PIPE SCHOOL!!! with Grant Batson

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the rev

Reaction score
yeah, was awesome.  Grant picked me up at 6:30, we got some coffee, got to know each other a bit, talked about he course and then were in the studio at 8.  We worked our asses off til 6 taking only a 15 minute lunch break at 2.  I got to meet his wonderful family, three daughters and a son, and his wife.  At six we cleaned up really quick and then went to Stogies smoke shop.  Got some beer, smoked some pipes, pizza was brought over from the shop next door, very nice.  The company was great too, Bruce Weaver, Adam Remington, Joe Case, Steve Morrisette and a couple of Grant's friends Chris and Trace (of thunderbird wings).

Was so much fun.  Steve had one of his own pipes that was one of the finest pipes I have ever seen.  It was flawless.  He also had a tokutomi that blew my mind, man that guy can make a pipe.

The next day we were in the shop at seven and worked straight through til seven with a break for lunch again about 15 minutes.  I learned so much.  Drilling after shaping was cool, shaping with a much more aggressive wheel was scary as hell, learning how to make stems with much more precision, everything I could have wanted.

Grant invited me to stay with his family for dinner so we had tacos on the back porch with lightening bugs all around, and wonderful conversation.

The next day back at it nice and early again, we were hauling ass.  We took lunch at 2 when Trace brought over his new ghost chili wings. They made me cry for joy, and the next day too :)

We had a little time at the end of the day for us to do whatever I wanted, so I had Grant shape a blowfish while I watched.  Man, this guy is good.  I will be going back.  If anybody wants to get a short, concise pipe making class, hit Grant up.  He worked really hard to put together a notebook with pictures to make sure I could remember everything we covered, and then asked me to help him dial it in so the next one is even better.

The whole family went out and had sushi with me Saturday night, after celebrating with a Stone ruination ale, and some Rocky Patel's

I made some pipes, but I made some life long friends as well

rev

PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES!!!

Seriously, rev, that is the coolest thing ever. SOOOOOO jealous.

That's awesome! I can't wait to see some pics. Also it probably gave you a whole new appreciation for the full time pipe maker and the difference between hobbyist and career pipe makers. I know one thing for sure, we will never stop learning from these great artist as well as the new ones I'm sure.

Boulder&Briar":bjuqdsvz said:
That's awesome! I can't wait to see some pics. Also it probably gave you a whole new appreciation for the full time pipe maker and the difference between hobbyist and career pipe makers. I know one thing for sure, we will never stop learning from these great artist as well as the new ones I'm sure.
I do not think those definitions are as clear as all that. Tyler Lane is one of the best pipe makers in the US if not the world and he makes pipes in his non working hours.

But I think I am a lot like Grant in the sense that if I get the opportunity to make pipes for a living I will get in and work my ass off all day. I do that now with my Wednesday and Saturday pipe making. The thing that I really was able to appreciate is the repetition and muscle memory that comes from doing it day in and day out. And also the way in which his shop is both set up and maintained. That is something I need to get much better at, I am a bit of a messy pig beast.

rev

Sounds like a good time. I bet you learned a ton. Nothing like watching someone create art right in front of you. I'm glad you had such a great time. I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures.

the rev":0jtdx13m said:
They made me cry for joy, and the next day too :)
I chuckled.

Thanks for the quick write up. Glad you got to experience pipe school, rev.

just realized I didn't take or have many pictures of myself, so asked Grant to send me some.  Here are a few of the week.

shaped stummel ready for drilling

Steve Morisette, me, Joe Case, Grant, Adam Remington

Grant showing me how he does a stem

more to come

rev

Thanks for sharing your experiences and the photos. Those memories will last a lifetime. 
Grant is a master with wood, his guitars are works of art and incredible instruments as are his pipes.
:cheers::cheers:

docwatson":mn2t0vt1 said:
Thanks for sharing your experiences and the photos. Those memories will last a lifetime. 
Grant is a master with wood, his guitars are works of art and incredible instruments as are his pipes.
:cheers::cheers:
yeah got to play one of his guitars too, it sounded only much worse than his 13 year old :) He is a very good guitar player himself. Those guitars are amazing

rev

Thanks again for all the encouragment and support, it is meaningful

rev

I'm so happy for you Rev. It looks like you had great time. I can't wait to see how this impacts your future work!

Jim