Pipe Repair (and Perhaps Identification, too?)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 5381

Reaction score
I'm sure this question gets asked often, but it seems some recommended businesses I've looked into have closed. So I'm asking here.

My lovely wife got me a rotating pipe stand off Ebay. It's an antique and in great shape. At any rate, there were several old pipes that came with it. They are in various stages of disrepair and in need of a DEEP clean. The state of these pipes is beyond my abilities, so I'm looking for a trusted, reasonable pipe repair/restoration business to which I may send them.

The pipes in need include (all of them vintage) two Dr. Grabows (a smooth Regal and possibly a smooth Savoy; the latter is not marked other than "Dr. Grabow Imported Briar"), one El Morjane (unclear but might say "72" on the bottom), one Basso, and two no-names that seem to be good quality. One of the no-names says "sterling."

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I'll post pictures of them, too. Bear with me, I'm tech-challenged.

1670432369681.png

1670432610659.png

This is a no-name, as far as I can tell. It does say "sterling" on the metal band (indicating material perhaps?).

Those screw in shanks are brutal. I picked up a shoe-box lot that had a bunch like this. I reamed out what I could and got my polish on for the stems that were worth it. Out of the lot of 20, I got 2 good smokers.

I am not a pipe snob by any means, but some of these old drug store brand pipes aren’t worth it unless you want a beater pipe for your tackle box

Personal opinion is that the expense of getting these pipes fixed up would outweigh the expense of replacing them with ready to smoke estate pipes. (I’m a math brain: if someone charged you $20 a pipe for cleaning and polish, would you rather have a brand new pipe or 2 ready to smoke “name brand” estate pipes for the same price… or 10 cobs direct from Missouri meerschaum)

I am not a pipe snob by any means, but some of these old drug store brand pipes aren’t worth it unless you want a beater pipe for your tackle box…. But again, I’d still rather have a cob for that

Those screw in shanks are brutal. I picked up a shoe-box lot that had a bunch like this. I reamed out what I could and got my polish on for the stems that were worth it. Out of the lot of 20, I got 2 good smokers.

I am not a pipe snob by any means, but some of these old drug store brand pipes aren’t worth it unless you want a beater pipe for your tackle box

Personal opinion is that the expense of getting these pipes fixed up would outweigh the expense of replacing them with ready to smoke estate pipes. (I’m a math brain: if someone charged you $20 a pipe for cleaning and polish, would you rather have a brand new pipe or 2 ready to smoke “name brand” estate pipes for the same price… or 10 cobs direct from Missouri meerschaum)

I am not a pipe snob by any means, but some of these old drug store brand pipes aren’t worth it unless you want a beater pipe for your tackle box…. But again, I’d still rather have a cob for that
This is insightful, thank you. I'm no pipe snob either. The nicest pipe I own in working order is around $50 new. I know some of these aren't lucrative to refurbish, but I also want to give them a chance. Let me ask you (and anyone else) this: if I shelf the cheaper ones to try my hand at later (spending little to no money on them by doing it all myself after learning), which ones are more worth sending off to be refurbished?

Read the pipe refurbishing articles on Reborn pipes rebornpipes. I read them for awhile before attempting anything. After a year or two you'll be refurbishing $300.00 pipes :)

You will have most items you need already. Ordering more pipe cleaners is a prime opportunity to obtain some tobacco on your wish list. Get the micro-mesh sanding pads on ebay and Everclear is your friend.