pipe sightings in pop culture

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
puros_bran":pze7r86m said:
Ozark Wizard":pze7r86m said:
Pop culture you say?

Any of the Lord of the Rings/ Hobbit movies.....

Pretty poppy now, for sure, though I often wonder what exactly they are smoking in those wizard pipes........

Well, I don't wonder too much......
Considering Tolkien was a pipe smoker and a devout Catholic, I'm pretty sure the Wee fellows pipes were filled with something akin a good burley.
POIT! taken.......

ZOIT

NARF!!

Dutch":tn1rfh7i said:
The pipe has caused many to contemplate entering politics and the movie industry.....

There's 500, 000 pics on the Internet give or take where he looks like The Beast incarnate, this isn't one of them.

puros_bran":j0suxboy said:
Dutch":j0suxboy said:
The pipe has caused many to contemplate entering politics and the movie industry.....

There's 500, 000 pics on the Internet give or take where he looks like The Beast incarnate, this isn't one of them.
This was probably taken between 75 and 80 when he was off the juice and starting to socialize with the Kennedy clan. Ted is probably sitting right across the table, out of view of the camera on this shot. :lol:

This new Ron Howard flick SHOULD have some references to pipe smoking, but I don't see any in the preview.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/K-H35Mpj4uk" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Pipe smokers and the odd pipe shop are all over the place in the original Curious George books by H.A. Rey.

Rey himself was an inveterate pipe smoker so I guess he liked to put a bit of himself in those books. Having a 4 year old son at home I have an omnibus of the original works that I read to him a lot. As I read them to him I play my own version of "Where's Waldo?" but it is "Where is the pipesmoker?". Among the illustrations featuring sailors, policemen, zoo-keepers and other sorts that George encounters there is always one of them with a pipe. Not only that, the shapes range from bents to straights with varying bowl shapes. Clearly his wife, the illustrator, was familiar with his pipe collection.

One of my favorite lines in the first book: "After a good meal and a good pipe, George enjoyed a nice sleep."

Don't we all.

Pipes are a feature in my favorite comic...
rm-2015-11-03.png

http://www.redmeat.com/max-cannon/FreshMeat

Don't know how to link it but in a Washington Times article on my Kindle that came out regarding Fred Thompson's death the first picture was him smoking a pipe.  The pic looked like it was from the 70's around the time he made his name in Watergate.

CS0Bq8cWsAEXipp.jpg

Here's my contribution.  This is from my favourite comic, Eagle which featured Dan Dare Pilot of the Future.  It was very popular here in Blighty from 1950 - 67.  It was re-released in the mid 80s which, apart from my dad's stories of him reading the originals, was my only exposure to this 'paper for boys'.  Pictured is Dan Dare himself, probably drawn by Frank Hampson the genius who illustrated most of the original series.  Anyway, nice billiard Dan.

I have one a few years more recent. I don't watch the show personally, so I'm not sure if it's pop culture or not.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jwdI6dKtd34" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Jevverrett":sw0jtszt said:
I have one a few years more recent. I don't watch the show personally, so I'm not sure if it's pop culture or not.
Top Gear! Probably the most successful show on the planet. Very entertaining if you're into that sort of thing. Clarkson is a bit of a bounder though and was thrown off the show by the BBC earlier this year.

Stick":rnhn4i8y said:
Jevverrett":rnhn4i8y said:
Top Gear! Probably the most successful show on the planet. Very entertaining if you're into that sort of thing. Clarkson is a bit of a bounder though and was thrown off the show by the BBC earlier this year.
But Jeremy, Richard, and James are making a new show to be available on Amazon. I can't wait!

Back on topic,

One of the main characters in the BBC show "Peaky Blinders" (it's on Netflix) smokes a pipe. Also, in the movie the Explendables, Mikey Rorke's character smokes a pipe as well.

I know there are a couple more that I have seen recently, but I can't think of them right now.

Ellen Page got pregnant AND smoked a pipe in Juno, which proves she's a very versatile actress.....

beardedbassguy":dlk9ovsr said:
Stick":dlk9ovsr said:
Jevverrett":dlk9ovsr said:
But Jeremy, Richard, and James are making a new show to be available on Amazon. I can't wait!

Back on topic,

One of the main characters in the BBC show "Peaky Blinders" (it's on Netflix) smokes a pipe. Also, in the movie the Explendables, Mikey Rorke's character smokes a pipe as well.

I know there are a couple more that I have seen recently, but I can't think of them right now.
I didn't like guy in peaky blinders. And everybody smoked pipes back then, surprisingly few in the show though imho

Craig Ferguson also promoted pipe smoking for several years on the Late Late Show.....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EhyitXQYKf0" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

puros_bran":cbkk7smj said:
What about ole what's his name on that one show...

free photo upload
Oh yeah! That's what lead to me getting a cherrywood. And the whole devil anse hatfield ordeal. Try getting one of those pipes without ending up living in a cardboard box lol