batshit crazy for that thing & got to have it & I'd sit & share a bowl with the guy forsure.
Probly be an interesting smoke.

Reeeeowr! Hiss! Hiss! :lol: Hey, opinion wanted, opinion given. Stop being dipsh*ts, kids. Or don't, it's kind of funny. Zeno, go molotov a Wal Mart with Black Bloc, peckin' go hit up a hockey match or something (sorry brother, had nothin' on a whim besides locale). You'll both feel better.

The pipe? Ain't my style. Fortunately it doesn't stir up hatred of the neo-greasers who beat me up at school and fueled my nerdrage. No, that'd be a cowboy hat pipe, and it'd be fruitrage. :lol:

I know PB will think it's cool, though. I talked smack about some biker-flame-job pipe a while back and he loved it.

Keep buying pipes, peckin'. I sure can't, I live vicariously.

8)

What a fascinating idea, not so sure on its length, but then I have been put in my place about short pipes by a dear friend (Mac), can't say as I would make purchase but it is a most interesting design for sure.