pipe seasoning

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolson

Reaction score
I am too new to smoking to know about mixing tobac types in the same pipe. I now own 6 pipes and am curious about "dedicating" pipes to specific tobacco? Should I avoid mixing it up or is it safe to use multi tobacco in the same pipe? :?:

Smoking different tobaccos in a pipe is fine as long as they are the same types of tobaccos. If you smoke an English blend in a pipe, it's best to always smoke English blends in that pipe. Virginias with Virginias, etc. That way the flavor doesn't conflict with the residuals of your last blend.

So lets say that you have a pipe that has kinda been the town bicycle when it comes to tobak. Anyway to get er at least somewhat back to a fresh start?

It depends on who all's ridden it.

Pipes full of Lakeland shampoo or aromatic residue will not give up the ghosts that haunt them without professional treatment. (Yes,Virginia, there are do-it-yourself methods. And you can ruin your pipe).

Burley, English and what little carryover there is from most Virginia will all fade away with time and a new diet.

:face:

What you need to do is smoke Middleton's Walnut exclusively in all of your pipes for four years straight and then you will be guaranteed a satisfying flavor no matter what you smoke! :D :D :D

That, Oddball, is where all this usually leads!!!!!! One pipe, one tobacco......years later, scads of pipes and a cellar of tobacco!! Heh, heh, heh!!! Enjoy the ride!! FTRPLT

" I think I need more Pipes"

Strap on your safety belt Oddball, you're getting ready to start down a VERY slippery slope.

oh jeez.......another one! :no: welcome to the onset of tad and pad!! Tobacco acquisition disorder and pipe acquisition disorder a rare and heartrending disorder!! read j.m. barrie's MY LADY NICOTINE for a small history lesson on this best of maladies to contract!!!!! :face: :face: :face: :lol!: :lol!:

No !!!

there's no right or wrong... just how fussy you are.

I'll often smoke a va or aromatic in a dedicated latakia pipe with good results for me.

Some of us like to refine this as a science, but I suspect most like to puff away and enjoy in whatever pipe :p .

:D Paul

Oddball":uabwjvc2 said:
So lets say that you have a pipe that has kinda been the town bicycle when it comes to tobak. Anyway to get er at least somewhat back to a fresh start?
Like many of us, I started out smoking mostly aromatics in a half-dozen briars (with a few English and American English blends mixed in). I've since converted all but one of those briars into Va, burley or English pipes and they have ZERO ghosts left in them. This really wasn't all that hard to do. First, ream the bowl's cake down to the width of a dime. Second, fill the bowl with Bacardi 151 and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Next, pour out the rum, blot dry with a paper towel, and then ream again until you have only a thin layer of cake left. Now, let the pipe sit for 2-3 days. Last, smoke 6 to 12 bowls of either Prince Albert or Carter Hall in it and then switch over to whatever type of blend you want to use the pipe for (basically, "re"-break in the pipe with burley and then season it with your preferred type/blend). This might sound like a weird process, but it works for me -- some of the pipes I now use exclusively for Va/Pers were used for years to smoke HEAVY aromatics like Cades Cove Cavendish and Capt. Black. My dad taught it to me, and I think the key ingredient is the rum, as tobacco/oil dissolves easily in alcohol.

Bolson;

I agree with what has been said so far. Here is a tweak. I like to dedicate a pipe to a type & strength of tobacco. So one for light & golden Virginias (like Light Flake), one for red VA and VaPers (like 5100 & Hall O' The Wynd) , one for mild latakia blends (like Kensington) and one for heavy latakia blends (like Penzance).

I do have a couple of pipes dedicated to just one blend such as Renaissance. By doing so, you will get the very most taste possible for that one blend. But I reserve that for only a very special tobacco. Otherwise, it seems excessive.

I also break in a pipe with VAs. If the pipe smokes VA well, then I stay with VAs. If not, I smoke latakia blends in it. It's harder to go back the other way.

OddBall;

Do some research on the salt & alcohol treatment for freshening up a pipe. You'll have to go to another forum for now. It has worked well for me. I bought an estate pipe that had been smoked with aromatics. I did 2 treatments on it and still had some ghosts for awhile, but I eventually covered it up by smoking it.

Oddball;

I found a salt & alcohol article and posted in Ye Olde Pipe Rack under "The Professor's Pipe-Sweetening Treatment"

Thanx for the post. Gonna take a pipe out of rotation and see how it works