Pipe sightings in a movie on TMC

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

A 15 year old Jane Powell singing and acting just beautifully in a 1946 MGM musical comedy set in Mexico City. Her father, Walter Pidgeon, smokes an oompaul and a billiard. Pianist Jose Iturbi smokes a billiard and a lovat, and young Roddy McDowell smokes a meerschaum billiard he gets for a birthday present. The pipes fit seamlessly in the story.

Great photography, too of Iturbi's piano insides in action, an unusually shaped piano, Xavier Cougat's orchestra and dancers. Beautiful clothes and costumes worn by all. The music was superb--Cougat, Iturbi, Powell. Great acting by all.

Amusing and touching story of teenage crushes and father-daughter affection with a renewed adult romance thrown in. Lots of laughs, even by Iturbi and Cougat with his tiny Mexican dog. No great meaning in this film, just good entertainment with comedy and music. Amazing acting by the 15 year old powell. I think the title was something like Holiday in Mexico. Of course, they don't make them like this anymore. Music ranged from Latin to classical to the Ave Maria finale.

Glenn Ford, in a little known movie, Gallant Journey, about the first man to fly in a controlled flight, 1883, 20 years before the Wright brothers, smokes a pipe while working on his plane. Ford had a large pipe collection in real life. A Canadian naturalized as a USA citizen, he was the only member of the Hollywood community to serve on active duty in the Viet Nam War; he was a naval officer.

It really is interesting to see how many folks smoke pipes in those old movies.

In the movie "The Great Debaters" Dinzel Washington is smoking what looks like a Dr. Grabow Omega.

In "Godfather Part 2" one of the senators is smoking a pretty nice billiard.

godfather2senatecommittee1.JPG

Gettysburgh: plenty of pipe smoking in the beginning, with very beautiful pipes ( or , at least, that's the way I remeber it).
A great war movie, but the image of the different pipes is my first mental association with that movie.
I think I have to watch it again.

A very good movie indeed Kea.

Do you have an interest in the American Civil War there in Scotland?

Yes, I used to play 15mm ( metal figures) ACW wargames ( with different game systems), and I always have time to learn more about it ( books, movies, documentaries, etc.).

Cheers

Justpipes":rk1vtdlr said:
A very good movie indeed Kea.

Do you have an interest in the American Civil War there in Scotland?

Kea":e1mgqhff said:
Yes, I used to play 15mm ( metal figures) ACW wargames ( with different game systems), and I always have time to learn more about it ( books, movies, documentaries, etc.).

Cheers
That is interesting! I guess I don't think of someone outside of the States having an interest in our Civil War.