Pipe smoking in Seoul

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psmith

Reaction score
For the last few days I have been in Seoul attending a Google Education Summit. Where I live is actually 3 hours away on the East coast in a mountain/coastal town called Sokcho. As far as I know there is only 3 pipe smokers there...me, myself and I. Although I have been smoking a pipe now for about 5 years I have never had the experience of smoking with a fellow piper. My enjoyment of different tobaccos, appreciation of different pipes and thoughts while smoking have been completely solitary. No complaints really as I am naturally a creature of solitude.

But as luck would have it both the Summit and little guesthouse where I have been staying for the last few days is in the same neighbourhood as the best pipeshop in Seoul, Pipe Story. And even better, Mr. Lee, the proprietor has made space for a humble little smoking lounge for those Seoulites who cherish the leaf. Every night I have finally had the opportunity to sit, talk and share tobacco with people like me. Luckily I speak Korean so I could converse with all the guys there.

And you know...pipe smokers really are a fantastic breed. I will be honest and say that I have always found it difficult to make friends with Korean guys. They are always competitive and overly insecure so it makes hanging out with them awkward (they're either bragging or asking you questions for the purpose of judging). Not these guys...like most people drawn to pipe smoking they were mellow, thoughtful and down to earth. Its been a real breath of fresh air for me.

Tomorrow is the last day of the summit so I shall have to grab a bus back to the hinterland and get back to my usual routine of smoking with no one but my own shadow. I just had to write and express my joy at having had the opportunity to sit among my own kind.

What did we smoke?

I had some Escudo which I willingly shared and was gladly appreciated by all because its not readily available here. In turn I got to enjoy some SG Winter Time Flake and Bothy Flake. I was also offered some aromatic mixture called Harlekin or something. I wouldn't normally put something like that in my pipe but I graciously accepted because who knows when someone will share tobacco with me again. In the name of friendship I figured.

We then hit some cigars and I had an Arturo Fuente Shortstory and today I had a Jaime Garcia robusto.

Cheers everyone!

That sounds fantastic. What a treat to be able to share time with like minded individuals despite the culture difference. Sounds like you found the perfect place to hang out when you're in Seoul.

FYI, my brewery exports our beer in both bottles and kegs, and draught Root Beer to Seoul. If you'd like I can find out where it's on offer for your next visit there.

Cheers,

RR

Hey Brewdude. If I'm not mistaken its at Craftworks Brewhouse in Itaewon (I read about your brewery via a link in a previous thread...being from the PNW and an aspiring brewer myself of course I was intrigued). Itaewon is a bit of a jaunt from Hongdae where I am staying but get this...a Craftworks is opening in my town of Sokcho soon.
Sokcho has the freshest water in Korea. Its a hard water suitable for ales so they are establishing a brewery there and there is plans to have a brewpub on site too. Hopefully they will stock it with your beer. I would love to taste your brews...and rootbeer? Heaven...haven't had that for about 8 years.

By the way...Happy New Year everyone. We just finished celebrating the Lunar new year here. For me it meant a week in the countryside at the wife's folks place observing the usual rituals, chopping wood, feeding the wood burning boiler, getting things ready for spring planting, bombing around on the father-in-law's motorcycle and drinking makkeolli (are you familiar with that Brewdude...its a kind of milky rice beer concoction (6%) that only the Koreans have a taste for, now me too). You quaff it down in bowls and dish it out with a ladle. They claim its good for health but then again they say that about everything.

I wish everyone a healthy and fulfilling 2016!

Great story Mr. Smith, I too live in such a place and deal with it as you do.
But, the occasional visit of a BOB member here always brings joy to me heart
being able to converse and enjoy a bowl together. I may have to give up my
confirmed hermit license but, it is well worth it. ;)

That's a great story. Always nice to enjoy the company of fellow smokers. Still good people out there.

Excellent tale of a great experience! It seems once a commonality is found, all other differences become more of an interesting curiosity to be indulged.

Most excellent..............

Hello Mr. Smith,

I'm currently stationed in Seoul. I've got about 9 months left. What part of town was this awesome pipe shop? I've brought my small pipe collection with me and would love to pick up a few tins. Great story!

I figured you two Korea guys would hook up sooner rather than later, or should I say 'merican guys currently living in S. Korea. Glad you could make contact.

Cheers,

RR

Hi New Smoke

That shop is called Pipe Story and its in Hongdae neighborhood. If on the subway you get off at Hongik stn and exit number 7 gate (i think) its around there on a main road.

Here is the link:

www.lightertime.co.kr

There is a map and instructions on that site. Its all in Korean so u may need someone to help you out.

Great cigars there too.

Cheers!

Perfect, thanks! I may try and head over there today. There used to be a nice shop at the JW Marriott (according to the internet), but it closed. Unfortunately, I didn't find that out until after a couple of train rides.

Found it. Good directions. Thanks! This is very nice pipe and tobacco shop. I picked up a tin of Ashton Gold Rush. Pretty smooth. Not quite as aromatic as I hoped, but it is mild. I haven't smoked in a few years, so not a bad starter tin.

Awesome! Glad to hear you found it. I agree its really nice.
Too bad about Marriot...I went there a lot over the years and it was great around 6 years ago...then it just got neglected. Stock ran out and that was that. Last time I went about 4 months ago the walk in humidor was completely empty and they had about 8 tins of McClelland offerings. And a million cigar accessories.

There is another place too:

cigarstory.co kr

As the name implies its a cigar shop but he sells pipes and some tobacco too (only McClelland and Davidoff). Ive never been there but I did have some cigars delivered. He has a licensed lounge called the Puff Bar. Might be worth a night out. Its in Bundang.

Enjoy the Ashton!

Awesome! Glad to hear you found it. I agree its really nice.
Too bad about Marriot...I went there a lot over the years and it was great around 6 years ago...then it just got neglected. Stock ran out and that was that. Last time I went about 4 months ago the walk in humidor was completely empty and they had about 8 tins of McClelland offerings. And a million cigar accessories.

There is another place too:

cigarstory.co kr

As the name implies its a cigar shop but he sells pipes and some tobacco too (only McClelland and Davidoff). Ive never been there but I did have some cigars delivered. He has a licensed lounge called the Puff Bar. Might be worth a night out. Its in Bundang.

Enjoy the Ashton!

I love reading these type of threads - any pictures of the shop or your friends?